|Simona Halep Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||September 27, 1991|
Simona Halep is a Romanian professional tennis player who is best known for achieving the world No. 1 ranking in singles twice between 2017 and 2019. She has competed in a variety of tournaments such as French Open, Shenzhen Open, Australian Open, Canadian Open, US Open, Wimbledon, Miami Open, Fed Cup, Cincinnati Open, Madrid Open, Western & Southern Open, and many more. She has been sponsored by several brands such as Nike, Lacoste, Wilson, Adidas, and has endorsed brands like Coca-Cola, Mercedes-Benz Romania, and Hublot. During the course of her career, Simona has been the recipient of numerous honors such as WTA‘s “Most Popular Player of the Year” and WTA‘s “Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year”.
Born Place / Residence
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Stere Halep (Former Football Player)
- Mother – Tania Halep
- Siblings – She has an older brother
Romanian Tennis Federation
Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
60 kg or 132 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Simona has dated –
- Gabriel Iuruc (2021-2022) – She got married to businessman Gabriel Iuruc on September 15, 2021. The couple got divorced in September 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Aromanian ancestry.
37-26-35 in or 94-66-89 cm
8 (US) or 40 (EU)
She was earlier 34DD. But, had to undergo breast reduction surgery to improve her tennis play and get rid of back pain.
She has previously endorsed Vodafone Romania for 3 years.
Her clothes are sponsored by Adidas,
Previously, she had made deals with Nike (for shoes), and Lacoste (for apparel).
Best Known For
Her aggressive baseline playing style of tennis.
She became the world’s #2 tennis player in 2014.
First Tennis Match
She played her first professional tennis match in 2006.
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
Simona won her singles Grand Slam titles for the first time in years –
- Australian Open – None
- French Open – 2018
- Wimbledon – 2019
- US Open – None
At a young age, she started taking tennis coaching from local (Constanța-based) tennis coach, Ioan Stan.
In January 2014, Simona was taking coaching from Belgian coach Wim Fissette. After she parted ways with him, Simona hired Romanian coach Victor Ioniță and Thomas Högstedt as coaching consultants for the first three tournaments.
Teo Cercel has served as her fitness coach.
In January 2016, she started working full-time with coach Darren Cahill.
She exercises daily for an hour and her routine includes exercises like running, body weight exercises, and resistance moves (using a resistance or exercise band). She doesn’t lift many weights as she doesn’t want to become stiff. The maximum she lifts is 2kg. She also does yoga occasionally.
Simona eats everything in moderation. When asked about her breakfast, she replied with dark bread, smoked salmon with cheese and fruit as her preferred choice.
Simona Halep Favorite Things
- Singaporean Dish – Chicken Rice
- Food – Milk chocolate, pizza
- Place – Paris
- Tournament – Roland Garros (or French Open)
Source – Shape.com.sg, Heavy
Simona Halep Facts
- Her family also owns and runs a dairy products factory.
- At 4, she started playing tennis after seeing her older brother playing the sport.
- At 6, she was practicing tennis every day.
- When she was young, Simona idolized tennis players Justine Henin and Andrei Pavel.
- To get rid of back pain and improve her tennis play, Simona underwent breast reduction surgery at the age of 17 (in the summer of 2009). She was 34DD and lowered it to 34C.
- If she weren’t a tennis star, she probably would have been a mathematician as she was good at mathematics.
- In 2013, she was WTA’s Most Improved Player.
- In July 2019, she made history by beating Serena Williams in the final of the Wimbledon 2019 as she became the first Romanian tennis player to win the Wimbledon singles title.
- She was able to win her first 6 WTA titles in the same year.
- In 2022, Simona beat Brazilian professional tennis player, Beatriz Haddad Maia by 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 to win the Canadian Open 2022 title. With this win, she re-entered the top 10 WTA rankings (by reaching #6).
- In September 2022, Simona underwent nose surgery to reshape her nose and to correct breathing problems.
- She was named an honorary citizen of Bucharest in the past.
- In the past, Simona was awarded the Order of the Star of Romania and the Patriarchal Cross of Romania.
- In October 2022, Simona tested positive for the anti-anemia drug Roxadustat at the US Open and it was later revealed that she had been provisionally suspended.