|Onir Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 1, 1969|
Onir is an Indian film and TV director, editor, screenwriter as well as a producer who is widely recognized for his movies like, one of the first mainstream Hindi features to deal with AIDS and same-s*x relationships, My Brother…Nikhil (2005). He is the recipient of many accolades including the National Award in 2011 for “Best Hindi Feature Film”. He has amassed more than 55k followers on Instagram.
He went to Jadavpur University in Kolkata to study Comparative Literature, graduating in 1989. He also took Film classes at Chitrabani film school. Prior to acquiring his post-graduate degree, he received a scholarship to study Film Editing at SFB/TTC in Berlin.
Film and TV Director, Editor, Screenwriter, Producer
- Father – Aparesh Dhar
- Mother – Manjushree
- Siblings – Abhishek Dhar (Younger Brother) (Theoretical Physicist), Irene Dhar Malik (Sister) (Film & TV Editor)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Mole on his forehead
- Cleft chin
Onir Favorite Things
- Beverage – Tea
Source – Instagram
- He has recalled having spent the majority of his childhood going to the cinema.
- He had relocated to Kolkata around 1990.
- After finishing his studies in Berlin, he had returned to India and started working as an editor, scriptwriter, art director, music album producer as well as a song/music video director, prior to becoming an independent producer and director.
- He has been one of the handful of openly gay directors in Bollywood.
- He has disclosed that he had been inspired by the true story of gay Major J. Suresh who had resigned from the Army because of his s*xual orientation. He had seen his interview on NDTV in late 2020, in which he had spoken about quitting the Army, having given the reason being his identity as a gay man that was conflicting with his job profile. Onir had been toying with the idea of creating a sequel to his movie I Am (2011) and began writing the script for We Are in early 2021. He has added that he has always wanted to celebrate queer love stories.
- He is fluent in Bengali, Russian, German, and Tamil.
Featured Image by Onir / Instagram