|Neeraj Chopra Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||December 24, 1997|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Neeraj Chopra is an Indian track and field athlete who specializes in the javelin throw event and has clinched the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games, the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, the 2017 Bhubaneshwar Asian Athletics Championships, the 2016 Guwahati/Shillong South Asian Games, and the 2016 Bydgoszcz World Junior Athletics Championships. He had also secured the ‘Silver’ medal at the 2016 Ho Chi Minh City Asian Junior Athletics Championships. In 2018, he was honored with the prestigious ‘Arjuna Award’, the 2nd-highest sporting honor of India.
Panipat, Haryana, India
Neeraj had graduated from the Dayanand Anglo-Vedic College in Chandigarh, a renowned institution that has produced more than 50 international-level sportspersons for India.
He had later joined the Lovely Professional University, a private university in Phagwara, Punjab. He had pursued a bachelor of arts degree there.
Track and Field Athlete
- Father – Satish Kumar (Farmer)
- Mother – Saroj Devi
- Siblings – Sangeeta (Sister), Sarita (Sister)
He is represented by Aman Shah, Manager and Booking Agent, JSW Sports, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Rod Maratha descent.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, wavy hair
- Often sports a light stubble
In 2021, Neeraj was seen in an ad for the Indian fintech company, CRED and Tata AIA Life Insurance.
Neeraj Chopra Facts
- He was obese as a child due to which his father had enrolled him in a local gym for which he had to cycle to and from 24 kilometers each day. He had later switched to a different gym in his hometown of Panipat. During this phase, he used to often visit the nearby center of the Sports Authority of India where his sporting talent was spotted by javelin thrower Jaiveer Choudhary. He had noticed Neeraj achieve a distance of 40 m with no prior experience and had instantly decided to coach him.
- At the 2016 Bydgoszcz World Junior Athletics Championships, he had set a world under-20 record with a throw of 86.48 m.
- He was the flag-bearer for India at the opening ceremony at the 2018 Asian Games, his debut appearance at the event.
- When he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, his debut appearance at the event, he had become the first Indian track and field athlete to achieve this feat. He was only the 2nd sportsperson to clinch an athletics medal of any color for India; after Norman Pritchard had won 2 ‘Silver’ medals way back at the 1900 Paris Olympics.
- He is also only the 2nd Indian sportsperson to win an individual ‘Gold’ medal at the Olympics after Abhinav Bindra had done so in the men’s 10 m air rifle event at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- He had joined the Indian Army in 2016 and was serving in the 4 Rajputana Rifles unit as of August 2021, at the rank of ‘Subedar’, a rank of junior commissioned officer in the Indian Army.
- At the 2020 Republic Day honors, he was honored with the ‘Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM)’, a decoration of the Indian armed forces that is awarded to recognize ‘distinguished service of a high order’ to all ranks of the Indian Armed forces.
- In September 2021, Neeraj was gifted a puppy named “Tokyo” by India’s first individual Olympics Gold medallist, Abhinav Bindra.
Featured Image by Neeraj Chopra / Instagram