|Javier Bardem Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¼ in|
|Date of Birth||March 1, 1969|
Javier Ángel Encinas Bardem
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
To hone his painting skills, Javier Bardem studied at the Escuela de Artes y Oficios in Madrid. He studied there for four years before deciding that he wasn’t a good enough painter.
- Father – José Carlos Encinas Doussinague (Businessman and environmentalist) (Died 1995)
- Mother – Pilar Bardem (Actress)
- Siblings – Carlos Bardem (Older Brother) (Actor), Mónica Bardem (Older Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Rafael Bardem Solé (Maternal Grandfather) (Actor), Matilde Muñoz Sampedro (Maternal Grandmother) (Actress), Juan Antonio Bardem (Uncle)(Screenwriter and director)
Javier Bardem is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
87 kg or 192 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Javier Bardem has dated
- Christina Pales (1991-2005) – Javier had been in a relationship with his English language teacher, Christina Pales, since 1991. They eventually broke up in 2005.
- Penelope Cruz (2007-Present) – Javier first met his current wife Penelope Cruz while working in the Spanish comedy-drama movie, Jamón Jamón, which was released in 1992 and had them playing lovers. However, as she was underage at the time, nothing happened between them. They were later cast in the Woody Allen film Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Nothing happened between them during the shooting as they were too shy and too professional. But on the last day of the shoot, a mutual friend of theirs threw a wrap-up party and he got drunk enough to make the first move. After beginning their relationship, they opted to keep their affair low key and even to this day, they rarely talk about their personal lives. They got married in The Bahamas in July 2010. The following year, she gave birth to their son in Los Angeles and they welcomed a baby girl into their family in 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Basque ancestry on his father’s side and Catalan ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Prominent nose
- Strong and heavy chin
Javier was raised in the Roman Catholic faith. But as an adult, he identifies himself as an atheist.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of assassin Anton Chigurh in the action thriller movie, No Country for Old Men.
- Having delivered excellent and critically acclaimed performances in movies such as Carne trémula, Boca a Boca, Los Lunes al sol, Skyfall, and Biutiful.
Javier made his theatrical film debut in 1981 in the comedy film El poderoso influjo de la luna (The Powerful Influence of the Moon). However, his role was uncredited.
His first credited performance came in the role of Jimmy in the erotic drama flick, Las edades de Lulú (The Ages of Lulu) in 1990.
First TV Show
In 1974, Javier made his first TV show appearance in the comedy TV series, El picaro (The Scoundrel). He was six years old at the time and his role was uncredited.
His first credited performance came in 1986 as Pablo in the Segunda enseñanza (Second Teaching).
Javier Bardem Favorite Things
- Films – The Godfather II (1974), The Deer Hunter (1978), One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), Welcome Mr. Marshall (Bienvenido Mister Marshall) (1953), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Music Band – Pearl Jam
Javier Bardem Facts
- Bardem was wayward while growing up and would get into fights and drink heavily in his young days. However, after getting in a bad fight that left his friends with broken bones, he decided that it was time to mend his ways.
- He became the first Spanish actor to be nominated for the Academy Award for his performance in the movie Before Night Falls.
- While growing up, he had little interest in becoming an actor as he was focused on making a career as a painter. In fact, he initially took acting jobs to support himself as a painter.
- He created history in 2008 by becoming the first Spanish actor to win an Academy Award after he was declared Best Supporting Actor for his tremendous performance in No Country for Old Men.
- Once at a disco, a stranger came up to him and asked his name. On hearing his reply, he punched Bardem in the face, leaving him with a broken nose. He never got to know why he was punched.
- To prepare for the role of Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls, he learned Cuban Spanish, as well as Cuban, accented English. He also went on to lose 30 pounds to resemble Arenas.
- To look like Ramón Sampedro, a 55-year-old Spanish man in the 2004 movie The Sea Inside, he used to arrive early on the sets for the five-hour-long tedious process to bring on an aged look.
- While growing up, he had a keen interest in rugby and even went on to play for the junior Spanish National Team.
- He had to overcome competition from Johnny Depp to bag the role of Florentino Ariza in Love in the Time of Cholera.
- In 2007, Empire magazine placed him at the #73 spot on the list featuring 100 Sexiest Stars in film history.
- His family owns a restaurant called La Bardemcilla in Spain. The restaurant is managed by his sister Monica Bardem.
- In November 2012, he was honored with his Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at the iconic 6834 Hollywood Boulevard. His star is placed in front of the El Capitan Theatre.
- After Christopher Walken and Christoph Waltz, he is the third Oscar-winning actor to have played the leading negative role in a James Bond movie.
- He questioned his desire to become an actor, in 1989, after he was made to wear a Superman costume for a comedic sketch on the Spanish comedy show El Día Por Delante (The Day Ahead).
- He has confessed in his interviews that during his early struggling days as an actor, he had worked as a stripper. However, he had to do that job for only a single day.
- In 2014, Bardem and his wife Penelope Cruz endorsed and signed an open letter that accused Israel of committing a genocide in the Israel-Gaza conflict.
- In 2005, he created a small controversy and drew the ire of Catholics in the aftermath of the legalization of same-sex marriage in Spain. He claimed that if he was gay, he would rush to get married the next day just to get the Catholic church pissed off.
- In 2011, he joined forces with John Prendergast, the co-founder of The Enough Project to draw attention to the conflict minerals in Eastern Congo.
- In 2005, a former model slapped a lawsuit against Bardem, in which she accused him of having broken her nose while dancing recklessly in a New York City nightclub.
- His parents separated shortly after his birth, so he was raised by his single mother. Since she worked as an actress, Javier spent most of his childhood on film sets and theaters.
- He is not on social media.
Featured Image by David Torcivia / Flickr / CC BY-SA 3.0