|Ty Pennington Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 19, 1964|
Ty Pennington is an American TV host, artist, carpenter, author, and former model who is best known for his work on the TLC home improvement reality TV show Trading Spaces (2000–2003), and the ABC reality TV series Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (2003–2012). He has also authored the books Ty’s Tricks: Home Repair Secrets Plus Cheap and Easy Projects to Transform Any Room (2003); and Good Design Can Change Your Life: Beautiful Rooms, Inspiring Stories (September 2008).
Gary Tygert Burton
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
He splits his time between Los Angeles, California, United States, and New York, United States.
Ty had attended Sprayberry High School, a public school in Cobb County, Marietta, Georgia. After his high school graduation, he had joined the Kennesaw State University, a public research university in Georgia. He had majored in art and history there.
He had later taken a transfer to the Art Institute of Atlanta, a private, for-profit art school in Dunwoody, Georgia. He had graduated from there with a bachelor’s degree in graphic design.
TV Host, Artist, Carpenter, Author, Former Model
- Mother – Yvonne Burton (Psychologist)
- Siblings – Wynn Pennington (Older Brother)
Ty Pennington’s net worth had been $12 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ty has dated –
- Andrea Bock (2004)
- Kellee Merrell (2020-Present) – Ty had started dating social media manager Kellee Merrell in 2020. They got engaged in July 2021 and got married on November 27, 2021, in a ceremony in Savannah, Georgia.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American and partial Cherokee descent.
- Toned physique
- Overgrown, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a rugged beard
Ty has been featured in the print and TV commercials for –
- J.Crew Group, Inc. (Print)
- Swatch (Print)
- Sprite (Print)
- Shire US Inc. Adderall XR ADHD medication (Print)
- Diet Coke (TV)
- ‘My Circle’ plans from AllTell Wireless (TV)
- Kyocera’s IM-ready Strobe portable devices (TV)
- Levi Strauss & Co. (TV)
- Macy’s (TV)
- Bayer G (TV)
He has served as the brand ambassador for –
- Sears, Roebuck, and Co.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Guaranteed Rate Companies
Ty Pennington Facts
- Ty’s parents had parted ways when he was very young. His stepfather had then adopted him and his brother, giving them his surname Pennington. Ty’s name was thus changed from Gary Tygert Burton to Tygert Burton Pennington.
- During his childhood, he was afflicted with behavioral problems and was diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) when he was 17 years old. Years later, he would use his fame to promote the use of Vyvanse, a stimulant medication, for the treatment of adult ADHD.
- He had learned woodworking early in life and had taught himself carpentry and home improvement. While he was studying at Kennesaw State University, he used to pay his college fees by taking night classes and working during the day, first in landscaping and then in construction. Although highly skilled in carpentry, his main interest was in graphic design.
- During his final semester at the Art Institute of Atlanta, he had been spotted by a modeling scout, and he soon began a career in that field. His modeling assignments had seen him spend considerable time in Japan, Thailand, Italy, Canada, and Germany.
- His design acumen had then taken him into a career in the entertainment industry, as he become a set designer for films such as Leaving Las Vegas (1995). His professional breakthrough came when he was cast on the TLC home improvement reality TV show Trading Spaces (2000–2003).
- In May 2007, he had been arrested on DUI charges in Los Angeles. He was facing a sentence of 6 months in jail but had immediately pleaded guilty after which he was sentenced to 3 years probation.
- In 2023, Ty was hospitalized after he was unable to breathe. It was later discovered that he had an abscess in his throat, which had grown so large that it was closing off his airway. Ty later underwent surgery at St.Anthony Hospital in Lakewood.
Featured Image by Ty Pennington / Instagram