Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Gina took classes at the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in New York City.
She was a bright student and even managed to qualify for higher education in colleges but due to financial restraints, could not pursue the same and instead took up performance.
- Father – Richard Torres (Newspaper Typesetter. Worked for La Prensa and The New York Daily News)
- Mother – Rebecca Torres
- Siblings – Gina has two older siblings.
Gina Torres is represented by
- Joe Vance of Domain Talent Agency, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Mary Ellen Mulcahy of Framework Entertainment, Los Angeles, California, USA.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gina Torres has dated –
- Laurence Fishburne (2001-2016) – Gina Torres was married to Laurence Fishburne for 14 glorious years. They were engaged for a year since February 2001; before tying the knot on September 22, 2002, at the Cloisters Museum in New York City. The couple quietly parted ways in September 2016 before applying for the divorce on November 3, 2017. The couple had worked together on several projects and was even portrayed as an onscreen married couple in the TV show, Hannibal. Gina cited personal reasons for their decision to split. The couple has a daughter Delilah (b. 2007).
- Kevin Wright (2017) – Amidst trouble brewing in her married life, Gina was spotted with a new man, identified as Kevin Wright, early in September 2017. They were seen together in Studio City enjoying an intimate lunch date. They were even sighted kissing each other. Kevin Wright is an entrepreneur from Utah who too had split from a 20-year-old marriage in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Gina is of Cuban heritage.
- Attractive tall figure
- Lusciously beautiful lips
- Before she became a huge name in the industry, Gina appeared in a Quick Draw Lottery commercial.
- Gina joined forces with Characters Unite, an award-winning public service program, to feature in CB2 TV commercial “I Won’t Stand For”.
Best Known For
- Her role as a fearless and justifiable lawyer Jessica Lourdes Pearson in the TV show Suits.
- Her character as Zoe Washburne in Firefly from 2002 to 2003.
- Her appearances in Matrix movie series and Fox action thriller 24.
In 1996, Gina made her film debut in a minor role in the romantic drama, Bed of Roses, playing the character Francine.
First TV Show
In 1992, Gina appeared in an episode of the TV show Unnatural Pursuits as Silken.
Gina believes in preparing for her roles physically. She learned stunts and martial arts for her role in Cleopatra 2525.
Gina Torres Favorite Things
- Go-To Karaoke Song – “Papa, can you hear me?” from move Yenti
- Scariest Movie – The Exorcist (1973)
- Favorite Movies – All About Eve, Singin’ In The Rain, An American in Paris
- Favorite Destination – New Zealand
- Favorite Movie for Quotes – All About Eve
- Biggest Challenge in Acting – Weather, natural causes.
Gina Torres Facts
- Gina Torres began singing in choirs at an early age. She is a recognized mezzo-soprano singer and a qualified opera and jazz singer.
- Before trying out for TV shows and films, Gina appeared in various roles in different musicals and classic plays such as Dreamgirls, Antigone and Blood Wedding.
- Gina can speak in Spanish and Russian.
- She won an award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Syndicated Drama Series by American Latino Media Arts (ALMA) in 2001.
- She has at many times contributed her voice for characters in animated movies such as Cartoon Network’s Justice League Unlimited, Transformers: Prime, and Niobe on the computer game The Matrix Online.
- Know more about Gina Torres from her official website @ gina-torres.com.
- Gina Torres has no official Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages.
Featured Image by Genevieve / Flickr / CC BY 2.0