|Niclas Füllkrug Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 9, 1993|
Niclas Füllkrug is a German professional soccer player who has represented, as a forward, SV Werder Bremen II (2011-2014), SV Werder Bremen (2012-2014, 2019-Present), 1. FC Nürnberg (2014-2016), and Hannover 96 (2016-2019) in Germany. SV Werder Bremen II is the reserve team of SV Werder Bremen and plays in the 4th division of the German soccer league system. Between 2013 and 2014, he had also spent a brief loan spell with the German professional sports club called SpVgg Greuther Fürth. At the international level, Niclas represented Germany at the under-18, under-19, and under-20 tiers before making his senior national debut in November 2022. On debut, he scored the only goal in Germany’s 1-0 win over Oman in a friendly match. Aged 29 years and 280 days, he also became the oldest outfield player to have made his senior national debut for Germany since 2002.
Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Andreas Füllkrug
- Mother – Natalie Füllkrug
- Siblings – Anna-Lena Füllkrug (Sister) (Professional Soccer Player)
- Others – Gerd Füllkrug (Grandfather) (Soccer Player (Retired))
- 9 – Germany
- 54, 9, 41 – SV Werder Bremen II
- 41, 11 – SV Werder Bremen
- 22 – SpVgg Greuther Fürth
- 24 – 1. FC Nürnberg, Hannover 96
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Niclas has dated –
- Lisa Füllkrug (2015-Present) – Niclas married his long-time girlfriend Lisa in 2015. They have a daughter together (b. 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of German descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, side-parted hair
- Toothy grin
- Sports a beard
Niclas Füllkrug Facts
- His nickname, Lücke, means ‘gap’ in German. He has been affectionately called this because of a gap in his front teeth.
- Niclas’ youth career started in 1996 when, as a 3-year-old, he joined a local club called TuS Ricklingen. After spending almost a decade there, in 2005, he joined the youth team of another local club called Sportfreunde Ricklingen. About a year later, in 2006, he joined the youth system of the German professional sports club SV Werder Bremen.
- Although he stayed in that system until 2012, his senior career had already started in 2011 with SV Werder Bremen II. By 2012, Niclas had also started turning out for SV Werder Bremen‘s senior team. SV Werder Bremen II is the reserve team of SV Werder Bremen.
- He was once involved in a freak accident at the training ground of SV Werder Bremen. A tooth of one of his teammates was wedged in his forehead after the two collided and he had to be hospitalized.
- In the 2021-22 season of 2. Bundesliga (the 2nd tier of the German soccer league system), Niclas scored 19 goals and helped SV Werder Bremen finish in 2nd position in the league. Consequently, the club was promoted to the Bundesliga (the top tier of the German soccer league system) for the next season.
- In the early part of the 2022-23 season of the Bundesliga, he scored 10 goals in 14 matches which played a key role in his selection for the 2022 edition of the FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) World Cup.
- At the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Germany suffered a shock 1-2 defeat at the hands of Japan in the teams’ opening group-stage encounter. In the next match, 2010 champion Spain was leading Germany by a 1-0 margin in the dying stages when Niclas scored an 83rd-minute goal to secure a vital 1-1 draw. This was just the 3rd match of his senior international career for Germany and his 2nd goal.
- In Germany’s last match of the group stage, against Costa Rica, Niclas scored the last goal of the match (in the 89th minute) in a 4-2 victory. Unfortunately, the result was not enough to help Germany qualify for the knockout phase of the tournament as they finished 3rd in their group. Both Spain and Germany had 4 points but Spain advanced due to a better goal difference (+6) than Germany (+1). This meant that Germany was knocked out at the group stage in 2 successive editions of the FIFA World Cup (2018 and 2022) after having been crowned champions in 2014.
Featured Image by Niclas Füllkrug / Instagram