|Nitish Rana Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||December 27, 1993|
Nitish Rana is an Indian professional cricketer who has played for his home state of Delhi (2011–2023) across all 3 formats, as a middle-order batsman, in the Indian domestic circuit. In November 2018, he was named the captain of the Delhi first-class team. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), he has turned out for Mumbai Indians (2014–2017) and Kolkata Knight Riders (2018–Present). With the former franchise, he had won the IPL title twice – in 2015 and 2017. In the latter season, he had been a key team member contributing 333 runs in 13 matches from the middle order. With Kolkata Knight Riders, he gradually shifted to a slightly different team role, providing brisk starts from the top of the batting order.
- Father – Dara Singh Rana (Mathematics Professor)
- Mother – Satish Rana
- Siblings – Ashish Rana (Older Brother), Vishakha Rana (Sister)
- Others – Surinder Marwah (Father-in-Law) (Architect) (d. October 2020), Sangita Marwah (Mother-in-Law) (Bronze Sculptor), Tanya Marwah (Sister-in-Law), Paramveer Marwah (Brother-in-Law), Yajur Marwah (Brother-in-Law) (Actor)
Right-Arm Off Break
Middle/Top Order Batsman
27 – Mumbai Indians (IPL), Kolkata Knight Riders (IPL)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nitish has dated –
- Saachi Marwah (2016-Present) – Nitish had started dating architecture/interior designer Saachi Marwah in 2016. He had first met her through his good friend and Saachi’s brother Paramveer Marwah. The couple got married in February 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a rugged beard
- Has tattoos on both his hands
He has been sponsored by the sports goods manufacturing giant Adidas.
Nitish Rana Facts
- He had made his first-class debut in the 2015–16 season of the Ranji Trophy (India’s premier domestic first-class cricket competition). He had made a very strong first impression ending the tournament with 557 runs, at an average of 50.63, as his team’s leading run-getter.
- In the same domestic season, he was the team’s second-highest run-scorer in the Vijay Hazare Trophy (India’s premier domestic one-day cricket competition), with 218 runs to his name.
- In the 2017-18 season of the Ranji Trophy, he had recorded an impressive tally of 613 runs in just 8 games at an average of 55.72. His performance had been a key contributor to the Kolkata Knight Riders‘ decision to acquire him at the mega auction for the upcoming season of the IPL.
- During the 2020 IPL season, he was investigated for his involvement in age-fudging, a common misdemeanor in the Indian subcontinent through which young players’ families and/or coaches attempt to extend the player’s age-group cricket career in an attempt to provide them extra opportunities in a highly competitive environment.
- He was one among 22 players who were banned by the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India), the governing body for the sport in the country, in 2015, for the same reason which had made him ineligible for age-group cricket. Had he been found guilty again in 2020, he would have had to miss out on the entire IPL season. He had, however, escaped the punishment.
- In May 2023, Nitish’s wife Saachi’s car was stalked and chased by 2 men (both aged 18) on a bike in Kirti Nagar, Delhi. She reached home safely. They were later arrested.
- In August 2023, he started playing for Uttar Pradesh in domestic cricket and left the Delhi cricket team.
Featured Image by Nitish Rana / Instagram