|James Spader Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||February 07, 1960|
James Spader is an American actor, producer, and voice actor who is well known for his role in the TV series The Blacklist. Other outstanding roles he has undertaken are in Stargate and Boston Legal. His performance in the 1989 movie S*x, Lies, and Videotape is what propelled him to fame.
James has received several awards for the roles he has played including Emmy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, People’s Choice Awards, Primetime Emmy Awards, Saturn Awards, among others.
James Todd Spader
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
New York, United States
James Spader attended The Pike School, the Brooks School, and The Phillips Academy.
Actor, Producer, Voice Actor
- Father – Stoddard Greenwood “Todd” Spader (Teacher)
- Mother – Jean Fraser Spader (Teacher)
- Siblings – Libby Spader (Sister), Annie Spader (Sister)
James Spader is managed by ICM Partners (Talent and Literary Agency), Los Angeles, United States.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Spader has dated –
- Victoria Kheel (1987-2004) – Spader was previously married to Victoria Kheel. They have 2 sons together, Sebastian (b. 1989) and Elijah (b. 1992). They divorced in 2004.
- Leslie Stefanson (2002-Present) – James and model Leslie Stefanson started dating in 2002. They have a son named Nathanial (b. 2008).
Race / Ethnicity
He has French, Scottish, German, Dutch, and Swiss-German ancestry.
- Speaks with a drawl
- Rich voice
James Spader has appeared in a number of commercials for the Luxury vehicles company, Acura in 2011 and 2012.
Best Known For
- Acting in films such as Endless Love as Keith Butterfield, Pretty in Pink as Steff, The Rachel Papers as Deforest, The Stickup as John Parker, The Homes man as Aloysius Duffy, Avengers: Age of Ultron as Ultron, among others
- Starring in TV shows such as The Blacklist as Raymond “Red” Reddington, Boston Legal as Alan Shore, Seinfeld as Jason “Stanky” Hanky, among others
James Spader made his theatrical film debut as Jimmy in the 1978 film Team-Mates.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as Jake Nichols on the TV show The Family Tree in 1983.
There is not much information about his fitness routine but James Spader has in the past taught yoga and we believe that this is how he keeps fit.
James Spader Favorite Things
- Pastime – Reading, Eating and Spending time with the family
Source – Sydney Morning Herald
James Spader Facts
- James won an Emmy for both The Practice and Boston Legal for playing the same Alan Shore character in both TV shows.
- He prefers playing quirky character roles and does not focus too much on the money aspect.
- The Blacklist character is one of his favorite roles because of the constant plot twists and turns.
- He refers to his childhood home as Liberal and progressive.
- He refers to his siblings and mother as influential and progressive which has left a great impression on him.
- Before acting, he did jobs like teaching yoga, loading railroad cars, driving a meat truck, and working as a stable boy.
- He dropped out of school at the age of 17 to pursue acting in New York.
- Despite starting out in 1981 in the movie Endless Love, he only rose to stardom in 1986 after playing the playboy role in the movie Pretty in Pink.
- He narrated “China revealed” in the Discovery Channel documentary Discovery Atlas.
- He has done voice-overs for several Acura commercials.
- He suffers from obsessive-compulsive issues like sticking to a particular routine all the time and extreme attention to detail. He notes that he is not easygoing.
- On set, he does not like to see people eating due to his OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder).
- He shares equal custody of his children with ex-wife Victoria.
- James and Victoria met when he was a yoga trainer in New York.
- He started dating Leslie Stefanson before officially divorcing Victoria.
- He is a fan of Charles Laughton and Bob Dylan.
- His ex-wife Victoria did the decor for the set in the movie S*x, Lies, and Videotape in 1989.
- He does not watch any movie he has acted in.
- He is an excellent cook.
- Without his glasses, he can barely see.
- While James is known for playing less than savory characters, he is in real life a very friendly person.
- He can look at a script once and remember it because of his eidetic memory.
- James went to Phillips Academy with John Kennedy Jr and they remained close friends.
- He prefers not to work when he does not need the money. He negotiates his pay for a film based on what he will need to survive on within a certain time period.
- He likes to spend time with his family, travel, listen to music or read.
- James is comfortable not working for living for up to a year because he says he prefers to ‘live’ and just do a little acting on the side.
- As a child, he would watch movies with cops and robbers and he wanted to grow up to be a cop or a robber, not to act the roles.
- To him, acting is a job and a passion, and no one should feel ashamed for taking a job because they need the money.
- He was described as ‘Scary’ after many audition readings because of how his anxiety would manifest itself.
- In 1989, he won “Best Actor” award in the Cannes Film Festival.
- He has won Primetime Emmy Awards in 2004, 2005 and 2007 for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series” once for The Practice and twice for Boston Legal.
- He won the 2006 Satellite Awards for his role in Boston Legal for “Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy.”
- In 2013, he won the Southeastern Film Critics Association Awards for “Best Cast” in the movie Lincoln.
- He has a host of industry nominations to his name including 1990 Independent Spirit Awards, 1988 and 1994 Saturn Awards, 2013 Screen Actors Guild Awards among others.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Late Night with Seth Meyers / YouTube