|MacKenzie Bezos Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 7, 1970|
MacKenzie Scott is an American novelist, TV personality, and philanthropist, best known as the former spouse of Amazon’s founder, Jeff Bezos. She has published novels such as The Testing of Luther Albright (2005) and Traps (2013).
MacKenzie Scott Tuttle
San Francisco, California, United States
Seattle, Washington, United States
Mackenzie attended Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Connecticut, United States in 1998.
After graduating, she 1st enrolled in the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom. In 1992, she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with the highest honors from Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey, United States.
Philanthropist, Novelist, TV Personality
- Father – He was a financial planner.
- Mother – She was a homemaker.
- Siblings – She has 1 older and 1 younger sibling.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
MacKenzie Bezos has dated –
- Jeff Bezos (1992-2019) – She met Jeff Bezos in 1992 while they were both working at D. E. Shaw, a New York City hedge fund. She was a research associate while he was vice president of the firm and their offices were next to each other. They got engaged 3 months after they began dating and were married within 6 months, on September 4, 1993. In 1994, after he got the idea for Amazon, they quit their jobs and moved to Seattle, Washington, United States. MacKenzie and Jeff have 4 children, 3 sons and an adopted daughter from China. On January 9, 2019, they announced via Twitter they would divorce. The divorce was finalized on July 5, 2019, with Jeff keeping 75% of the Amazon stock they owned together. She received a 4% stake in Amazon, which was about 19.7 million Amazon stocks valued at $35.6 billion. This instantly made her the 3rd richest woman and one of the wealthiest people in the world.
- Dan Jewett (2021-2022) – In March 2021, MacKenzie tied the knot with high school chemistry teacher, Dan Jewett. In September 2022, it was revealed that the couple had separated and MacKenzie had filed for divorce from Dan. In January 2023, it was revealed that they had finalized their divorce.
Race / Ethnicity
She has also dyed her hair ‘Black’ in the past.
- Dimpled smile
- Prominent chin
In 2014, she founded Bystander Revolution, an anti-bullying organization, and served as its executive director. She is also a co-founder of the Bezos Family Foundation.
MacKenzie Bezos Facts
- At the age of 6, MacKenzie wrote a 142-pages long book called The Book Worm.
- Jeff initially fell in love with her laughter, which he called “fabulous.”
- MacKenzie and Jeff almost chose the name “Relentless” instead of “Amazon”.
- While she drove to Washington in 1994, Jeff was typing the business plan for Amazon on his laptop.
- During the early days of Amazon, in early 1996, MacKenzie officially worked as an accountant but did all other jobs as well. She shared an office with a junior employee that was also the company’s kitchen. For 12 hours per day, everyone squeezed to eat or drink while she worked. At night, she packed orders at the warehouse.
- She studied under a Nobel-prize winning novelist, Toni Morrison, during her time at university. Toni later stated she was one of the best students she ever had in her creative classes.
- MacKenzie wasn’t a part of Amazon’s publishing imprint when she released her novels. Jeff jokingly stated this landed her a nickname “the fish that got away.”
- MacKenzie revealed that she and Jeff had different personalities that complemented each other. He liked to meet other people and was very social. She found cocktail parties and the number of conversations she had to hold nerve-racking.
- She is the “jeans and t-shirt” type of woman.
- Jeff recalled many times he saw her dancing in the kitchen after she woke up before him to start writing.
- In May 2019, she signed an initiative, The Giving Pledge, which encourages extremely wealthy people to donate a majority of their wealth to various philanthropic causes.
- MacKenzie vowed to donate at least half of her wealth to charity during her lifetime or in her will.
- On January 27, 2020, it was revealed she sold approximately $400 million worth of her shares in Amazon, which left her with $19.5 million shares.
- On February 23, 2020, her net worth was $41.1 billion.
- In December 2020, Bloomberg had placed her as the 18th richest person in the world with a total net worth of $62.4 billion.
- She had donated $4.2 billion to 384 organizations in over 4 months in 2020 (in the pandemic-hit year).
- In June 2021, MacKenzie and Dan Jewett donated almost $2.7 billion to 286 underfunded organizations, arts and culture organizations, police reform programs, universities, LGBTQ organizations, and many more.
- She was the most powerful woman in the world in 2021 as per the list released by Forbes magazine of the world’s 100 most powerful women.
- In 2021, Mackenzie had sold 2.5 million Amazon stocks which were worth $8.5 billion at that time. After reducing her stake in Amazon, she was still holding 14.9 million shares and had a net worth of $48.3 billion.
- In 2022, Scott donated $15 million to VisionSpring which is a nonprofit organization that provides eyeglasses to farmers in developing countries.
- In October 2022, she donated $84.5 million to Girl Scouts of the USA and 29 local branch councils to help the organization achieve its mission.