|Geeta Phogat Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||December 15, 1988|
Geeta Phogat is an Indian freestyle wrestler who hails from the accomplished Phogat family of wrestlers and is widely regarded as one of the pioneers in the rise to prominence of female wrestling in India. She won India’s first-ever Gold medal in women’s wrestling when she triumphed at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games. In 2012, she also became the first Indian female wrestler to qualify for the Olympic Summer Games when she won the Gold medal at the 2012 Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament in Kazakhstan. The same year, she was honored by the Government of India with the prestigious Arjuna Award.
Geeta Kumari Phogat
Balali, Charkhi Dadri, Haryana, India
She splits her time between Haryana, India and New Delhi, India.
- Father – Mahavir Singh Phogat (Former Amateur Wrestler, Wrestling Coach, Politician, Dronacharya Award Winner)
- Mother – Daya Shobha Kaur
- Siblings – Babita Kumari (Younger Sister) (Freestyle Wrestler, Arjuna Award Winner), Ritu Phogat (Younger Sister) (Freestyle Wrestler, Mixed Martial Artist), Sangita Phogat (Younger Sister) (Wrestler), Dushyant Phogat (Younger Brother) (Wrestler)
- Others – Vinesh Phogat (Younger Paternal Cousin) (Freestyle Wrestler, Arjuna Award Winner), Priyanka Phogat (Younger Paternal Cousin) (Freestyle Wrestler), Vivek Suhag (Brother-in-Law) (Wrestler), Somvir Rathee (Brother-in-Law), Rajpal Phogat (Paternal Uncle, Deceased), Man Singh (Paternal Grandfather)
She is represented by Tripti Singh, Personal and Business Manager.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Geeta has dated –
- Pawan Kumar (2016-Present) – Geeta got married to fellow Indian freestyle wrestler Pawan Kumar (aka Pawan Saroha) on November 20, 2016. The couple has a son together named Arjun Pawan Saroha (b. December 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Long, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Has her husband Pawan’s name tattooed on her left arm
Geeta Phogat Facts
- Besides winning the Gold medal at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, Geeta has also won the Gold Medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship event in 2009 in Jalandhar and 2011 in Melbourne. She had also won the Silver medal at the 2013 edition of the event in Johannesburg.
- Geeta won the Bronze medal at the 2012 World Wrestling Championships held in Alberta, Canada. She also stood 3rd at both the 2012 and 2015 editions of the Asian Wrestling Championships. In the first 2 of these 3 events, she had come into medals contention after the application of the Repechage rule.
- The 2016 Bollywood blockbuster film Dangal was based on her life and the struggles of her father who has coached all of the Phogat sisters. Real-life wrestler Pooja Dhanda who was initially selected to portray the character of Geeta’s younger sister Babita in the film, could not do so due to an untimely injury. She has, incidentally, defeated both Geeta (2018 Commonwealth Games selection trials) and Babita (final of the 2013 National Championship) in real-life wrestling championships.
- Geeta won the Silver medal at the 2013 Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament and the Bronze medal at the 2014 edition of the tournament.
- In 2017, she had participated in the 8th season of the stunt-based reality TV series Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi.
Featured Image by Geeta Phogat / Instagram