Najwa Karam studied at the secondary school at Jesus the Angel College. She later managed to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy as well.
She also got enrolled at the Lebanese Institute of Music, where she studied for 4 years.
Singer, Producer, Songwriter
- Father – Karam Karam (Passed away in September 2013)
- Mother – Barbara Chahine Karam
- Siblings – Salwa Karam (Older Sister), Tony Karam (Older Brother), Jean Karam (Older Brother), Nicolas Karam (Older Brother) (Passed away at the age of 57 in February 2017)
Najwa Karam is represented by her brother Tony Karam.
- Relax-In International
- EMI Arabia
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Najwa Karam has dated –
- Yousef Harb (2000-2003) – In 2000, Najwa gave her fans and family a massive surprise by getting married to a businessman, Yousef Harb, who was based in Canada and was known for organizing music events for Arabic singers in North America. In October 2002, it was reported that their marriage was on rocks. However, she released a terse statement in which she claimed that her marriage was working well and asked media to keep out of her marriage. Her brothers Tony and Nicolas, who also worked as her representatives, released a public statement in April 2003, revealing that Najwa and Yousef had separated. They were granted a divorce in the same year.
- In February 2015, during her appearance on the talk show Al Hukum, she revealed that she was in a relationship. However, she refused to reveal the identity of her lover. In her appearance on the TV show Human Group, she revealed that she was going to get married soon. However, it is not known that her boyfriend was the same guy she had talked about in February 2015. She also revealed that her boyfriend was Lebanese and followed her religion as well.
Race / Ethnicity
Her family traces their roots to Lebanese Maronite Catholics.
In 2012, she was appointed as an ambassador by L’Oréal. She is the first Arabic woman to be appointed as a spokesperson by the cosmetics giant.
Best Known For
- Being one of the best selling Arabic singers. She is reported to have more than 50 million records.
- The immense popularity of her studio albums such as Ma Bassmahlak, Naghmet Hob, Rouh Rouhi, and Maghroumeh.
- Having served as the judge of the reality TV show, Arabs Got Talent, for multiple seasons.
- Being one of the most followed Arabic personalities on the social media. She has more than 7 million followers on Twitter and more than 6 million fans on Instagram.
In 1989, she released her debut studio album, Ya Habayeb.
Najwa Karam hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film till date.
First TV Show
In 2011, she made her first TV show appearance on the reality TV show, Arabs Got Talent.
In a bid to preserve her youthful looks in the advancing age, Najwa makes sure that she is working out daily. She has even hired Abdo G. Mansour as her personal trainer. She has created a fully equipped gym in her house. She usually works out in the morning as she believes that there is more probability of missing out on a workout if you work later in the day as you can easily find excuses.
Najwa is not a fan of following any strict diet. She tries to stay away from unhealthy and fattening foods. However, that doesn’t mean she has given up on her favorite foods. She just makes sure that she is eating smaller portions. She strives hard to retain a balance in her diet.
Najwa Karam Favorite Things
- Food – Lebanese food, especially Tabbouleh
- Singers – Oum Kalthoum, Beyonce, and Wadih Al Safi
Source – Gulf News, Fit’n Style
Najwa Karam Facts
- After graduating from college, she taught Geography and Arabic at the Eastern College in Zahlé for 2 years.
- In 1985, she decided to participate in television singing competition, Layali Lubnan (Lebanese Nights). Her father wasn’t happy with her choice but when she managed to win the competition, her father gave his consent to allow her to pursue a singing career.
- In an aftermath of the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict, she held a number of performances in foreign countries and donated proceeds from the shows to Lebanese Red Cross. She has donated 3 fully equipped ambulance vehicles to the Lebanese Red Cross.
- While growing up, she used to be a part of the local church choir.
- In 2017, the Forbes Middle East placed her on the 5th spot in the list featuring Top 100 Arab Celebrities. The publication credited her strong social media presence for her high ranking.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Ahmed Zayer / Flickr / CC BY-2.0