|Rajinikanth Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 12, 1950|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rajinikanth is an Indian actor, producer, and screenwriter who is best known for his work in Tamil, Hindi, Kannada, Bengali, Telugu, and Malayalam cinema and is considered as one of the most successful actors in Indian cinema. He has portrayed roles like Prasad in Moondru Mudichu, Manikkam in Nallavanukku Nallavan, Rajashekar, Chinnarasu in Rajadhi Raja, Ghajraj Thakur in Bulandi, Sivaji Arumugam (M. G. Ravichandran) in Sivaji: The Boss, Vaseegaran/Chitti in Enthiran, and Petta Velan (Kaali) in Petta. He has also appeared in a variety of other films like Annaatthe, Cinema Veeran, Chandramukhi, Bhagya Debata, Aatank Hi Aatank, Insaniyat Ke Devta, Nattukku Oru Nallavan, Phool Bane Angaray, Raja Chinna Roja, and many more. For his acting skills, Rajinikanth has been honored with several awards such as the Cinema Express Award, Filmfare Awards South, South Screen Award, and Nandi Award. He has also been the recipient of awards like Padma Bhushan (2000), Padma Vibhushan (2016), and Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2021).
Shivaji Rao Gaekwad
Rajinikanth, Superstar, Thalaivar
Bangalore, Mysore State (now Karnataka), India
Rajinikanth lives in a lavish bungalow in the posh neighborhood of Poes Garden in Chennai.
Rajinikanth went to the Gavipuram Government Kannada Model Primary School. His brother had also got him into Ramakrishna Math, which is a Hindu monastery operated by Ramakrishna Mission.
When he was in 6th grade, he got enrolled at the Acharya Pathasala Public School and studied there until the completion of his pre-university studies.
Later, he got enrolled in an acting course offered by Madras Film Institute.
Actor, Producer, Screenplay writer, Philanthropist
- Father – Ramoji Rao Gaekwad (Police Constable)
- Mother – His mother was a housewife.
- Siblings – Satyanarayana Rao (Older Brother), Nageshwara Rao (Older Brother), Aswath Balubhai (Older Sister)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rajinikanth has dated –
- Latha Rangachari (1981-Present) – In February 1981, Rajinikanth got married to Latha Rangachari in Tirupati, Andra Pradesh. They had first met when she was studying at the Ethiraj College for Women and had conducted his interview for the college magazine. In the course of their marriage, she has given birth to two daughters – Aishwarya Rajinikanth and Soundarya Rajinikanth. Aishwarya is married to actor Dhanush and is a mother of two sons – Yathra and Linga. Soundarya is married to industrialist Ashwin Ramkumar and is a mother of a boy, Ved Krishna.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Maratha ancestry.
- Partially bald
- Unique dialogue delivery, gestures, and mannerism
- Style icon
Rajinikanth isn’t a fan of doing endorsement work for any brand. Over the course of his career that has spanned over 4 decades, he has steadfastly refused to appear in any TV advert.
He is a devout Hindu and has a habit of visiting big temples before the release of his movies. He also leans heavily towards spirituality and is known for his visits to the Himalayas to connect with his spiritual side.
Plus, he meditates on a daily basis.
Best Known For
- Being one of the biggest movie stars in the country. His mass appeal in South India is almost unrivaled.
- Having appeared in some of the biggest movies of the South Indian film industry. His movies such as Sivaji and Chandramukhi have been immense hits in his career.
- The immense influence he wields on the Kannada society and other neighboring states. He is known to hold a decisive hold over Dravidian politics.
In 1975, he made his theatrical film debut in the supporting role in the Tamil drama movie, Apoorva Raagangal.
Rajinikanth has retained his youthful looks and he credits his disciplined workout regime for his young looks and good health. He gets up at 5 in the morning and heads out for a jogging session, which usually lasts about an hour. Rajinikanth also likes to go for a walk in the evening. He is also a big fan of daily meditation and prefers yoga over other exercise forms. He insists that yoga helps him get a good night’s sleep.
Rajinikanth is also very particular about his diet. He avoids eating sugar, rice, and curd. He also refrains from the consumption of other dairy products such as ghee and milk.
Rajinikanth Favorite Things
- Food – Mutton or Chicken Curry
Source – MSN.com
- After the completion of his school education, he did a number of odd jobs including working as a carpenter and coolie in Bangalore and Madras.
- He eventually managed to grab the job position of bus conductor with Bangalore Transport Service (BTS). He later left the job to take classes at Madras Film Institute.
- Initially, his family wasn’t supportive of his decision to leave a stable job for his passion. However, his co-worker and close friend Raj Bahadur backed him to join the institute and even supported him financially.
- He holds the distinction of being the first Indian actor to be featured in the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) syllabus as an entire lesson titled as From Bus Conductor to Superstar was dedicated to him.
- In 2002, he decided to go on a day-long fast after Karnataka’s government decided not to release water from Kaveri River in Tamil Nadu. He even decided to donate INR 10 million to the cause.
- In 2008, he decided to join the cause of Nadigar Sangam and go on a hunger strike with the organization as they decided to take on Karnataka Government over their stand on the Hogenakkal Falls water dispute.
- In the 1980s, he decided to lead the promotion for the corneal transplantation campaign, which proved to be instrumental in breaking the superstitious beliefs against eye donation.
- Rajinikanth has been involved in several philanthropic endeavors. However, he has refrained from attracting any attention or media glare to his humanitarian work.
- In 2000, he was honored by the Indian Government with the Padma Bhushan award. In 2016, he was rewarded with the Padma Vibhushan award in recognition of his contributions to art and cinema.
- His birthday is celebrated by his fans as International Style Day and World Style Day.
- The renowned Tamil director K. Balachander decided to give him his break after having seen his performances in plays staged at Madras Film Institute.
- On December 25, 2020, he was hospitalized at the Apollo Hospital in Hyderabad after suffering BP fluctuation due to severe hypertension and exhaustion. He was discharged from the hospital after 2 days.
- In October 2021, Rajinikanth was honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his outstanding contribution to Indian Cinema.
- In July 2022, actor Rajinikanth was honored by the Income Tax Department of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry for contributing towards nation-building and being one of the highest taxpayers.
- When he was a bus conductor, he used to indulge in bad habits such as smoking countless cigarettes daily, eating mutton twice a day, and even drinking daily. His habits became even worse after joining the film industry as he started getting more money for his bad habits. He started changing only after getting the help of his wife Latha.
- After the success of his 2023 film Jailer, the film producer Kalanithi Maran gifted Rajinikanth a brand new BMW X7 worth over ₹1.26 crore and also gave him a cheque of Rs 100 crore in order to share the profits of the film.
- In October 2023, his doppelganger Sudhakar Prabhu became famous for his resemblance to superstar Rajinikanth who ran a tea shop in Pattalam Road, Fort Kochi.
Featured Image by Sureshciti / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0