|Katie Melua Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 16, 1984|
Katie Melua is a Georgian-British singer, songwriter, and musician who released her debut studio album Call Off the Search in November 2003 when she was 19 years old. The album became the 5th best-selling album of 2004 as well as reached the top of the United Kingdom album charts. Over the years, she has released many other albums, extended plays, and tracks such as Secret Symphony, The House, In Winter, Piece by Piece, Album No. 8, Ketevan, Pictures, Nine Million Bicycles, What a Wonderful World (with Eva Cassidy), The Closest Thing to Crazy, If You Were a Sailboat, To Kill You with a Kiss, The Bit That I Don’t Get, The Love I’m Frightened Of, Shy Boy, Gold in them Hills, Spider’s Web, and Crawling up a Hill. Moreover, in 2006, she became the United Kingdom’s best-selling female artist and Europe’s highest selling European female artist.
Kutaisi, Georgian Soviet Socialist Republic, Soviet Union (later Georgia)
Katie attended St. Catherine’s Primary School in Northern Ireland. Subsequently, she went to Dominican College, Fortwilliam.
She completed her GCSEs from all-girls grammar school, Nonsuch High School in Cheam, Sutton.
Finally, she attended BRIT School for the Performing Arts in the London Borough of Croydon. She took BTEC with an A-level in music.
Singer, songwriter, musician
- Father – Amiran Melua (Doctor – Heart Specialist)
- Mother – Tamara Melua (Nurse)
- Siblings – Zurab Melua (Younger Brother) (Rock Musician)
- Others – Bob Willis (English former Cricketer), Tamara (Paternal Grandmother), Tsaro Nozadze (Maternal Grandmother)
She has been signed to –
- ATC Management
- Dramatico Entertainment Ltd., Music Artist Management Company, Farnham, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Folk-pop, blues, jazz
Vocals, guitar, piano, violin
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth had been $20 Million.
5 ft 1½ in or 156 cm
51 kg or 112½ pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Katie Melua has dated –
- Luke Pritchard (2002-2005) – The two British singers Luke Pritchard and Katie Melua were romantically linked to each other from 2002 to 2005.
- James Toseland (2010-2020) – In 2010, she met former World Superbike racer James Toseland and started dating him. They engaged in January 2012 and married on September 1, 2012, in the Nash Conservatory at the Royal Botanical Gardens in London. Later, a 2020 interview with the national Swedish news agency TT revealed that the couple had separated but remained friends. On October 16, 2020, during an interview on ITV’s Lorraine live from West London, Katie Melua confirmed the couple had divorced and have “Great respect for each other.”
Race / Ethnicity
She has mainly Georgian ancestry but is of partly Russian and Canadian descent.
Mezzo-soprano vocal range
34-25-35 in or 86-63.5-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
8 (US) or 5.5 (UK) or 38.5 (EU)
Opel / Vauxhall (2010)
In 2009, she was announced as the face of the French designer, Eric Bompard.
Georgian Orthodox Christianity
Best Known For
Her songs and albums such as Call Off the Search (2003), Piece by Piece (2005), Pictures (2007), The House (2010), Secret Symphony (2012), Ketevan (2013), and others.
Katie released her debut album Call Off the Search on November 3, 2003, via Dramatico Records. It charted at #1 in UK and Denmark, #2 in Norway and Ireland, and received the certification of 6x Platinum in the UK, 2x Platinum in Germany, 3x Platinum in Denmark.
The album consisted of 12 tracks.
In 2007, she appeared in the dark comedy/exploitation double-feature film Grindhouse for her role as murder victim’s friend (segment “Don’t”).
She likes running and this is one of her ways to stay fit. Melua runs for three to four kilometers a day three to four times a week.
Katie Melua Favorite Things
- Songs – Jammin’ (By Bob Marley), Porcelain (By Moby), Suddenly I See (By K.T. Tunstall), Jesus To A Child (By George Michael), Life On Mars (By David Bowie), I Want To Break Free (By Queen), Where Do The Children Play (By Cat Stevens), Under The Bridge (By Red Hot Chili Peppers), I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (By Ella Fitzgerald)
- Beauty Products – Benefit Dallas Bronzer, L’Oréal eyeshadow, MAC brushes, Touche Eclat, La Prairie face creams
- Beautiful Women – Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Cate Blanchett, Penélope Cruz
Katie Melua Facts
- She likes to paraglide and hang glide.
- Katie is sometimes regarded as an “adrenaline junkie” because of her liking of roller coasters and other funfairs.
- She acquired British citizenship on August 10, 2005. After the ceremony, she said, “As a family, we have been very fortunate to find a happy lifestyle in this country and we feel we belong. We still consider ourselves to be Georgian, because that is where our roots are, and I return to Georgia every year to see my uncles and grandparents, but I am proud to now be a British citizen”.
- Before she turned 21, she had three citizenships, viz, first Soviet, Georgian, and finally British (in order).
- She would like to have longer legs so that she could wear flats.
- Katie’s spouse James Toseland and brother Zurab are in a rock band, named, “Toseland”.
- Katie is fluent in English and understands Russian too. She is also fluent in Georgian, but cannot write songs in that language.
- At 8, she relocated to Northern Ireland and at 14, she moved to Britain.
- She started her musical career in 2003.
- In 2006, she became Europe’s highest selling European female artist, and UK’s best selling female artist.
- Since 2005, Katie had appeared in various soundtracks in the films.
- Visit her official website @ katiemelua.com.