Designed by Tyler Graham, Health writer and Drew Ramsey, Clinical Psychiatrist at Columbia University, Happiness Diet is all about boosting up your energy and developing right mood and attitude in you. Happiness diet is mainly a plant based diet plan. However, the diet plan also contains numerous animal food items.
You all know that unhealthy and processed food items are the main culprits responsible for the development of flab around various parts of your body. However, you might not be aware of the fact that the same unhealthy foods are responsible for anxiety, mood swings, and depression in you.
What is Modern American Diet (MAD)?
Over last few years, there has been a revolution in the consumption of food items in America. Instead of naturally obtained animal and plant foods, industrialized food items have taken upper hand and have spoiled the entire diet regime of Americans. Ramsey contends that Modern American Diet (MAD) is the main culprit, responsible for obesity and stress among Americans.
Since manufacturing of foods takes away vital nutrients from foods, processed foods adversely affect the emotional and mental health of people. Our brain being made up of food requires healthy and nutrient dense foods for being nourished.
MAD provides your body refined carbs, sugar, and unhealthy fats such as omega-6 fats, which might not lead to cardiac diseases but certainly can take you towards depression. Undernourished brain and an obese body are directly proportional to each other.
What is Happiness Diet?
Ramsey asserts that various weight loss plans claim to burn calories from your body through their exclusive diet plans. However, they overlook the diet, which can boost up your energy. Happiness diet will introduce such food items in your diet, which will effectively make you feel energized and full of beans. Vitamin B12, magnesium, iron, and linoleic acid are the minerals and elements, responsible for making you feel happy and confident.
Since not all food items are beneficial and have positive impacts on your brain, Ramsey has made a list of tasty and yummy food items, which will bring your mind in sync with your body. Should both of them are in perfect alignment with each other, the results are bound to be amazing.
Special Importance Given to Brain Nourishment in Happiness Diet
Happiness diet consists of healthy food items such as olive oil, whole grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables. They all are effective not only in melting weight, but also in making your mood cheerful.
In the mad race of getting slim, people are focusing more on low-fat, low-carb diet, which not only makes your body devoid of nutrients, but also affect the normal functioning of your brain. Since your brain controls the activities of different parts of your body, it has to be nourished adequately.
Ramsey has thoroughly studied human psychology and found that most of the people today are resistant towards spending money on expensive food items. And the research data shows that the ratio of money spent on healthy food items have drastically gone down over last two decades.
The diet plan consists of effective shopping tips, smart slimming strategies, brain building recipes, and kitchen loading tips; they will all make you feel happy and cheerful.
Swap Processed Foods with Healthy Food Items
You need to swap your unhealthy food items with healthy food items. Majority of diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol level etc. have direct relation with your mood. These diseases make you feel irritated all the while. Junk foods and easily available snacks such as burgers, Pizza, chips etc. pile up toxins inside your body and give birth to obesity and myriad mental and emotional problems.
Butter, Yogurt, green-fed beef are like antidotes. Apart from assisting your body in stabilizing your mind, these food items will also bless you with a sharp and intellectual mind.
You Can Swap Following Food Items
- Replace conventionally raised ham with naturally raised ham, or with salmon. Conventional ham consists of nitrate preservative, salts, and sugars; these might adversely affect both your body and brain.
- Replace processed low-fat cheese with cheese obtained from locally raised goat. You will get omega-3 fat and linoleic acid from that.
- Replace hot cross buns with vegetable frittata made up of eggs. Eggs act like catalysts to your brain.
- Replace your normal chocolates with dark chocolates, for they contain more antioxidants. And their antioxidant property will increase the blood circulation in your body and will aid in availing blood to your brain.
Common Mistakes People Make
Let’s have a look at the common mistakes people make while selecting their food items.
- Americans generally bank on counting the number of calories and overlook portion control. Instead of just looking at the number of calories contained in any particular food item, they rather should rely on ingredients. Food items having rich content of nutrients and minerals such as vitamin B12, zinc, iron, iodine etc. inevitably are good for you.
- They count more on food supplements than natural foods, And one of the reasons why they do so is supplements are inexpensive as compared to natural foods. However, they actually need to understand the fact that no supplement can nourish your body as efficiently as natural foods do.
Food Controls Your Body and Mind
The diet plan will change your perspective and will make you more prudent about your diet. Since nutrient loaded diet is vital not only for the health of your body but also for your mind, you will begin looking at foods with a different attitude. Apart from shedding weight from your body, nutrient packed foods will also ensure good health of your brain.
You cannot expect to have a sharp brain and cheerful mood, should you continue feeding trash to your body. Happiness diet will save you from the monotonous diet of industrialized food and will provide you wide array of yum food items.
The problem with us is that we all know about the value of wholesome foods right from our childhood, but we are too sluggish to incorporate them in our routine life. Happiness diet is like an eye opener to all of us. The diet plan will educate us how to slowly and gradually march towards good foods and make them inseparable part of our lives.