|Patti LuPone Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 21, 1949|
Patti LuPone is a Grammy and Tony Award-winning American actress and singer. She is recognized for her roles in musical plays like Evita, The Cradle Will Rock, Les Miserables, Anything Goes, Sunset Boulevard, Sweeney Todd, Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, Gypsy, and The Ghosts of Versailles. Patti has also worked in films and TV series like Witness, Driving Miss Daisy, State and Main, Parker, The Comedian, Life Goes On, Law & Order, Frasier, Oz, 30 Rock, American Horror Story: Coven, and Penny Dreadful. She was inducted into the American Theater Hall of Fame in 2006.
Patti Ann LuPone
Northport, New York, United States
- Edisto Beach, South Carolina, United States
- Kent, Connecticut, United States
Patti LuPone attended Juilliard‘s Drama Division in Manhattan, New York in 1968 and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1972.
- Father – Orlando Joseph LuPone (School Administrator and English Teacher at Walt Whitman High School)
- Mother – Angela Louise (Library Administrator at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University)
- Siblings – Robert LuPone (Older Brother) (Actor, Dancer, and Director) and William LuPone (Older Brother) (Ecologist)
- Others – Tom Fontana (Cousin), Adelina Patti (Great-Great Aunt) (19th-Century Opera Singer), Pasquale Lupone (Paternal Grandfather), Felicia Petrella (Paternal Grandmother), Gaetano Petrella (Paternal Great Grandfather), Maria Guiseppa (Paternal Great Grandmother), Vincenzo/Gaetano/Giacomo Patti (Maternal Grandfather), Giorgio Patti (Maternal Great Grandfather), Angelina Notaro (Maternal Great Grandmother), and Frances Patti (Maternal Grandmother)
Patti LuPone is managed by –
- Meadowlark Productions, Inc., LayZLay Records, Production Company, New Preston, Connecticut, United States
- Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Patti LuPone has dated –
- Paul Stanley – Patti was once in a relationship with musician Paul Stanley.
- Kevin Kline – In the early 1970s, Patti started dating actor Kevin Kline. They both graduated together from the Juilliard‘s Drama Division in Manhattan, New York in 1972. They dated for 7 years until Kevin cheated on her with a chorus girl in Boston.
- Ron Duguay (1983) – In 1983, Patti was in a relationship with Canadian ice hockey player Ron Duguay.
- Matthew Johnston (1987-Present) – In 1987, Patti started dating cameraman Matthew Johnston. They met each other on the sets of LBJ: The Early Years (1987) in 1986. After dating for a year, the couple tied the knot on December 12, 1988, upon the stage of the Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center. The couple has a son named Joshua Luke Johnston (b. November 21, 1990).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Italian (Sicilian and Abruzzese) descent.
She tends to dye her hair in different colors.
- Broad jaws
- Long rounded chin
She hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
Her work in stage musicals including Evita (1979) as Eva Perón, Les Miserables (1985) as Fantine, Anything Goes (1987) as Reno Sweeney, Sunset Boulevard (1993) as Norma Desmond, Sweeney Todd (2005) as Mrs. Lovett, Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (2007) as Begbick, Gypsy (2008) as Rose, and The Ghosts of Versailles (2015) as Samira
On June 8, 1993, she released her first solo album Patti LuPone Live with Masterworks Broadway Record Label.
In 1978, she made her theatrical film debut in the drama film King of the Gypsies. However, she was uncredited for her role.
In 1979, she made her formal theatrical film debut in the action comedy film 1941 as Lydia Hedberg.
First TV Show
In 1977, she made her first TV show appearance on the crime drama series The Andros Targets as Sharon Walker.
In 1993, she made her TV show debut as a voice actress on the comedy series Frasier as Pam.
Patti LuPone follows a diet based on her blood type. Being an ‘O’ positive, Patti avoids eating shrimp, crab, and lobster. She has stuck to eating more organic vegetables like kale. Patti admits to being more conscious of the food that her body can tolerate as she grows older.
Patti LuPone Favorite Things
- New Yorkers – Stagehands
- Place In New York – Central Park
- Street In New York – West 45th Street between Broadway and Eighth
- Personal Moment She’s Had In New York – Getting married onstage at the Vivian Beaumont Theater
- Flowers – Gardenias, Orchids
- Hotel – The Peninsula in Hong Kong, Surf and Sand in Laguna Beach, California
- Trips – LSD in Central Park in the ’70s and Southeast Asia
Patti LuPone Facts
- At the age of 13, her parents separated, and her father moved to San Diego.
- Her older brothers are twins.
- She and her brothers William and Robert used to perform together as “The LuPone Trio.”
- Her name “Patti” is derived from her mother’s maiden name.
- At the age of 4, she fell in love with acting when she was in a school play.
- In 1985, she became the first American actress to win the Olivier Award in England for her performances in “Les Misérables” and “The Cradle Will Rock”.
- In 1994, she underwent surgery to remove nodes from her vocal cords.
- She has collaborated with David Mamet many times.
- She is good friends with Kristin Chenoweth.
- In 2006, she was inducted in the American Theater Hall of Fame.
- If she could have a drink with anyone, she would have had it with Kiki & Herb.
- She has a gifted voice and can perform in the mezzo-soprano vocal range.
- In September 2010, she released a memoir based on her life titled “Patti LuPone: A Memoir”.
- She is known to have called out to the audience for taking pictures and using mobile phones during her stage performances, stating that such acts cause disturbances to others and distractions to the actors on stage.
- Her dream destinations include Bhutan, Sikkim, Nepal, and Tibet.
- Things she carries on flight consists of a pillow, a humidity-flyer, Burt’s Bees lip balm, hand and face cream, computer, passport, a book she is reading, sleeping pills, an eye mask and earplugs, and a protein bar.
- She hates flying.
- She considers Hal Prince as the cruelest director she has ever worked with.
- Visit her official website @ pattilupone.net.
- She is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Drama League / Flickr / CC BY-2.0