The Commando, Commando Steve
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Personal Trainer, Gym Owner
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Drew Berry (Younger Brother). In all, he has 3 younger brothers.
Steve Willis is represented by Caitlin Sullivan of the New South Wales based company One Management.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
94 kg or 207 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Steve Willis has dated –
- Froso – Steve Willis and his long-time partner Froso are parents to a girl Ella and a boy Jack. Steve’s indiscretions with Michelle Bridges in 2013 came as a shock to Froso as she claimed that they were in a good place as a family and had just purchased their dream home.
- Michelle Bridges (2013-Present) – Willis and fellow trainer Michelle Bridges met while shooting for Australia’s weight-loss reality show The Biggest Loser in 2007. Bridges was previously married to Bill Moore and her marriage crumbled due to her rising popularity. Likewise, Willis was committed to his partner Froso at the time. Both were in different relationships which were crumbling in 2013 and they found comfort in each other’s company. They were both trainers on the show and formed a friendship which gradually turned into romance. Three months after going public with his relationship with Michelle, the new couple called it quits and Steve returned to Froso and his two kids, but they rekindled their romance only after two months of separation. In July 2015, the couple announced that they were expecting their first child together and that she was 4 months along. Michelle gave birth to a boy named Axel Bridges Willis (b. December 19, 2015).
Note – Steve has another daughter named Brianna Willis from a previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tattoos on his body including an elaborate one on the right side of his body extending from the arm to his chest.
- Blue eyes
Steve has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Garmin (2015-2017)
- Sage Institute
Best Known For
Being one of the four trainers on the Australian version of the reality show The Biggest Loser from 2007-2015.
Steve is yet to make his theatrical film debut.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut in February 2007 as a trainer on the weight-loss reality show, The Biggest Loser which premiered on Ten Network.
Being a personal trainer, Steve emphasizes on the importance of being physically fit and active. His elaborate full-body workout includes warming up to prepare the body for the intense workout. He then likes to combine exercises like sit-ups, squash, push-ups, squats, and burpees, etc. over a set number of times for the desired effect.
When it comes to his diet, he keeps it clean with natural and wholesome foods that provide all the nutrition required by him.
His diet plan looks as follows –
- Breakfast – Half an avocado, sourdough toast, 2 eggs and a handful of spinach.
- Lunch – A wholegrain wrap with a salad along with ham or salmon encompasses his mid-day meal. While traveling, he opts for lots of leafy vegetables and salads.
- Dinner – Greek salad with the addition of strawberries or mangoes but chops on the BBQ.
- Snacks – He prefers munching healthy like going for macadamia nuts or fruits.
Steve Willis Favorite Things
- Local Café in Sydney – Potts Point
- Recipe / Food – Poached chicken salad, brownies
- Place – Australia
- Indulgence – Hot Chips
Source – News, The Carousel
Steve Willis Facts
- Steve attended the School of Infantry at Singleton in the Hunter Valley in Australia. He was then posted to the Commando (4th Battalion) of the Royal Australian Regiment (4RAR) at the Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney which later became known as the 2nd Commando Regiment.
- When he joined the army in 1994, Steve was in the infantry and gradually progressed to the Special Forces. He left the army life as a Counter Terrorism Team Commander in 2004 after serving in the army for a decade.
- After returning to the civilian life, he studied personal training and also worked as a laborer.
- Steve competed at the CrossFit Games in 2009, in Aromas California, and was placed 4th among the 73 male competitors. He is now a certified CrossFit trainer.
- In 2017, he was announced as the ambassador for the national fundraiser Jeans for Genes Day.
- Steve’s reputation on The Biggest Loser had been of a monosyllabic non-smiling tough guy. His signature outfit for the show was a black singlet, dark sunglasses, and combat fatigues.
- Steve has written fitness books and his published works include Commando Steve: No Excuses (2010), Get Commando Fit (2015), and Get Commando Fit Cookbook (2015).
- He appeared as a trainer on the reality show, The Biggest Loser from season 2 (2007) to season 10 (2015). He left the show with his partner Michelle Bridges after season 10 due to the new format of the show where they included morbidly obese contestants to appeal to a wider audience.
- In February 2018, he admitted on the Nova Fitzy & Wippa radio show that he once auditioned for the soap opera Home and Away, but couldn’t get through due to his dismal acting performance.
- He learned King Fu in his early 20’s and also practices meditation regularly.
- He has lost several of his army friends to suicide and admits that he has had his personal struggles with his army past and depression as well.
- Steve is affiliated with the suicide prevention charity R U OK? to promote mental health and reverse the stigma attached with depression and anxiety.
- Steve led a team of 75 men and women atop Mount Kosciuszko as a part of R U OK? – the charity’s first adventure trek. The 18 km charity walk to ascent Australia’s highest mountain took place in March 2017.
- Steve’s daughter Ella Willis followed in her father’s footsteps and became the junior ambassador of Garmin watches in 2016.
- The fitness college Sage Institute, which was heavily promoted by Steve Willis, came under fire in 2016 for having sub-standard facilities and has since gone into voluntary administration.
- Visit his official website @ commandosteve.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0