|Zarina Mehta Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Year of Birth||1961|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Zarina Mehta is an Indian entrepreneur and philanthropist who has served as the co-founder of UTV Group, CEO of Hungama TV, CEO of UTV Bindass, and the Managing Trustee of Swades Foundation (a foundation that aims at rural empowerment in India).
She was born in 1961.
Washington, D.C., United States
Breach Candy, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Zarina Mehta studied at J.B. Petit High School for Girls, a private all-girls school located in the Fort neighborhood of Mumbai, Maharashtra. After finishing her school education, she got enrolled at St. Xavier’s College (affiliated with the University of Mumbai) in Mumbai and pursued a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics.
Zarina Mehta later went on to receive a master’s degree in Marketing and Advertising from Xavier’s Institute of Communications.
- Father – Brigadier Furdoon Siavax Byramji “Duck” Mehta (1920–2021) (An officer in the Indian Army who became the first Indian aviator of the Army Aviation Corps and the first Indian commanding officer of the 9 Parachute Field Regiment)
- Mother – Villie Mehta (d. 2020) (Ran a catering business that served Parsi cuisine)
- Others – Suhail Chandhok (Son-In-Law, Trishya’s Husband) (Television Presenter, Commentator)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Zarina Mehta has dated –
- Ronnie Screwvala – She is married to entrepreneur, philanthropist, film producer, and theatre artist Ronnie Screwvala. He is the co-founder of the UTV Group (later known as Walt Disney India), founder trustee of Swades Foundation, founder of Unilazer Ventures, Board of Advisor AIESEC India, founder of RSVP Movies, and chairperson of upGrad. She has a stepdaughter named Trishya Screwvala (Ronnie’s daughter with his first wife Manjula Nanavati).
Race / Ethnicity
Zarina Mehta is of Parsi descent.
Zarina Mehta Facts
- She was 8 years old when her family shifted to India from the United States.
- Zarina’s career started with her working as a production manager for a play produced by noted theatre artist Pearl Padamsee.
- While working with Pearl Padamsee, Zarina Mehta met her future business partners Ronnie Screwvala and Deven Khote. In 1990, the trio co-founded UTV which became the first independent production house.
- Along with Ronnie Screwvala, Zarina Mehta established UTV’s Corporate Social Responsibility wing named Society to Heal, Aid, Restore, Educate (SHARE) with an aim to empower a million lives in the following 5 years across villages in the state of Maharashtra. The wing was later renamed “Swades” in 2012.
- She previously served as the Chief Creative Officer at UTV Software Communications (which she also co-founded) where she conceptualized, promoted, and managed the UTV Bindass, UTV Stars, UTV Action, and Hungama TV channels.
- Zarina Mehta enjoys reading.
- She has a labrador named Sprite.
Featured Image by Richter Frank-Jurgen / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0