|Patina Miller Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||November 6, 1984|
Patina Miller is an American actress, singer, and dancer who rose to prominence with the role of nightclub singer-turned-nun Deloris Van Cartier in the West End (2010) and Broadway (2011) productions of the theatre musical Sister Act. Raised by a single parent, Patina was introduced to music early as she used to sing with the choir at her local church. After completing her graduation in 2006, she began auditioning for plays, TV series, and theatre musicals. In 2007, she landed her first acting role as Pam Henderson in the TV Series All My Children. She then played Sheila in a Central Park production of the theatre musical Hair (2008). Patina was selected as an understudy in 2007 for the theatre musical Sister Act. She trained for 6 months for the role of Deloris Van Cartier. When the production opened at the London Palladium in 2009, it received mixed reviews but most critics positively praised Patina’s performance and singing.
When the production returned to the US, Patina reprised the role of Deloris from March 2011 to March 2012. In parallel, in February 2011, she also starred as Linda in the theatre production of the musical Lost in the Stars. Patina’s performances on stage had made her a rising star on the scene and she went on to perform as the Leading Player in the theatre revival of another musical, Pippin. Patina gained critical acclaim for giving a modern twist to a role that was initially written for a male and mastering the Fosse dance movements that the show relied upon. In subsequent years, Patina has moved to roles in films and TV series. She played Commander Paylor in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (2014) and reprised that role in the movie’s sequel in 2015. She is also well recognized for her long-running stint as press coordinator Daisy Grant in the political drama TV series Madam Secretary.
Patina Renea Miller
Pageland, South Carolina, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Patina attended South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts & Humanities (Greenville, South Carolina) to complete her schooling. She then attended Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh) on a full scholarship and graduated with a degree in musical theatre, in 2006.
- Mother – Robin Burch (Baptist Minister)
- Others – Barbara Jean Bush (Maternal Grandmother)
She is represented by –
- Jeremy Katz, Manager, The Katz Company, New York, United States
- Clay Mills, Associate, The Katz Company, New York, United States
- Kris Byrd, Assistant, The Katz Company, New York, United States
Pop, Stage & Screen, Rock, Jazz, R&B, Country Gospel
- First Night Records
- Ghostlight Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.6 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Patina has dated –
- David Mars (2011–Present) – Patina had a love marriage with businessman and venture capitalist David Mars. They met on an online dating website, eHarmony in 2011 and Patina has stated that they fell in love at first sight. They eventually got married on June 14, 2014, in New York City. The wedding ceremony was officiated by her mother, Robin Burch. The couple was blessed with a daughter named Emerson Harper on August 9, 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
- Dimpled Smile
Best Known For
- Portraying Deloris Van Cartier in the 2011 theatre musical Sister Act and starring as the Leading Player in the musical Pippin from 2013 to 2014
- Her role as Daisy Grant in the political drama TV series Madam Secretary
As a Singer
Patina was part of the Original London Cast‘s recording of the hit musical Sister Act (2009).
Patina made her theatrical film debut as Commander Paylor in the 2014 movie The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1.
First TV Show
Patina made her TV show debut as Pam Henderson on All My Children in 2007.
Patina has stated that she makes it a point to work out daily. She regularly posts about her workout routine on Instagram. While she was performing in the musical Pippin, she used to focus a lot on strength training due to the acrobatic demands of her role. Over time, she has added boxing and jump-roping to her fitness routine.
She follows a strict diet during the week but allows herself some relaxation over the weekend. On a regular weekday, she has a protein shake/eggs before a workout and scrambled eggs, and berries for breakfast. Her lunch consists of fish, rice, and vegetables; and for dinner, she falls back on fish, vegetables, quinoa, and sweet potato. She makes it a point to have regular snacks in small portions over the course of her day that include hard-boiled eggs, an apple, and almond butter.
Patina Miller Favorite Things
- Singers – Nina Simone, Jennifer Holliday, Heather Headley
- Actresses – Sheryl Lee Ralph, Audra McDonald
- Fairy Tales – Cinderella, Little Red Riding hood, Beauty and The Beast, and Hansel and Gretel
- Song – Magic to Do from the 2013 musical Pippin
- Food – Pizza, Kale Salad, Salmon
- Restaurants – La Bandita in Tuscany, ABC Kitchen in New York, Snooze in Denver
- Drinks – Coconut Water, Coffee, Almond Milk
- Workout – Planks, Sit-ups, Pushups, Bicycle crunches
Source – WFAE.org, Broadway World, TheNewPotato.com
Patina Miller Facts
- She has credited her time at Carnegie Mellon University as a defining chapter in her life. She has stated that this phase made her realize that she was capable enough of turning her dreams into reality.
- In 2005, Patina was among the 3 finalists shortlisted for the role of Effie White in the musical drama Dreamgirls. The role eventually went to Jennifer Hudson, who won the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actress” for that performance.
- For the London run of the musical Sister Act, Patina earned a “Best Actress in a Musical” nomination at the 2010 Laurence Olivier Awards.
- For the American run of the musical Sister Act, Patina won a “Theatre World Award” in 2011. She was also nominated for “Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical” at the 2011 Tony Awards.
- Patina won “Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical” award at the 2013 Tony Awards for her performance in the musical Pippin. She also won “Outstanding Actress in a Musical” at the 2013 Outer Critics Circle Awards. The play also won “Best Revival of a Musical” at the 2013 Tony Awards.
- As a contributing artist, Patina recorded the song Taking Back My Life for Scott Alan’s 2010 album, What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up. She also recorded the song Random Black Girl for Kooman and Dimond’s 2011 album, Out of Our Heads.
- As a singer, Patina was a part of the New Broadway Cast’s recording of the hit musical Pippin (2013).
- Patina extended her singing prowess showcased at the theatre level to live performances with her first solo concert at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts during its 2013-2014 theatrical season.
- She made her New York City concert debut in February 2014 when she performed at Lincoln Center. It was later aired by public broadcaster PBS, as Patina Miller in Concert.
- Patina and her husband named their first-born after American poet and philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- Patina has altophobia but succeeded in conquering her fears during her performances for the musical Pippin. In every show, she had to hang from a trapeze while singing and doing acrobatics. Patina used her 2-year stint at Pippin as an opportunity to conquer her fear of heights.
- Patina’s first public performance came in a school talent show. She sang His Eye Is on the Sparrow, a song from the musical Sister Act 2. As fate would have it, she later went on to make her breakthrough acting performance in a theatre production of Sister Act.
- As of October 2019, her dream is to play a strong, black female superhero in a Marvel film.
- Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Brecon / Wikimedia / CC BY-3.0