|Kwang-hyun Kim Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||July 22, 1988|
Kwang-hyun Kim is a South Korean professional baseball player who has represented, as a pitcher, SK Wyverns (2007–2019) and SSG Landers (renamed from SK Wyverns to SSG Landers in 2021 after a change in ownership) (2022–Present) in the KBO League, the top-tier baseball league in South Korea. During his spell with SK Wyverns, he won the ‘Korean Series’ (the final championship series of the KBO League) 4 times (2007, 2008, 2010, 2018). In the 2008 season, he won the ‘Golden Glove Award’ (presented annually by the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) to the best overall player at each position in the KBO League) and was also named the ‘MVP’ (Most Valuable Player). He has also had a stint in Major League Baseball (MLB), with the St. Louis Cardinals (2020–2021). At the international level, representing South Korea, he won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the 2015 Tokyo WBSC Premier12 (an international tournament organized by the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC), featuring the 12 highest-ranked national teams in the world), the 2014 Incheon Asian Games, and the 2006 Sancti Spíritus World Junior Baseball Championship. He had also clinched the ‘Silver’ medal at the 2009 Los Angeles World Baseball Classic (1 of the 2 main senior international baseball tournaments sanctioned by the WBSC, but the only one which grants the winner the title of ‘World Champion’), the 2019 Tokyo WBSC Premier12, the 2008 Taichung & Douliou Final Olympic Qualification Tournament, and the 2005 Incheon Asian Junior Baseball Championship.
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Kwang-hyun Kim had attended the Ansan Technical High School in Ansan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
Professional Baseball Player
- Father – In-gab Kim
- Mother – Jae-hyang Jeon
- Siblings – Na-hyun Kim (Sister), Jin-hyun Kim (Brother)
- 29, 17 – South Korea
- 33 – St. Louis Cardinals
- 29 – SSG Landers
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kwang-hyun Kim has dated –
- Lee Sang-hee (2014–Present) –Kwang-hyun Kim got married to Lee Sang-hee in 2014 in a ceremony that was held in Samseong-dong, Seoul. They have 2 children together – a son named Min-jae Kim and a daughter named Min-joo Kim.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
- Toned physique
- Slightly overgrown, side-parted hair
- Has a mole near his upper lip
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Kwang-hyun Kim Facts
- Kwang-hyun Kim first came into the spotlight in 2004 when he led his team to their first national championship title ever. During this fairytale run, he pitched 4 consecutive complete game victories with a 0.96 ERA (earned run average). He was also named the tournament’s ‘MVP’.
- At the 2006 Sancti Spíritus World Junior Baseball Championship, he was instrumental in South Korea’s ‘Gold’ medal win, earning 4 of his team’s 6 wins. He tossed a 5-hit complete game shutout to help South Korea to a 1–0 win over Chinese Taipei in the quarter-final. He posted an ERA of 0.87 and 22 strikeouts throughout the tournament, and was named the tournament’s ‘MVP’.
- At the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, he recorded an ERA of 1.26 and 12 strikeouts in 3 games. In the semi-final against Japan, he gave up 1 earned run and 6 hits in 8 innings to help his team to victory.
- In the 2008 season of the KBO League, he was the league leader for both wins and strikeouts. In August 2009, he suffered a fracture on the back of his hand which forced him out for the rest of the season. Despite this, he ended the 2009 KBO League as the league leader in ERA.
Featured Image by Kwang-hyun Kim / Instagram