|Juan Martín del Potro Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||September 23, 1988|
|Girlfriend||Sofia Juiuy Jimenez|
Juan Martín del Potro is a talented Argentinian professional tennis player. He has many laurels to his name including Olympic Games medals, US Open title in 2009, the Indian Wells Masters, and Davis Cup in 2016. He is also one of the first tennis players to win their first 4 career titles in ATP tournaments. Juan is often troubled by injuries and has undergone many wrists and knee surgeries than other tennis players.
Juan Martín del Potro Lucas
Delpo, The Tower of Tandil, Del Boy, Enano, Palito
There is no information about the schools or colleges that Juan Martín del Potro attended.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Daniel del Potro (Semi-Professional Rugby Player for Argentina, Veterinarian)
- Mother – Patricia Lucas (Teacher)
- Siblings – Julieta del Potro (Younger Sister). His older sister died in a car accident at the age of 8.
Juan Martín del Potro is managed by Jorge Viale.
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
97 kg or 214 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Juan Martín del Potro has dated –
- Camila Velasco (2009) – In 2009, Juan briefly dated actress Camila Velasco.
- Luciana Salazar (2009) – In 2009, Juan had a brief relationship with adult model Luciana Salazar.
- Lola Bezerra (2009) – In 2009, Juan dated Brazilian model Lola Bezerra.
- Susana Giménez (2009) – Towards the end of 2009, Juan was spotted with a much older actress Susana Giménez. They admitted to meeting each other in numerous places like London, Miami, and Buenos Aires. However, Susana did not want to take their relationship further and ended it, opting to remain friends instead.
- Stephanie Demner (2010-2012) – In 2010, Juan began a relationship with model Stephanie Demner. The couple split after 2 years as Stephanie pointed out that Juan cheated on her. Their breakup became sensational news in the local media.
- Julia Rohden (2013-2017) – In 2013, Juan started dating model, Julia Rohden. Julia was often seen in the stands cheering for Juan. The couple separated in 2017.
- Jimena Baron (2017-2018) – In April 2017, Juan started dating singer, actress, and model Jimena Baron. Jimena had shared few of the couple’s intimate moments on her Instagram. Though the couple split in February 2018, they still remained good friends.
- Sofia Juiuy Jimenez (2018-Present) – In 2018, Juan began a relationship with model, actress, and conductor, Sofia Juiuy Jimenez. The couple often shares their images with fans on their social media. Sofia has also become a regular face in Juan’s matches.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall, athletic figure
- Long chin
Juan Martín del Potro has done endorsement works for brands like –
He belongs to Roman Catholic denomination.
Best Known For
In 2005, he played his professional debut match in the US Open Men’s Singles Qualifying round against Ramón Delgado of Paraguay. He lost the game in straight sets.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his tennis matches, he made his TV show debut as ‘Himself’ on the talk show Caiga quien caiga – CQC in 2008.
Juan Martín del Potro trains regularly. Juan’s career has been full of injuries and recovery. His training involves overall training from lifting weights to running long distance, to yoga and meditation. He practices his game in clay courts to avoid injury.
Juan Martín del Potro Favorite Things
- Traditional Dish – Asado
- Meal – French fries with steak
- Ice Cream Flavor – Chocolate with strawberry
- Tournament – US Open
- Players To Watch – Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt
- Song – Mando Una Señal by Maná
Source – TennisViewMag.com, Tennis-Prose.com, Telegraph
Juan Martín del Potro Facts
- At the age of 7, he started playing tennis.
- He can speak in Spanish, English, and a little bit of Italian.
- Juan’s victory over Roger Federer in 5 sets at the 2009 US Open final is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in tennis history.
- In 2012, he beat Novak Djokovic to win the bronze medal at the Olympic Games in London.
- While at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, he was defeated by Andy Murray in the final match.
- His idols growing up were Pete Sampras, Lleyton Hewitt, and Marat Safin.
- He was named Argentina’s “Sportsman of the Year” in 2009 and 2016.
- He also got the title for ATP “Comeback Player of the Year” in 2011 and 2016.
- His hobbies include playing football, fishing, and cooking Argentinian BBQ.
- He is a big fan of Boca Juniors.
- He often travels with a trainer and kinesiologist.
- Juan has undergone several surgeries including 3 left wrist surgeries for joint, ligament and tendon, right wrist surgery, and right knee surgery.
- His first car was green Volkswagen Polo.
- Juan’s first tennis memory was while waiting for over an hour for soccer practice, someone gave him a racquet, and he started hitting the wall; and later after 6 months or so he decided to stick with tennis.
- His early memory of watching tennis was at age 14, the US Open match between Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, where Pete won 6-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6.
- As of August 2019, his most significant sports moment has been his 2009 US Open title match where he defeated Roger Federer in 5 sets.
- One of his most disappointing matches has been his lost against Sweden in the Davis Cup.
- Some of his closest tennis friends are Monaco, Zabaleta, and other Argentinean players.
- His toughest matches have been against Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer.
- One of his embarrassing tennis memories is his US Open junior’s match where he lost to Andy Murray 6-0, 6-1.
- The qualities he admires the most in people are their ability to show respect and the positive way in which they present themselves to others.
- He can’t stand people touching his rackets just before he goes on the court.
- His ideal mixed doubles partner would be Gabriela Sabatini.
- He likes listening to Maná, Shakira, U2, Aerosmith, and Coldplay.
- He relaxes by watching TV series like Prison Break and spending time with family and friends in Tandil.
- Apart from tennis, the other sport he likes is football.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Carine06 / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0