|Quvenzhané Wallis Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 28, 2003|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Quvenzhané Wallis is an American actress and author who is best known for portraying roles such as Hushpuppy in Beasts of the Southern Wild, Annie Bennett Stacks in Annie, and Kyra in Black-ish. She has also appeared in numerous other TV shows and films such as 12 Years a Slave, Lemonade, Fathers and Daughters, Swagger, and has done voiceover work in films like Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet and Trolls. As an author, she has published several books such as Shai & Emmie Star in Break an Egg!, Shai & Emmie Star in To the Rescue!, Shai & Emmie Star in Dancy Pants!, and A Night Out with Mama. For her acting skills, Quvenzhané has been honored with numerous awards such as the Black Reel Award, Critics’ Choice Movie Award, Gold Derby Film Award, and Satellite Award.
You can check her name’s pronunciation in the video below.
Houma, Louisiana, U.S.
Wallis attended Honduras Elementary School in Houma, Louisiana.
- Father – Venjie Wallis, Sr. (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Qulyndreia (née Jackson) (Teacher)
- Siblings – Qunyquekya (Sister), Vejon (Brother), Venjie, Jr. (Brother)
4 ft 9 in or 145 cm
34 kg or 75 pounds
Race / Ethnicity
Uses dog-shaped purses
She has been seen in a Maserati Super Bowl commercial in 2014 and even SONY.
As a model, she has served as the face of Giorgio Armani Junior in 2014.
Best Known For
Her films Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), and Annie (2014).
In 2012, Wallis appeared in the drama film Beasts of the Southern Wild for her role as Hushpuppy. She starred in her very first film.
First TV Show
In 2010, Wallis was a guest at the talk-show MKP Celebrity Talk.
Quvenzhané Wallis Favorite Things
- Breakfast – Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes
- Animal – Polar Bear
Source – Woman’s Day, NY Times
Quvenzhané Wallis Facts
- “Quven”, the first name of Quvenzhané has the syllables of both her parents’ first names.
- To audition for “Beasts of the Southern Wild”, the minimum age was 6, but she lied about her age (Wallis was 5 at that time) and got a role by beating 4000 other candidates.
- The “Zhané” part of her name means “fairy”.
- In November 2012, she was honored with the key to her hometown, Houma.
- Quvenzhané reportedly received $750,000 for the 2014 comedy-drama film Annie.
- Wallis voiced the role of Almitra in the 2014 animated film Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet.
- When she was nominated for the Best Actress Academy Award on January 10, 2013, she became the youngest nominee to achieve that feat. She was 9 at that time.
- Quvenzhané is the first African-American child actor to be nominated for an Oscar.
- Quvenzhané is the first person who was born in the 21st century and got an Oscar nomination.
- In 2015, along with her mom, she raised the awareness of childhood hunger by teaming up with Kellogg’s Give a Child Breakfast program.
- In an interview given to NYTimes in September 2014, Quvenzhané revealed that whenever she has to cry on-screen, she mostly think of sad things about animals like how they are becoming extinct.
- Quvenzhané is the 10th black actress to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.