|Jonghyun (Kim Jong-hyun) Quick Info
|5 ft 8.5 in
|Date of Birth
|April 8, 1990
Jonghyun was a South Korean singer-songwriter, record producer, radio host, and author known for being the main vocalist of the South Korean boy group, SHINee, under SM Entertainment. He had written many songs for the group and had released numerous songs as a solo artist like Inspiration and Lonely.
Jonghyun, Bling Bling Jonghyun, Dino
Jonghyun was born on April 8, 1990.
Jonghyun died at the age of 27 on December 18, 2017, in an apartment in Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam District, Seoul, South Korea. The cause of death was said to be from inhaling either toxic fumes or smoke and it was declared a possible suicide.
Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin District, Seoul, South Korea
Jonghyun attended Chungwoon University. He was later transferred to Myongji University from where he graduated with a Master’s Degree in film and musical studies.
Singer-Songwriter, Radio Host, Author
- Siblings – Kim So-dam (Older Sister)
Jonghyun was represented by SM Entertainment.
K-pop, J-pop, R&B, EDM, Funk Rock, Hip Hop
Vocals, Piano, Guitar, Bass
- SM Entertainment
- Virgin Records
5 ft 8.5 in or 174 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jonghyun had dated –
- Shin Se-kyung (2010-2011) – After being linked to different K-Pop idols, Jonghyun finally revealed in August 2010, that he was dating Korean actress Shin Se-kyung. The couple was said to have had parted ways in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
He had South Korean ancestry.
He often dyed his hair ‘pink’, ‘white’, ‘silver’, ‘blonde’ and many other shades.
Jonghyun had done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Nana’s B
- Etude House
- The Saem
- Smart School uniform
- Ottogi Noodles
Best Known For
Being a vocalist of the popular South Korean boy group, SHINee, under SM Entertainment, which sold more than 180,000 copies of their EP Sherlock in 2012
With his band, SHINee, Jonghyun released his first album The Shinee World in 2008 which recorded the sales number of 88,000+ in Korea.
As a solo artist, he released his debut album She Is in May 2016. The album peaked at number 1 on the Korean music chart and number 4 on the Billboard Music chart.
Jonghyun made his theatrical film debut in the South Korean documentary film I Am in 2012.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance on Mnet’s variety show Shinee’s Yunhanam in 2008.
As per his Instagram posts in June 2017, Jonghyun was seen working out in the gym. His first video showed him doing a set of body pull-ups using fitness bands followed by another video where he was pulling himself upside down over an exercise bar in the gym showing off his perfectly ripped body.
- He was part of a band during the time he was in middle school.
- He was discovered by SM Entertainment at the age of 15 when he played in a song festival with his band at school in 2005.
- On May 25, 2008, he made his official debut with the South Korean boy band SHINee as the main vocalist.
- Besides being a singer, he was also a songwriter and had written the lyrics for his band’s 4th Korean single titled Juliette.
- He was placed at the 27th spot on the list of “The Most Handsome Faces of 2017”.
- In September 2015, he became a published author with his first book titled Skeleton Flower: Things That Have Been Released and Set Free in which he talked about his songwriting experiences and inspirations.
- On December 18, 2017, Jonghyun’s older sister called emergency responders after reading the phrases like “last goodbye” and “say I did well” in a series of text messages by Jonghyun and reported that she believed that Jonghyun intended to commit suicide. He had rented an apartment in Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam District for 2 days and checked in at 12:00 PM the same day. When the police reached the venue, he was found unconscious and was pronounced dead at the Konkuk University Hospital.
- Follow him on Instagram.
Featured Image by Sperospera for Jonghyun! / Tistory / CC BY-4.0