|Guy Sebastian Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 inches|
|Date of Birth||October 26, 1981|
Guy Sebastian is a Malaysian-born Australian singer and songwriter. He is best known for being the winner of the Australian singing reality show Australian Idol in 2003 and has served as the judge on the Australian television reality music competition The X Factor in the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016. He was also the representer of Australia at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2015 where he was placed 5th.
Guy Theodore Sebastian
Sebastian did his schooling from King’s Baptist Grammar School. Later, he went to the University of South Australia where he studied Medical Radiation but dropped out in between to pursue his dream of music. He later studied Music Technology at the University of Adelaide’s Elder School of Music.
Singer-Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Ivan Sebastian (Geologist)
- Mother – Nellie Sebastian
- Siblings – Ollie Sebastian (Older Brother), Chris Sebastian (Younger Brother), Jeremy Sebastian (Younger Brother)
Guy is represented by Six Degrees Management.
Pop, Soul, R&B, Gospel
Vocals, Violin, Guitar, Piano/Keyboards, Drums
- The Cherry Party
- RCA Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Guy has dated –
- Jules Egan (1999-Present) – Guy started dating Jules in 1999 and after 8 years, the couple got engaged in 2007. They later tied the knot on May 17, 2008, in Manly, Sydney and are proud parents to 2 sons named Hudson (b. 2012) and Archer (b. 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Asian)
He has English and Portuguese descent on his mother’s side and is of Ceylonese descent on his father’s side.
- Chubby Face
- Broad Nose
Best Known For
- Being the winner of the first Australian Idol in 2003 and a judge on Australia’s The X Factor in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016
- Representing Australia at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest and finishing the contest at 5th place
- Being the coach on The Voice Australia in 2019
Guy released his first studio album Just as I Am in December 2003. The album peaked at number 1 on The ARIA Charts and at number 5 on The Official New Zealand Music Chart.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance on Australian Idol as ‘Himself’ in 2003.
As per an interview in August 2017, Guy revealed that he joined Transformation Coach’s Chief Brabon and Em Brabon-Hames, who specialized in life-altering transformations and went through a body transformation in just 8 weeks. He was able to add 8 cm to his chest, removed 7 cm from his waist. His body-fat percentage also drastically converted from 19.1 percent to 7.7 percent. There were 4 workouts per week, each focusing on a particular body part such as the chest, back, arms, shoulders whereas core and legs remained a constant focus. The workouts that Guy included in his routine were incline dumbbell fly, step-ups, flat bench fly, bodyweight squats, push-ups, battle ropes, and battle ropes in one arm plank position.
Guy Sebastian Facts
- As a child, Guy took violin lessons and later went on to learn guitar, drums, and piano.
- He also joined choirs of Paradise Community Church and Assemblies of God church where he also served as one of their main worship singers and sang with the Paradise Community Church Youth Conference Planetshakers and in the years 2002 and 2003 he performed as both lead and backup vocals for their conferences and albums.
- While pursuing his studies in Music Technology, he also taught vocals at Temple Christian College and other high schools.
- In May 2003, he auditioned for Australian singing reality show Australian Idol where he established a strong fanbase and went on to win the show in November 2003 and signed a contract with recording label BMG that later merged with Sony.
- Guy has been named among the top 10 contesters who have an album and 6 singles out of which 2 were placed in the first place and gained 6 ‘platinum’ and 3 ‘gold’ certifications in New Zealand.
- He sang the song Angels Brought Me Here that made him the winner of the Australian Idol. The song peaked at number 1 on ARIA Singles Chart, was also a 5X platinum and in 2010, it was named the highest-selling song of the decade.
- While in the Australian Idol, he gained popularity because of his afro that contributed to his image. In an interview, he said that he just randomly decided one day that he would not cut his hair and so it grew bigger and the inspiration behind it was Lenny Kravitz.
- After Australian Idol, he went to the United Kingdom and took part in World Idol where he made a strong impression on everyone but was placed 7th.
- In 2013, Guy and his wife Jules founded The Sebastian Foundation.
- He has worked with some of the famous musicians including Brian McKnight, Robin Thicke, Steve Cropper, John Mayer, Jordin Sparks, Eve, and Lupe Fiasco.
- Besides singing, Guy is also active in charity work and has served as an ambassador for charities like Ronald McDonald House, Australian Red Cross, Golden Stave, and World Vision Australia.
- Guy has won several awards for his music including ARIA Awards, ARIA No. 1 Chart Awards, APRA Awards, Australian Club Entertainment Awards, Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, Urban Music Awards, and a Channel V Artist of the Year Award.
- In 2019, he became a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) at the 2019 Queen’s Birthday Honours for of his work in the music industry and charity.
- In June 2020, he released a new single titled Standing with You. The song won the “ARIA Award for Best Video” at the 2020 ARIA Music Awards.
- In October 2020, Guy released his 9th studio album titled T.R.U.T.H., which debuted at number 1 on the ARIA charts.
- In May 2022, he filed a lawsuit against his former manager, Titus Day, accusing him of embezzling $900,000. In June 2022, Titus was found guilty of having embezzled Sebastian of $620,000.
- Visit his official website @ guysebastian.com.
- Follow Guy Sebastian on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0