|Niki Caro Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 20, 1966|
Niki Caro is a New Zealander film director and screenwriter who has directed movies such as Memory & Desire (1998), Whale Rider (2002), North Country (2015), A Heavenly Vintage (2009), McFarland, USA (2015), The Zookeeper’s Wife (2017), and Mulan (2020). She had written the script for 3 out of the first 4 of those films and had produced A Heavenly Vintage (2009). She is also well recognized for writing and directing 5 episodes of the medical drama TV series Mercy Peak (2001-2002).
Nikola Jean Caro
Wellington, North Island, New Zealand
She splits her time between Wellington, North Island, New Zealand, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
Niki had attended the Kadimah School, a primary school in Auckland, New Zealand, after which she had joined the Diocesan School for Girls, an Anglican private girls’ school in Epsom, Auckland.
In the late 1980s, after her high school graduation, she had been enrolled in the Elam School of Fine Arts, a part of the Faculty of Creative Arts and Industries at The University of Auckland, an Auckland-based public university. She had graduated from there in 1988 with a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) degree, having been trained in metal sculpting.
Her interests had later shifted to filmmaking and for her post-graduate studies, she had joined the Swinburne University of Technology, a public research university in Melbourne. She had earned a post-graduate diploma in film from the institution.
Film Director, Screenwriter
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Niki has dated –
- Andrew Lister – Through her marriage with an architect named Andrew Lister, Niki has 2 daughters named Tui and Pearl.
Race / Ethnicity
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
- Slender frame
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
Niki Caro Facts
- She had started her career by writing rough drafts for film and TV scripts which would later be typed by her mother. She was eventually hired by a production company to write and direct for a TV series called Another Country.
- Niki had then directed TV commercials for companies such as the New Zealand Land Transport Safety Authority, Nike, and Tower Insurance.
- Her feature film directorial debut, Memory & Desire (1998), was selected for the Critics’ Week at the Cannes film festival in 1998. A year later, the film was voted as the ‘Best New Film’ at the New Zealand Film Awards.
- The birth of her first daughter had taken place shortly after the success of her 2nd feature-film directorial venture Whale Rider (2002). She was unable to attend any of the film’s premieres due to her pregnancy.
- In 2005, she was included by Fade In magazine in its list of ‘100 People in Hollywood You Need to Know’.
- When she was selected to direct the fantasy action drama film Mulan, she had become just the 2nd female director to helm a Disney film budgeted at over USD 100 million after Ava DuVernay (A Wrinkle in Time, 2018). This had also made her just the 2nd New Zealander director to helm a Disney film budgeted at over USD 100 million after Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok, 2017).
Featured Image by Niki Caro / Instagram