|Michelle Yeoh Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||August 6, 1962|
Michelle Yeoh is a brilliant Malaysian actress. She is known for her tough and action-packed roles in movies like Police Story 3: Super Cop, The Soong Sisters, Tomorrow Never Dies, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha, Sunshine, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, True Legend, Reign of Assassins, The Lady, and Crazy Rich Asians. Michelle is a trained ballet dancer from the Royal Academy of Dance, London and has a fan following of over 350k followers on Instagram and more than 150k followers on Facebook.
Michelle Yeoh majored in Ballet from the Royal Academy of Dance in London. Later, she graduated with a BA degree in Creative Arts and a minor in Drama.
- Father – Yeoh Kian Teik (MCA Politician)
- Mother – Janet Yeoh (Lawyer)
- Siblings – Lam Hoe Yeoh (Brother) (Malaysian Consultant), Robert Yeoh (Brother)
Michelle Yeoh is managed by Three Six Zero Group, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Michelle Yeoh has dated –
- Alan Heldman (1988) – In 1998, Michelle was briefly engaged to cardiologist Dr. Alan Heldman.
- Dickson Poon (1988–1992) – In 1988, Michelle married an entrepreneur from Hong Kong, named Dickson Poon. Unfortunately, their marriage did not work out and they separated in 1992. But, they maintained a friendly bond afterward.
- Jean Todt (2004–Present) – In 2004, she began a relationship with French motorsport executive, Jean Todt. They met in Shanghai at a presentation ceremony. In July 2008, on CBS’s The Late Late Show, she confirmed her engagement to Jean.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Hokkien and Cantonese ancestry.
- Long rounded chin
- Often wears glasses
- Pleasant smile
Michelle Yeoh has done endorsement work for various brands like –
- Guy Laroche
- Tourism Bureau of Malaysia (2002)
In October 2011, she became the skincare’s ambassador of the brand, Guerlain.
Best Known For
- Her versatile roles in films including Yes, Madam (1985) as Inspector Ng, Police Story 3: Super Cop (1992) as Inspector Jessica Yang, The Soong Sisters (1997) as Soong Ai-ling /Madam Kung , Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) as Wai Lin, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) as Yu Shu Lien, The Touch (2002) as Pak Yin Fay, Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) as Mameha, Sunshine (2007) as Corazon, Babylon A.D. (2008) as Sister Rebeka, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008) as Zi Yuan, True Legend (2010) as Sister Yu, Reign of Assassins (2010) as Zeng Jing, The Lady (2011) as Aung San Suu Kyi, Mechanic: Resurrection (2016) as Mei, and Crazy Rich Asians (2018) as Eleanor Young
In 1984, she made her theatrical film debut in the action comedy film, Mao tou ying yu xiao fei xiang (a.k.a. The Owl vs Bombo), as Miss Yeung.
In 2011, she made her theatrical film debut as a voice actress in the animated action-adventure film, Kung Fu Panda 2, as the voice of the soothsayer.
First TV Show
In 1996, she made her first TV show appearance as a guest in the talk show, The Rosie O’Donnell Show.
Michelle Yeoh is a trained ballet dancer who had a disciplined upbringing. She exercises every day. Earlier when she was working in films in Hong Kong, she would train for around 8 hours in the gym. As soon as she wakes up, she starts doing her stretches. When she was younger, she used to play a lot of squash, swim, and do rock climbing. She still follows an active lifestyle and often goes hiking and practices martial arts as well.
As for her diet, she prefers having smaller meals several times a day. Her food contains lots of organic vegetables and seafood. She also loves pasta, bread, and desserts like ice cream and cakes. She is also a slow eater.
Michelle Yeoh Favorite Things
- Place To Shop – Costco in America
- Food – Chicken, bean sprouts, fish head curry
- Movie – The Exorcist (1973)
Source – Daily Mail
Michelle Yeoh Facts
- She started taking ballet lessons at the age of 4.
- Aged 15, she moved to London with her parents.
- Her dream of becoming a professional ballet dancer was shattered after she incurred a spinal injury.
- Her last name “Yeoh” is pronounced “yo”.
- During her earlier acting career, she was given an alias name, Michelle Khan.
- In 1983, at the age of 20, she won the Miss Malaysia beauty pageant.
- Later in 1983, she represented Malaysia at the Queen of the Pacific contest in Australia which she won. She also represented Malaysia at the Miss World 1983 contest in London.
- In 1997, People magazine named her as one of the “50 Most Beautiful People in the World”.
- In 2008, she was named as the greatest action heroine of all time by Rotten Tomatoes.
- She has been known as the “queen of martial arts” in the Hong Kong film industry.
- She can speak English, Malay, and Cantonese.
- In 2002, she was a part of the esteemed jury at the Cannes Film Festival.
- She is the 2nd Asian actress to star in a James Bond movie after Mie Hama, who appeared in You Only Live Twice (1967).
- Michelle is committed to protecting the endangered tigers in South China through her association with Save China’s Tigers project.
- She is scared of going under the knife and thinks that it’s not worth it.
- Knitting is her hidden talent.
- She describes herself as kind, reliable, and fun.
- On April 23, 2007, Michelle was awarded the Knight of the Legion of Honour (Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur) by French President Jacques Chirac.
- Later, on March 14, 2012, French President Nicolas Sarkozy upgraded her status to Officer of the French Order (Officier de la Légion d’honneur).
- She has also had her share of injuries while doing her own stunts which include cracked ribs, torn knee ligaments, and a ruptured artery in the leg.
- As an executive producer, she has worked in numerous projects like Final Recipe (2013), Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey (2012), and Silver Hawk (2004).
- Follow Michelle Yeoh on Facebook and Instagram.
Featured Image by Rita Molnár / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.5