|Pete Buttigieg Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 19, 1982|
Pete Buttigieg is an American politician who became the mayor of South Bend, Indiana in 2012. After graduating from Oxford University in 2007, he worked as a consultant at the esteemed McKinsey and Company. He then went on to serve as an intelligence officer in the United States Navy and was deployed in Afghanistan. He has been elected mayor of his hometown of South Bend in 2011 and 2015. In April 2019, he launched his campaign to run for the President of the United States in the 2020 elections, aiming to become the youngest President in history, as well as the first-ever openly gay President.
Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg
Mayor Pete, Boot-Edge-Edge
South Bend, Indiana, United States
South Bend, Indiana, United States
Pete graduated from St. Joseph High School in his hometown of South Bend as a valedictorian in 2000. He then graduated magna cum laude from the esteemed Harvard University in 2004 and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship. In 2007, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree with first-class honors in philosophy, politics, and economics from Pembroke College, Oxford University.
- Father – Joseph Buttigieg (Former Professor)
- Mother – Jennifer Anne Montgomery
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Pete has dated –
- Chasten Glezman (2015–Present) – They got married on June 16, 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Maltese descent.
- Short-cropped hair
- Dimpled smile
- Clean-shaven look
Pete Buttigieg Favorite Things
- Book – Ulysses (1922) by James Joyce
- Beverage – Scotch
- Snack – Beef Jerky
- TV Shows – Family Guy, Rick and Morty, Game of Thrones (2011-2019), and Veep
- Comic Book Superhero – Spiderman
- Ice Cream Flavors – Cherry, Honey
Pete Buttigieg Facts
- In 2000, while in high school, Pete Buttigieg won the first prize in the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum’s essay contest. He had profiled the integrity and courage of the politician Bernie Sanders in his essay. As fate would have it, 19 years later, Pete was up against Bernie in the race to become the President of the United States.
- At Harvard University, he was the president of the Student Advisory Committee of the Harvard Institute of Politics. At Oxford University, Pete had been the editor of the ‘Oxford International Review’.
- Pete is the co-founder of the ‘Democratic Renaissance Project’, an organization that promotes the concept of new and relevant ideas being introduced in public political debates.
- For the 2004 Presidential elections, Pete had worked for Democratic candidate John Kerry’s campaign in the states Arizona and New Mexico. Interestingly, he had declined to work for future president Barack Obama‘s 2004 senate campaign.
- Pete became a part of the ‘Truman National Security Project’ in 2005 and serves as an expert on Afghanistan and Pakistan, owing to his deployment in Afghanistan with the US Navy.
- He had joined the Navy Reserve in 2009 and famously took a seven-month leave during his mayoral term in 2014 to be deployed in Afghanistan. For his service, he was awarded the ‘Joint Service Commendation Medal’ and the ‘Joint Meritorious Unit Award’.
- Pete can, in addition to English, speak Norwegian, Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, Dari Persian, and French in varying degrees of fluency. He also plays the guitar and piano and had performed, as a guest, with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra in 2013.
- He is only the 2nd-ever openly gay politician to run for the United States Presidency.
- In 2019, he published his autobiography titled Shortest Way Home: One Mayor’s Challenge and a Model for America’s Future.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0