|Sam Bird Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||January 9, 1987|
Sam Bird is a British professional racing driver who has primarily competed in the FIA World Endurance Championship, the Formula E World Championship, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race. He is best known for winning the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship in the LMP2 category. He had finished as runner-up in the 2005 Formula BMW UK series, the 2013 GP2 Series, and the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship in the LMGTE Pro category. Sam had earned the 3rd position at the 2009 Macau Grand Prix; in the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 Series, the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance in the LMP2 category, and the 2017–18 season of the Formula E World Championship. He had also served as a test driver in the premier Formula One tier in 2012 for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team.
Sam Jamie Bird
Roehampton, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Sam had attended the Millfield School in Somerset.
Professional Racing Driver
- 71 – FIA World Endurance Championship
- 2 – Formula E
Formula E Teams
Sam has raced for –
- Virgin Racing/DS Virgin Racing (2014-15 to 2017–18)
- Envision Virgin Racing (2018-19 to Present)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sam has dated –
- Hollie Christie (2017-Present) – Sam had proposed to his partner Hollie Christie (aka Hollie Harrington) after he triumphed at the 2017 6 Hours of Bahrain race. The couple got married on August 23, 2018, in a ceremony in Lake Como, Italy.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Toned physique
- Often sports a thick beard
- Affable smile
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Has a tattoo on his left arm
- Has a mole on his neck
He has been sponsored by the multinational oil and gas company BP plc.
Sam Bird Facts
- In 2006, Sam was named the ‘Autosport Club Driver of the Year’.
- In 2007, he was one among the 6 drivers who were elected to the Motor Sports Association Race Elite Scheme and consequently earned an opportunity to participate in a set of aerodynamic tests for the AT&T Williams F1 Team.
- While he finished in the runner-up position in the 2013 GP2 Series, his consistent performances along with those of teammate Tom Dillmann helped their team, the newly formed Russian Time secure the top position in the constructors’ championship. The GP2 Series was the only competition that Sam had entered in 2013 and for his technical proficiency, he was awarded the year’s Pirelli Trophy for Tyre Management.
- In the last race of the inaugural 2014-15 season of the Formula E World Championship, the 2015 London ePrix, his home race, Sam had finished 2nd. However, he was eventually handed the win after race winner Stéphane Sarrazin was hit with a 49-second penalty.
- When he won the 2019 Diriyah ePrix, the opening race of the 2019-20 Formula E World Championship, Sam became the first driver to win at least 1 race in every season of Formula E since the competition’s inaugural 2014-15 season.
Featured Image by Sam Bird / Instagram