|Jack Albertson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 16, 1907|
|Date of Death||November 25, 1981|
Jack Albertson was an American actor, stage artist, voice actor, comedian, dancer, radio personality, and singer known for his roles like playing John Cleary in the Metrocolor drama film The Subject Was Roses, Ed Brown in the NBC sitcom Chico and the Man, Lt. Harry Evans in the weekly television series The Thin Man, Grandpa Joe Bucket in the musical fantasy film Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Paul Fenton in the CBS sitcom Mister Ed, Walter Burton in the ABC sitcom Room for One More, Lt. Cdr. Virgil Stoner in the television sitcom Ensign O’Toole, Senator Joe Kelley in the NBC comedy-drama series Grandpa Goes to Washington, and Manny Rosen in the disaster film The Poseidon Adventure. He was also cast in many other films such as Next Time I Marry, Bring Your Smile Along, The Harder They Fall, The Unguarded Moment, You Can’t Run Away from It, Man of a Thousand Faces, Don’t Go Near the Water, Never Steal Anything Small, The George Raft Story, Days of Wine and Roses, How to Murder Your Wife, How to Save a Marriage and Ruin Your Life, The Fox and the Hound, and The Late Liz. In 1977, Jack Albertson received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6253 Hollywood Boulevard.
Jack Albertson, John Alberts
Jack Albertson was born on June 16, 1907.
On November 25, 1981, he died from colon cancer at the age of 74 in his home in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Malden, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
He resided in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Jack Albertson dropped out of high school.
Actor, Stage Artist, Voice Actor, Comedian, Dancer, Radio Personality, Singer
- Father – Leopold Albertson
- Mother – Flora (née Craft) (A stock actor who supported the family by working in a shoe factory)
- Siblings – Mabel Albertson (July 24, 1901 – September 28, 1982) (Older Sister) (Actor, Stage Artist, Radio Personality)
- Others – Hirsch Albertson (Paternal Grandfather), Anna Blicarsky/Blicarska (Paternal Grandmother), Luis Craft/Kraft (Maternal Grandfather), Rosa Zalmanovitz (Maternal Grandmother), Alex Erlich (Stepfather) (Barber), George Englund (June 22, 1926 – September 14, 2017) (Nephew) (Film Editor, Director, Producer, Actor), Kholan Studi (Grandson) (Actor, Writer)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jack Albertson had dated –
- June Wallace Thomson (1952-1981) – He got married to June Wallace Thomson in the year 1952 and they were blessed with a daughter named Maura Dhu Studi. The couple remained together until Jack’s death in 1981.
Race / Ethnicity
Jack Albertson was of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
Salt and Pepper
Jack Albertson Facts
- His parents were Russian-Jewish immigrants.
- His father left his mother before Jack was born and Jack was then raised by his stepfather.
- After dropping out of high school, Jack Albertson worked at several different jobs including the local General Electric plant; in one of many shoe factories in the Lynn, Massachusetts area; and as a rack boy in neighborhood pool parlors, where he was a fairly good pool hustler.
- It was the pool hall that provided Albertson with an opportunity to learn a few tap dance routines from his fellow hustlers.
- Jack Albertson sang with a group named The Golden Rule Four, which held its practice sessions beneath a railroad bridge.
- He co-starred as John Cleary in the 1968 film The Subject Was Roses and this performance won him the Academy Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category.
- In a New York Daily News interview with Sidney Fields in 1972, Albertson stated: “I was bright but disruptive. I didn’t do homework. To cover, I made wisecracks and funny faces at the teachers. They told me to take my business elsewhere.”
- He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 1978 but he kept the information private and continued to act.
- Jack Albertson was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the Pacific Ocean.
Featured Image by Dany Mercury / Pinterest
His eyes were hazel
His eye color was hazel.
His weight was 81 kg