|Zaira Wasim Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||October 23, 2000|
Zaira Wasim is an Indian actress who made a strong start to her acting career with her performance in the sports drama movie, Dangal. Soon after, she further cemented her acting credentials by impressive work in Secret Superstar, which like her first movie was a tremendous commercial hit. Apart from her acting skills, she has been caught up in needless social media crossfire between Kashmiri separatist sympathizers and PDP loyalists. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 700k followers on Instagram.
Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India
Zaira Wasim went to the St. Paul’s International Academy in Sonwar Bagh, Srinagar. After completing her 10th class education, she shifted to the Jammu’s Heritage School. She decided to select humanities stream for her studies.
- Father – Zahid Wasim (Executive Manager in Srinagar)
- Mother – Zarqa Wasim (Teacher)
- Siblings – Zoraiz Wasim (Brother)
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Zaira Wasim has strived hard to keep her personal life away from the public domain after she was caught up in silly controversies early in her career. Therefore, it is difficult to say anything about her dating history and love life.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Kashmiri ancestry.
- Short height
- High cheekbones
Zaira Wasim has appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- Tata Sky
She has also used her social media activity to promote a number of products and brands such as –
- House of Shikha
- Astha Narang
- Minerali Store
- Finura By Richa
- Alpana Neeraj
- Platform 9
She hasn’t spoken about her religious views publicly.
Best Known For
- Having played the role of Young Geeta Phogat in the biographical sports movie, Dangal
- Being cast in the lead role in the musical drama movie, Secret Superstar, which was produced by her Dangal co-star Aamir Khan, who also played an important role in the movie. The movie was made on a budget of Rs. 150 million and went on to earn revenue of Rs. 9650 million.
In 2016, she made her theatrical film debut in the sports drama movie, Dangal. In recognition of her splendid performance, she was awarded National Film Award for “Best Supporting Actress” in 2017.
Zaira Wasim took special training to prepare in the best way for her role in Dangal. She took hours of daily training in Indian wrestling. She also worked regularly in the gym to build her strength and fitness. Zaira also ensured that she was having a rich and healthy diet to look the part.
Usually, she likes to work out in the gym for about 3 to 4 days a week. In the gym, she usually runs on the treadmill and gets some cardio exercises done. She also likes to squeeze in some yoga sessions in a week.
When it comes to her regular diet, she focuses on eating homemade food as it is more hygienic and healthier. To curb her hunger in between meals, she snacks on fruits, which she believes gives her great energy boost. She usually keeps her last meal of the day light with special preference given to soups.
Zaira Wasim Favorite Things
Her favorite things aren’t known.
Zaira Wasim Facts
- To bag her debut role in Dangal, she had to overcome competition from 19,000 other girls.
- Initially, her family was against her working in the Bollywood movies. However, her aunt and the school principal managed to convince them to give Zaira an opportunity to follow her passion.
- She was cast in Secret Superstar on Aamir Khan’s suggestion. The film’s director Advait Chandan had told Khan that he was looking for a teenage actress to play a role of headstrong singer.
- In 2017, she was appointed as the “Youth Ambassador” for the 11th edition of the Bengaluru Midnight Marathon.
- In November 2017, Indian President Ram Nath Kovind gave her the National Child Award for “Exceptional Achievement”.
- She managed to score 92 percent in her 10th class board examinations.
- In May 2018, she opened up about her struggle with suicidal thoughts and anxiety in a social media post. She revealed that she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 4 and a half years ago.
- In January 2018, she was caught up in a social media storm after she met then Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti. The Kashmiri people were miffed with Mufti’s handling the army and civilian relations and decided to vent their frustrations on Wasim.
- After the incident, she released an apology on the social media in form of an open letter in which she asked people not to consider her as a role model. She was again attacked for her open letter which prompted Mehbooba Mufti and former J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to come out in Zaira’s support.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / www.bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY-3.0