|Verdine White Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 25, 1951|
Verdine White is an American musician who is best known for his work as the bassist for the band Earth, Wind & Fire which has sold more than 90 million albums across the globe. Over the course of his career, he has won 6 Grammy Awards and was honored with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016. He was inducted into the ‘Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame’ in 2000, ‘The Vocal Group Hall Of Fame’ in 2003, the ‘Songwriters Hall Of Fame’ in 2010, and ‘The Soul Music Hall of Fame’ in 2016. In July 2020, Rolling Stone Australia magazine had ranked him number 19 on its list of ‘The 50 Greatest Bassists of All Time’. He has also been ranked number 27 by Bass Player magazine in its list of ‘The 100 Greatest Bass Players of All Time’.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
- Father – Verdine White, Sr. (Physician, Saxophone Player)
- Siblings – Frederick Eugene White (Younger Brother) (Drummer), Geraldine Holmes (Twin Sister), Monte White (Younger Brother) (Bassist, Tour Manager) (d. April 21, 2020)
- Others – Maurice White (Older Half-Brother) (Singer, Musician, Songwriter, Record Producer; Founder, Leader, Main Songwriter, and Producer of Earth, Wind & Fire) (d. February 4, 2016), Marilyn White (Half-Sister-in-Law), Kahbran White (Half-Nephew), Hemeya White (Half-Niece), Eden White (Half-Nephew), Lilly Gainen-Clark (Mother-in-Law) (Concert Pianist), Edward Evans Clark (Father-in-Law) (Dancer, Singer, Entertainer), Ilya Clark (Brother-in-Law)
R&B, Funk, Soul, Jazz Fusion
Bass Guitar, Vocals, Percussions
- Warner Records Inc.
- Columbia Records
- Reprise Records
- Rhino Entertainment Company
- Sanctuary Records Group Limited
- Legacy Recordings
Verdine White’s net worth had been $10 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Verdine has dated –
- Shelly Clark (1980-Present) – Verdine had married singer, dancer, and actress Shelly Clark on December 31, 1980. They have a son together through whom they also have a granddaughter named Naila White.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Center-parted, neck-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thin mustache
Verdine White Facts
- Influenced by jazz musicians from a very young age, Verdine had decided that he would pursue a career in music. Aged 15, he had noticed a double bass in his high school orchestra class and had started learning the instrument through private lessons from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- He soon began performing with local bands in and around Chicago. In June 1970, he had moved to Los Angeles and joined his older half-brother’s band Earth, Wind, & Fire. The group was hoping to gain the attention of music producers and record labels so that they could produce their first record.
- In 2008, he was awarded an honorary doctorate by Columbia College in Chicago. He also holds an honorary doctorate from the American Conservatory of Music.
- In 2012, he had co-authored a book titled Playing Bass Guitar, A Beginner’s Guide To The Electric Bass.
- He is the co-founder and director of the Verdine White Foundation that provides musical education to underprivileged students. He is also the founder of The Verdine White Performing Arts Center (VWPAC) that provides students with performing arts education.
Featured Image by Verdine White / Instagram