|Thomas Vermaelen Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||November 14, 1985|
Thomas Vermaelen is a retired Belgian professional footballer who is best known for his career as an assistant coach for the Belgium national team. He had played for teams like Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Vissel Kobe in the past. He is known for his leadership skills, aerial ability, and his quickness with the ball at his feet. In January 2022, he announced his retirement from playing and later joined the Belgium national team as an assistant coach ahead of the 2022 FIFA World Cup. During the course of his career, Thomas had won several tournaments such as Eredivisie, FA Cup, Johan Cruyff Shield, Emperor’s Cup, Japanese Super Cup, Copa del Rey, UEFA Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup, and has been the recipient of honors like “AFC Ajax Talent of the Year” and “Best Belgian Player Abroad”.
Verminator (A nickname given by Arsenal’s fans), Tom
Professional Soccer Player
Vermaelen is signed with SEG.
6 ft or 183 cm
176 lbs or 80 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Thomas Vermaelen dated –
- Polly Parsons (2012-Present) – Vermaelen began dating English model and TV personality Polly Parsons in 2012. They got married in June 2017. Together they have two sons Ace and Raff.
Race / Ethnicity
- Gray eyes
- Long neck
- Short beard
Vermaelen has endorsed the well-known sportswear brand Nike.
Best Known For
Winning the UEFA Champions League trophy as a member of FC Barcelona in the 2014-2015 season.
Also, Vermaelen is known for winning the Spanish La Liga title in both the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons.
First Soccer Match
On February 15, 2004, Vermaelen debuted for Ajax in a 0-2 victory over FC Volendam.
He made his debut for Arsenal on August 15, 2009, in a 1-6 success over Everton at Goodison Park.
On May 23, 2015, Thomas played his first official match for FC Barcelona against Deportivo de La Coruna.
At the age of 20, Thomas made his competitive debut for his national team in a match against Luxembourg in March 2006.
- Holding on to the ball
- Aerial duels
Thomas Vermaelen Facts
- Vermaelen began his soccer career at the youth categories of Germinal Ekeren.
- In 2000, Thomas enrolled himself at Ajax’s soccer Academy from where he was later added to the senior team.
- He won the 2003-2004 Eredivisie trophy with Ajax.
- Thomas captained Ajax in the second part of the 2008-2009 season.
- On June 19, 2009, Vermaelen penned a four-year deal with English Premier League team Arsenal worth €10 million.
- He is right-footed.
- On October 18, 2011, Thomas extended his contract with Arsenal for four more years until 2015.
- In August 2012, Vermaelen was set as the new captain of Arsenal.
- On August 9, 2014, Thomas shifted to Spanish La Liga giant FC Barcelona. He agreed to a five-year deal for a price of €17 million.
- He was sent on a one-year loan period to the Italian Serie A team Roma on August 8, 2016.
- Vermaelen was a member of Belgium’s U-19 and U-21 teams.
- He represented Belgium at the 2014 World Cup.