|Shafali Verma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||January 28, 2004|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Shafali Verma is an Indian professional cricketer who has represented her country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as an opening batter. A child prodigy, she had made her international debut for India in September 2019, as a 15-year-old, in a T20I match against South Africa. She had thus become the youngest female cricketer to represent India in a T20I match. In June 2021, when she had made her ODI debut, in a match against England, she had become the youngest player, male or female, to have represented India in all 3 formats of international cricket. In the Indian domestic circuit, she has played for her home state of Haryana across all 3 formats. A destructive batter at the top of the order, she was tipped from a very young age to be the cricketer who would transform the way that the Indian women’s team approaches limited-overs cricket. She has represented Velocity (2019-Present) in the Women’s T20 Challenge, an annual Indian T20 tournament that began in 2018 as a special event to showcase women’s cricket during the IPL (Indian Premier League).
Rohtak, Haryana, India
Rohtak, Haryana, India
- Father – Sanjeev Verma (Goldsmith)
- Mother – Praveen Bala
- Siblings – Sahil Verma (Brother). She has a sister as well.
She is represented by Baseline Ventures, Sports Marketing, Entertainment & Brand Licensing Company, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Right-Arm Off Break
17 – Test Match, One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, neck-length, hair
- Cheerful smile
Shafali Verma Facts
- A cricket nut from childhood, Shafali had to disguise herself as a boy to train in cricket as there was no academy for girls in her hometown, Rohtak. Her father was not very happy with the plan as there was a clear danger of getting caught but he eventually relented recognizing her love for the sport and her obvious talent.
- She had once chopped her hair and disguised herself as her brother, who had fallen sick, to represent him at an Under-12 match.
- In November 2019, during a T20I match against the West Indies, she had become the youngest half-centurion for India in international cricket. The match was part of a 5-match bilateral series between the teams where Shafali had scored 158 runs overall and was named the ‘Player of the Series’.
- In January 2020, she was named in India’s squad for the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup that was to be held in Australia. Ahead of the tournament, indicating her stratospheric rise in the world of cricket, she had achieved the number one ranking among batters in women’s T20I cricket. She was a vital cog of the Indian squad in the tournament and her attacking play at the top of the order was key in India reaching the final.
- In June 2021, in her test match debut, she had scored 159 runs and was named the ‘Player of the Match’.
- In January 2022, Shafali had regained her #1 position in the ICC Women T20I Batter rankings.
- In February 2023, Shafali was sold to Delhi Capitals for INR 2 crore in the first-ever Women’s Premier League (WPL) auction held in Mumbai.
Featured Image by Shafali Verma / Instagram