Katherine Kiernan Maria Mulgrew
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
Kate Mulgrew attended the Wahlert High School in Dubuque.
At the age of 17, she got admission at the Stella Adler’s Conservatory of Acting at the New York University. However, after the end of her junior year, she dropped out of the university to focus on her acting career.
- Father – Thomas James Mulgrew II (Contractor)
- Mother – Joan Virginia Mulgrew (Painter and an artist)
- Siblings – Tom Mulgrew (Younger Brother) (Production Assistant), Joe Mulgrew (Younger Brother), Jenny Mulgrew (Younger Sister), Laura Mulgrew (Younger Sister), Sam Mulgrew (Younger Brother)
Kate Mulgrew is represented by
- Viking Entertainment
- Innovative Artists L.A.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kate Mulgrew has dated
- In 1977, while she was working on the TV soap opera Ryan’s Hope, she learned that she had gotten pregnant. Although she was scared of having a child as a single mother, she decided against abortion. Just three days after the birth of her daughter, she gave her up for adoption. Over the years, she has refused to reveal the identity of her daughter’s father. Eventually, she hired a private investigator to track the girl that she had given up for adoption. In 1998, she received a phone call from a young woman named Danielle, who revealed that she was her daughter and had been searching for Mulgrew for over a year.
- Robert H. Egan (1982-1995) – Kate got married to theater director Robert H. Egan in 1982. Over the course of their marriage, she gave birth to two sons, Ian Thomas and Alexander James. They eventually decided to part ways in 1995.
- Tim Hagan (1999-2014) – Kate was introduced to her second husband Tim Hagan, the former Democratic candidate for the post of the Governor of Ohio, by her mother. They decided to get married in 1999. After their marriage, she became stepmother to his daughters, Eleanor Hagan and Marie Hagan. In her April 2015 interview, she revealed that they had divorced but also added that she regrets the divorce.
Race / Ethnicity
Kate’s hair has turned naturally gray due to her advancing age.
However, she is known to dye her hair in red color.
- Short height
- Broad smile
Kate Mulgrew has lent her voice to the following TV commercials
- Oppenheimer Funds (1999)
- Ford Freestar (2003)
She is a devout Roman Catholic.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Galina “Red” Reznikov in the comedy-drama TV series, Orange Is the New Black.
- Having played the lead role of Captain Kathryn Janeway in the sci-fi TV series, Star Trek: Voyager.
In 1981, Kate made her theatrical film debut in the fantasy romance movie, Lovespell.
First TV Show
In 1975, she made her first TV show appearance in the Alien Lover episode of the sci-fi drama, The Wide World of Mystery.
Kate Mulgrew’s ideal daily diet is as follows
- Breakfast – She usually loves to have a lot of coffee for breakfast. Occasionally, she might opt for a soft-boiled egg with lots of butter.
- Lunch – She prefers grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. She also likes to have a chicken noodle or hot French onion soup. If she is shooting, she settles for a piece of chicken and a small salad.
- Dinner – She loves roasted chicken with some rice and Italian broccoli. Or, she might go for some rib-eye steaks with a bitter salad of radish, tomato, arugula, radicchio, lemony vinaigrette, a bit of goat cheese, and some roasted potatoes in rosemary and garlic.
Kate Mulgrew Favorite Things
- Drink – Wine
- Wine – Sauvignon Blanc such as a Sancerre, Pinot Grigio, Ruffino Chianti Classico, and Amarone
- Restaurants – Metro Diner in Los Angeles, Ouest in New York City, Cesca in New York City, La Piccola Cucina in Los Angeles
Source – The New Potato
Kate Mulgrew Facts
- In her early days in New York City, she used to work as a waitress to earn some extra money to keep herself financially afloat.
- She was initially rejected for the role of Captain Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager as the show producers had hired Geneviève Bujold. However, when Bujold backed out of the project, Mulgrew was asked to audition again and was hired.
- When she was signed for the role of Captain Janeway, she suggested that the character’s first name should be changed from Nicole to Kathryn.
- For her heart touching performance in the role of an alcoholic news reporter in On the Rocks episode of the TV show, Murphy Brown, she was honored with a Tracey Humanitarian Award.
- She auditioned for a place at the London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art, England at the age of 16. She managed to make it to the final stage but was eventually deemed too young for the course.
- The Seton Hill University in Greensburg, Pennsylvania honored her with an award of Honorary Doctorate of Letters for Artistic Contribution.
- Since her mother suffered from Alzheimer’s and eventually passed away due to it, Kate has been a tireless activist for the disease-related foundations and is also a member of the National Advisory Committee of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- In her very early days as an actress, she was raped at knifepoint.
- In 2015, she published her memoir titled, Born with Teeth, in which she discussed a host of personal issues including being a single mother at the start of her show business career and how she felt after giving her daughter up for adoption.
- She is a staunch opponent of abortion and for this, she has been honored by Feminists for Life, which is a pro-life feminist group.
- She has been vocal about her opposition against capital punishment, which she considers barbaric.
- Visit her official website @ thekatemulgrew.com.
- Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0