|Lauren Ridloff Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 6, 1978|
Lauren Ridloff is a deaf American actor and theatre artist who gained acclaim with her lead performance in the Broadway play Children of a Lesser God in 2018, for which she was nominated for a Tony Award for “Best Actress in a Play”, Drama League Award for “Distinguished Performance”, and Outer Critics Circle Award for “Outstanding Actress in a Play”. Moreover, Lauren Ridloff is also known for having been cast as Connie in the post-apocalyptic horror television series The Walking Dead, Makkari in the epic superhero film Eternals, Diane in the drama film Sound of Metal, and Margot in the medical drama series New Amsterdam.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Lauren Ridloff graduated from the deaf program at Children of Peace Catholic School in Chicago. She also attended Model Secondary School for the Deaf in Washington, D.C.
Afterward, she got enrolled at California State University, Northridge, a university with a large deaf and hard-of-hearing student population, and majored in English with an emphasis in creative writing.
She also attended Hunter College in New York to study education with the goal of becoming a children’s author and earned her Master’s Degree in Education in 2005.
Actor, Theatre Artist
- Father – Hugo (Counselor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, Musician)
- Mother – She was an artist.
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lauren Ridloff has dated –
- Douglas Ridloff (2006-Present) – In 2006, she got married to Douglas Ridloff and the duo has been blessed with 2 sons, both of whom are deaf.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Hispanic and Black)
Lauren Ridloff is of Mexican descent on her father’s side and has African-American ancestry on her mother’s side.
Lauren Ridloff Facts
- Lauren uses she/her pronouns.
- She spent her childhood years growing up in the Chicago community area of Hyde Park.
- Initially, her parents thought that their infant had a developmental delay but by the time Lauren was 2 years old, they learned that she was deaf.
- Her parents learned sign language for her.
- Lauren stopped using her voice when she was 13 years old so that people would stop judging her intelligence based on her vocal intelligibility.
- It was during her school years that she started exploring the arts, starting with ceramics and becoming involved with drama.
- She was cast as Dorothy in a school production of The Wiz.
- Lauren Ridloff became one of the first deaf American cheerleaders to compete internationally.
- After receiving her master’s degree, she started teaching kindergarten and first grade at Public School 347 in Manhattan.
- She played the role of Dragon in an episode titled Some People Just Want to Watch the World Burn of the fantasy drama series Legacies in November 2018.
- Lauren Ridloff received the SAG-AFTRA Harold Russell Award at the 41st Media Access Awards in 2020.
- In 2021, she appeared as Makkari, an Eternal who possesses the powers of super-speed, in the epic superhero film Eternals. The film is based on the Marvel Comics race of the same name and Lauren’s character is the first deaf superhero in the MCU.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0