|LaMelo Ball Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||August 22, 2001|
LaMelo Ball has been considered as the next big star since his early teens. By the time, he had turned 13, he had already agreed a college basketball deal with UCLA. However, he didn’t get to play college basketball. In fact, he didn’t get to complete his high school basketball career as his father felt he would be better off starting his professional career early. However, his father’s decision to take the unconventional path and use him for the commercial ventures has led to fears that LaMelo might not be able to fulfill his considerable potential.
LaMelo LaFrance Ball
Chino Hills, California, United States
In June 2015, LaMelo Ball got enrolled at the Chino Hills High School in his hometown. However, in October 2017, his father pulled him out of the high school and decided to coach him on his own. He was enrolled in a homeschooling program to keep up with his studies.
Professional Basketball Player
- Father – LaVar Ball (Media Personality and Businessman) (He also played college basketball and American football)
- Mother – Tina Ball (Former College Basketball Player)
- Siblings – Lonzo Ball (Older Brother) (Professional Basketball Player), LiAngelo Ball (Older Brother) (Professional Basketball Player)
LaMelo Ball is represented by Harrison Gaines.
Point Guard, Shooting Guard
1 – Los Angeles Ballers
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
LaMelo Ball has dated –
- Ashley Alvano (2017-2018) – LaMelo publicly introduced his girlfriend Ashley Alvano in August 2017 on the show “Ball in the Family”. Ashley, who has a toned body, started gaining followers on Instagram after that. They could have broken up in 2018 as they didn’t share any post of each other on Instagram.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African American ancestry on his father’s side. He seems to have Czech roots on his mother’s side.
Dark Brown (Natural)
He has been seen with ‘blonde’ dyed locks.
- Towering Height
- Afro hair
LaMelo Ball hasn’t endorsed any brand.
Best Known For
- His immense popularity on the social media platforms. He has managed to earn over 5 million followers on his official Instagram account.
- Being one of the finest prospects in the high school basketball
First Basketball Match
In January 2018, he made his senior debut with Vytautas Prienai–Birštonas in their match against Žalgiris-2 Kaunas in the Big Baller Brand Challenge Games. His side went on to win the match by 90-80 and he recorded 9 assists, 10 points, and 6 turnovers.
First Web Show
In 2017, LaMelo made his first web show appearance in The Ball Family episode of the talk show, Sneaker Shopping.
First TV Show
In June 2017, LaMelo Ball made his TV show debut in Escape from Los Angeles episode of the sports show, WWE Raw.
LaMelo Ball has relied on the training regime created by his father to advance his young career. When he was about 4 or 5 years old, his father got him started with hanging on the bars, dips, and pull-ups. As it was just a fun competition he was having with his brothers, he didn’t feel boredom of working out.
By the time he turned 12, his father added free weights to his workout regime as well. So along with bodyweight exercises, he was also doing strength training exercises such as bench press and military press. LaVar also had him doing sprints up and down the hill. The hill had a mile long incline. Overall, he trained 5 days a week under his father’s watchful guidance.
LaMelo Ball Favorite Things
Source – USA Today, The Undefeated
LaMelo Ball Facts
- While growing up, he played for a couple of teams that were coached by his father. These teams included Big Ballers VXT of the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). He continued to play for Ballers even when he was studying in high school.
- When he was 13 years old, he reached a verbal agreement to join UCLA for college basketball but he wouldn’t get a chance to do so as his father got his professional career off to the start even before he graduated from high school.
- Before he reached an agreement with UCLA, he was heavily courted by Washington State and Virginia.
- In 2016, he was named along with teammate Onyeka Okongwu as the Co-Freshman of the Year by MaxPreps.com. He had managed to average 3.8 assists and 16.4 points in his freshman year.
- In December 2016, he received widespread media coverage after he managed to score with a half-court shot only a few seconds into a game. He even drew praise from his role model Stephen Curry for his shot.
- In May 2014, he signed up with the Los Angeles Ballers of the Junior Basketball Association. The league was his father’s brainchild and he had set it up as an alternative to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
- He has launched his collection of clothing under his father’s fashion label, Big Baller Brand. Later, he also launched his MB1 shoes in collaboration with the label.
- With the launch of his shoe, he became the first high schooler to have his signature shoe on the market.
- On the eve of his 16th birthday, he received a Lamborghini Gallardo as a gift from his father. It was criticized by some observers on the social media as they felt it would adversely affect his focus on the game.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by LaMelo Ball / Instagram