Super Junior is a South Korean boy band that was formed by producer Lee Soo-man of SM Entertainment on November 6, 2005. The band has successfully established itself in the music industry with the release of a number of albums, EPs, and tracks like Twins, Don’t Don, Mr. Simple, Mamacita, One More Time, I Think U, Dancing Out, Santa U Are the One, and Lo Siento. Moreover, Super Junior has also garnered an impressive fan base on social media with more than 8 million followers on Facebook, more than 2 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than a million followers on Twitter.
Seoul, South Korea
K-Pop, Dance-Pop, Electronic, R&B, Hip Hop
SM Entertainment, Label SJ, Avex Trax, Media Asia, UMG
First Headlining Tour
Super Junior went on its first live concert tour, Super Show, on February 22, 2008, and the tour ended on March 7, 2009.
The band released its debut studio album, Twins, on December 5, 2005, and it included songs like Twins (Knock Out), Miracle, You are the one, Over, and Keep in Touch. Also, the album was ranked at number #3 in both Gaon Music Chart as well as MIAK K-pop Monthly Chart and was placed at number #16 in the G-Music Weekly J-POP Chart.
Super Junior Facts
- The group is often described as the “King of Hallyu Wave”.
- Super Junior released its 8th studio album, Mamacita, on September 1, 2014, via SM Entertainment and it peaked the Gaon Album Chart (Domestic), Gaon Album Chart (General), and Billboard World Albums chart. Also, the album was ranked at number #3 in the Oricon Daily Album Charts (Western Albums) and at number #18 in the Metro International Chart.
- Originally, the band debuted as a 12-membered band that included Leeteuk, Heechul, Hangeng, Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook, and Kibum.
- It was in the year 2006 that Kyuhyun joined the boy band.
- Super Junior has a few sub-units like Super Junior-K.R.Y. (includes Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Yesung), Super Junior-T (includes Leeteuk, Heechul, Shindong, Sungmin, and Eunhyuk), Super Junior-M (includes Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Siwon, Zhou Mi, Donghae, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun), Super Junior-H (includes Leeteuk, Yesung, Shindong, Sungmin, and Eunhyuk), and Super Junior-D&E (includes Donghae and Eunhyuk).
Featured Image by SM Entertainment / pds13.egloos.com / CC BY-SA 4.0