|João Cancelo Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||May 27, 1994|
João Cancelo is a Portuguese professional soccer player who has represented, as a defender, S.L. Benfica B (2012-2014) and S.L. Benfica (2014-2015) in Portugal; Valencia CF (2015-2018) in Spain; Juventus F.C. (2018-2019) in Italy; and Manchester City F.C. (2019-Present) in England. He has also spent loan spells with Valencia CF (2014-2015) and Italian giants Inter Milan (2017-2018). With S.L. Benfica, he won the Primeira Liga (the top tier of the Portuguese soccer league system) title in the 2013-14 season. It was the club’s record-extending 33rd such title. With Juventus F.C., João won the Serie A (the top tier of the Italian soccer league system) title in the 2018-19 season. It was the club’s record-extending 35th such title. With the club, he also won the Supercoppa Italiana in 2018. It was the club’s record-extending 8th such title. The Supercoppa Italiana is annually decided by a one-off match played between the winners of the previous season’s Serie A and Coppa Italia (the premier domestic knockout soccer competition in Italy) competitions. With Manchester City F.C., João won the Premier League (the top tier of the English soccer league system) title in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, and the EFL Cup (an annual domestic knockout competition that is open to clubs within the top 4 levels of the English soccer league system) in the 2020-21 season. The club’s 2021-22 Premier League title was its 6th such and made it the then 2nd-most successful team in the competition. The club’s 2020-21 EFL Cup triumph was its 8th such and made it the then 2nd-most successful team in the competition.
João Pedro Cavaco Cancelo
Barreiro, Setúbal District, Portugal
He splits his time between Portugal and Manchester, England, United Kingdom.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Joseph Cancelo
- Mother – Filomena Cavaco (d. January 2013)
- Siblings – Pedro Cancelo (Younger Brother) (Soccer Player)
He has been represented by Polaris Sports, Talent Management Firm, Porto, Portugal.
- 21, 16, 15, 20, 2 – Portugal
- 50, 70 – S.L. Benfica B
- 50, 70, 25 – S.L. Benfica
- 2, 7 – Valencia CF
- 7 – Inter Milan
- 20 – Juventus F.C.
- 27, 7 – Manchester City F.C.
6 ft or 183 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
João has dated –
- Daniela Machado (2011-Present) – João began dating Daniela Machado in 2011 and the couple eventually got engaged in July 2021. They have a daughter together named Alicia (b. December 2019). In December 2021, their home was robbed by 4 men who stole some jewelry. João suffered some facial injuries when he confronted them.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Portuguese descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
- Has both his hands and his entire upper chest covered in tattoos
He has been sponsored by Nike, Inc., an American multinational footwear, apparel, and sports equipment brand.
João Cancelo Facts
- João started his youth career in 2002 when, as an 8-year-old, he joined a local club called F.C. Barreirense. In 2007, he was recruited by the youth system of S.L. Benfica, a professional soccer club based in Lisbon that is part of the ‘Big Three’ soccer clubs in Portugal – the others being Sporting CP and FC Porto.
- His senior career started in 2012 when he started turning out for S.L. Benfica B. It is the reserve team of S.L. Benfica and competes in the 2nd-highest division of the Portuguese soccer league system.
- In January 2013, his mother was killed in a car accident in Seixal, a Portuguese city in the district of Setúbal. João and his brother were asleep in the car and suffered minor injuries. The trauma caused by the incident nearly forced João into giving up his soccer career.
- In 2015, he was a part of the Portuguese squad that finished as the runner-up at the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) European Under-21 Championship. He was a substitute for Raphaël Guerreiro midway through the 2nd half of Portugal’s 5-0 semi-final win over Germany. It was his only appearance in the tournament.
- At the international level, João represented Portugal at the under-16, under-17, under-18, under-19, under-20, and under-21 tiers before making his senior national debut in September 2016. In that debut match, a 5-0 friendly win over Gibraltar, he had scored the 3rd goal.
- He was included in the ‘Serie A Team of the Year’ in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.
- With Portugal, João won the 2018-19 edition of the UEFA Nations League, the inaugural season of a continental competition that involves the men’s national teams of the 55 members of the UEFA.
- In August 2019, he joined Manchester City F.C. on a 6-year deal reportedly worth about €60 million (£55 million). This made João the then-most expensive right-back ever.
- With Manchester City F.C., he reached the final of the 2020-21 season of the UEFA Champions League (the most prestigious club competition in European soccer). This was the club’s 1st appearance in the final of the tournament.
- For his performances in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, representing Manchester City F.C., João was included in the ‘PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association) Premier League Team of the Year’ as well as the ‘ESM (European Sports Media) Team of the Year’. The PFA is the trade union for professional soccer players in England and Wales. ESM is an association of soccer-related publications in Europe. Each of its members selects the 11 best players in the European leagues each month and the players who most often appear in those teams are elected into the ‘ESM Team of the Year’.
Featured Image by João Cancelo / Instagram