|Pritam Chakraborty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 14, 1971|
Pritam Chakraborty is an Indian singer, multi-instrumentalist, businessman, music director, record producer, actor, and composer for Bollywood movies. He is best known as a soundtrack composer for movies such as Jab We Met (2007), Love Aaj Kal (2009), Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai (2010), Cocktail (2012), Barfi! (2012), Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016), and Jagga Jasoos (2017).
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Pritam attended St. James’ School in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Geology from Presidency University in Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
In 1994, Pritam enrolled in the Film and Television Institute of India in Kolhapur, Pune, India, and studied Sound Recording and Engineering. He completed his degree in 1997.
Singer, Multi-Instrumentalist, Composer, Businessman, Record Producer, Music Director, Actor
- Father – Prabodh Chakraborty (Worked in the insurance industry)
- Mother – Anuradha Chakraborty
Pritam Chakraborty is represented by JAM8 (Company) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Film Songs, Sufi, Sufi Rock, Pop, Rock, Classical
Vocals, Guitar, Tabla, Keyboard
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Pritam Chakraborty has dated –
- Smita Bhattacharya (2002-Present) – Pritam got married to Smita in May 2007 after 5 years of dating. They have 2 children, son Purvesh (b. 2007), whom they call Salsa, and daughter Ishqa (b. November 2009). His son was born more than a month prematurely and had to be kept in an incubator.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Bengali descent.
Pritam Chakraborty Favorite Things
- Songs From Jab Harry Met Sejal (2017) – Ghar, Yaadon Mein
- Modern Movie Soundtracks – Black Panther (2018), Gully Boy (2019)
Source – Live Mint
Pritam Chakraborty Facts
- He was trained in music at a young age by his dad. He learned to play the guitar while still in school.
- During his time at Presidency University, Pritam had the chance to compose background music for his 1st film. He also formed a band named Jotugriher Pakhi for which he played guitar.
- Around 1997, he composed jingles for brands such as Limca, Complan, Thums Up, McDonald’s, Head & Shoulders, Emami, and Santro.
- His 1st break as a composer was the movie Tere Liye (2001) for which he composed in duet with Jeet Gannguli. Critics praised the music but the film missed the mark. However, the duo gained prominence after all of the songs they composed for the movie Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai (2002) became chartbusters.
- He formed a band named Metro before the release of the film Life in a Metro (2007).
- Rolling Stone India accused him of plagiarism between 2004 and 2010. Pritam admitted to some accusations, stating that he “made mistakes initially.”
- He always gets mistaken for Azhar Khan, son of the Indian actor Mazhar Khan.
- Pritam was a judge and mentor for the reality-TV shows Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge in 2009, and Sa Re Ga Ma Pa in 2012, 2013, and 2016.
- His musical style is often described as “Indian classical music fused with contemporary undertones.”
- In 2016, he founded JAM8 (Just About Music 8). It was a music incubation platform that signed up-and-coming music talent. It also provided the technology and infrastructure needed to produce music for Bollywood movies. Not too long after its creation, they formed a business relationship with well-known brands such as Maruti Suzuki, Close Up, Nerolac, and Duracell.
- Pritam admitted to working on movie soundtrack songs until the moment they are taken from his hands. Even if there are none, he always finds faults and keeps changing things. He is known for his quote: “What can be done in one day, I can do in a hundred!”
- He stated that working for the movie Jagga Jasoos (2017) felt like composing for 5 movies at once.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / BollywooHungama.com / CC BY-3.0