|Ian McKellen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 25, 1939|
Ian McKellen is an English Actor well known for his stage acting roles in Shakespeare’s plays, science fiction, and fantasy movies. He has acted in movies such as Richard III, The Lord of the Rings, Gods and Monsters, The Hobbit, A Man for all Seasons, A Scent of Flowers, Othello, The Tempest, Apt Pupil, among others.
Ian has a number of awards and nominations under his belt including Golden Globe Awards, Laurence Olivier Awards, Drama Desk Awards, Emmy Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, Tony Award, and many more.
He is considered a ‘Cultural Icon,’ was ‘Knighted’ in 1991, in 1979 he was appointed ‘Commander of the Order of the British Empire,’ in 2008 he was made a ‘Companion of Honour,’ and in 2004 got ‘Freedom of the City of London’ award for for gay rights activism. He is an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church, has an honorary ‘Doctorate of Letters’ from Cambridge University, and is a Fellow of St Catherine’s College, Oxford.
Ian Murray McKellen
Burnley, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Limehouse, United Kingdom
Ian McKellen attended Bolton School, The Bolton Little Theatre as well as St Catharine’s College, Cambridge.
Actor, Writer, Voice Artist
- Father – Denis Murray McKellen (Civil Engineer)
- Mother – Margery Lois McKellen
- Siblings – Jean McKellen (Older Sister)
- Others – Gladys McKellen (Stepmom)
Ian McKellen is managed by –
- Independent Talent Group Ltd. (Talent Agency), London, UK
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent Voice/Commercial), Los Angeles, California, USA
- CLD Communications (Publicist), London, England, UK
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ian McKellen has dated –
- Greg Nickels – Ian has been linked to Greg but there isn’t much information about their relationship.
- Rupert Everett – Ian and the British actor Rupert Everett dated somewhere in the past.
- Brian Taylor (1964-1972) – Ian and Brian, a history teacher started dating in 1964. They dated for almost 7 years before breaking up in 1972.
- Sean Mathias (1978-1988) – Ian and Sean dated from 1978 to 1988. Their relationship had its fair share of conflict but they remained friends after parting.
- Nick Cuthell (2002-2003) – Ian and Nick dated for one year from 2002 to 2003.
- Patrick Stewart – Ian was rumored to have hooked up with the British actor Patrick Stewart in the past.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Scottish and Irish descent.
A tattoo on his upper arm of the Elvish character
Ian McKellen has endorsed Age UK, a charity organization.
Best Known For
- Stage acting in plays such as A Man for All Seasons, A Scent of Flowers, Macbeth, Othello, King Lear, among others
- Appearing in film and TV roles such as A touch of Love, Six Degrees of Separation, Apt Pupil, X-Men, among others
- Hosting the shows like Saturday Night Live
- Narrating books like Wolf Brother, Soul Eater, Heartbreaker, Ghost Hunter, among others
Ian McKellen made his theatrical film debut as George Matthews in the 1969 film A Touch of Love.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut on the TV miniseries Tales of the City in 1993.
Ian McKellen Favorite Things
- Sport – Cricket
- Music – Classical, Pop, American Jazz
- Historical Character – William Shakespeare
Ian McKellen Facts
- He has won almost all the major theatrical awards.
- His sister Jean is 5 years his senior.
- His father was a lay preacher and he grew up in a strong Christian home.
- Ian’s mother died of breast cancer when he was 12 years of age.
- His father died when he was 24 years old.
- His fascination with theatre began when he was 3 years old when his parents took him to the Opera House to watch Peter Pan.
- He has appeared in the Simpsons in the ‘Regina Monologues.’
- Ian was the narrator of Richard Bell’s Eighteen.
- He does not eat meat but he likes to eat fish.
- In 2006, he had a prostate cancer diagnosis. He said that the disease was contained and did not need any treatment.
- He became an ordained minister so that he could preside over the wedding of Patrick Stewart.
- Ian came out as fully gay in 1988, although he had made it known to his fellow actors before that. He made the announcement in a BBC Radio program.
- He is very active in LGBT rights but he also cares about religion, capital punishment, nuclear weapons, etc.
- Ian co-founded Stonewall, a gay rights lobby group.
- He was given the nickname “Serena” by Stephen Frey.
- Ian became a patron of Oxford pride in 2006.
- He was named in Out Magazine‘s annual “Out 100” list in December 2008.
- He is a cricket fan and umpired a match in 2011 to support victims of Christchurch earthquake that happened in February 2011.
- Ian is an honorary board member of the “Make Believe Organization” that performs plays for children’s care facilities and hospitals.
- An interview in the Singapore morning show ended abruptly when he asked for a recommendation to a gay bar.
- He has been part of music videos like ‘Falling Out of Reach’ by Guillemots, ‘Heart’ by Pet Shop Boys, ‘Invisible Light’ by Scissor Sisters, ‘Listen to the Man’ by George Ezra, among others.
- Ian has narrated Wolf Brother by Michael Pavers. He has also narrated ‘Soul Eater,’ ‘Heartbreaker,’ ‘Ghost Hunter,’ ‘Odyssey,’ and ‘Spirit Walker.’
- Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher recommended him for a “Knighthood.”
- Acting was an escape for him. He used it to mourn his mother and to escape the bullying at school.
- He got a 2:2 Final grade in English at Cambridge University.
- At some point in his life, he inspired to be a journalist.
- The role of Gandalf in Lord of the Rings required that he wears a prosthetic nose.
- He identified with the X-men characters because like the mutants, he had been shunned in real life especially when he came out as gay.
- He is the only performer to receive a nomination for “Acting Academy Award” for his role in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
- Ian came in at the No.1 position in the “Sunday 2006 Pink” list which features the most influential gay men and women.
- In 2005, he took part in London’s Gay Pride Parade.
- He has played Magneto in 3 X-Men movies.
- He regrets turning down the role of Kenneth Halliwell in the 1987 Stephen Frear film Prick Up Your Ears.
- Follow him on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Featured Image by Ian McKellen / Instagram