|Abbi Jacobson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4.5 in|
|Date of Birth||February 1, 1984|
|Boyfriend / Girlfriend||Unknown|
Abbi Jacobson is a comedian, writer, illustrator, and actress from U.S. who is known for her web series Broad City with Ilana Glazer. The series was later broadcast on the television on Comedy Central. She has published coloring books also. She used to smoke weed a lot in her high school.
Abbi Lee Jacobson
Wayne, Pennsylvania, U.S.
- Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- New York City, U.S.
Abbi studied at Valley Forge Middle School and Conestoga High School in Wayne, Pennsylvania.
Upon her brother’s recommendation, she enrolled in Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) for a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts and studied Video Production as a minor subject.
She transferred to Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts for 1 semester because she thought she wanted to switch her major to acting. During that time, she trained in stand-up comedy with poet Jeremy Sigler.
However, she eventually decided that it would serve her better to go back to her previous undergraduate course in MICA. She graduated from there in 2006.
The same year, she moved to New York City to attend the Atlantic Acting School. She did not like it there and dropped out after a week and started working as a salesperson at Anthropologie in Rockefeller Center.
In October 2006, Abbi’s roommate recommended checking out the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre Training Centre (UCB) that taught comic improv and sketch acting, writing and directing skills.
Abbi went to watch one of the UCB shows at their theatre and realized that this was exactly what she wanted to do.
Comedian, Actress, Writer, Illustrator, Executive Producer, Voice-Over Artist
- Father – Alan Jacobson (Graphic Designer, President of Exit Design and Co-founder of J2 Design)
- Mother – Susan Mehr Komm (Artist)
- Siblings –
- Brian Jacobson (3.5 years Older Brother) (Graphic Designer, Principal Creative Director of J2 Design)
- Bailey Komm Ferazzi (Stepsister) (Works at Aeroflow Healthcare)
- Michael Komm (Stepbrother)
- Others –
- Barry Komm (Step Father) (Independent Scientific Advisor & Pharmaceutical Consultant)
- Molly Etherington Jacobson (Sister-in-Law)
- Stella & Mae Jacobson (Nieces, Brian’s Daughters)
- Jack Jacobson (Paternal Grandfather)
- Estelle Abrams (Paternal Grandmother)
- Henry Mehr (Maternal Grandfather)
- Mitzi R. Brody (Maternal Grandmother)
- Susie Fox, United Talent Agency (UTA), Beverly Hills, California
- Karl Austen (Attorney)
5 ft 4.5 in or 164 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
- Carrie Brownstein (2016) – In September / October 2016, Abbi filmed a two-episode guest role in Portlandia (aired 2017), a Portland-based sketch comedy show and befriended the executive producer and lead actress, Carrie Brownstein who is also a musician. Going by their Instagram posts, there was widespread speculation on the Internet that the two women might be dating. Neither of the two actresses confirmed or denied these rumors.
- In April 2018, Abbi shared that she had dated both men and women in the past but she never discussed her personal life before because people from the media never asked direct questions about it. The comedienne did not reveal the identity of any of her former partners.
Race / Ethnicity
Abbi has American, German, French, Russian, Lithuanian, and Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
- Deep set eyes
- Mole below right cheek
- Prominent, sharp chin
- Cast in a General Electric TV commercial (2017)
- Featured in a Google Pixel 2 commercial with Ilana Glazer (2018)
Best Known For
Starring and co-creating the Comedy Central sitcom, Broad City. Season 1 of the show gave Comedy Central its highest-rated first season since 2012. The series is adapted from Jacobson and Glazer created web series of the same name and was also tailored into a theatrical performance presented at Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre.
Abbi’s first theatrical film performance was in the character of Danielle in a science fiction film named Revelation 13 (2009).
First TV Show
Abbi’s first TV show appearance was in an episode of Vag Magazine in 2010.
The actress enjoys smoking pot and consuming it in edible form. Though the details about her diet and exercise regime are not known.
Abbi Jacobson Favorite Things
- Food – Bacon, egg, and cheese
- Goto Food When High On Weed – Cereal
- Food She Would Send Someone As A Means Of Apology – Pizza with a message on it, Chocolate
- Childhood Pop Star Crush – Will Smith
- Role Model Female Comedian – Gilda Susan Radner (Original SNL Cast member)
Source – Bon Appetit, Marie Claire, Baltimore Sun
Abbi Jacobson Facts
- Her parents got divorced when she was 13 years old.
- When Abbi was in 8th grade, she was appointed the student council president of her homeroom. She would mimic comedian Mike Myers’ SNL characters while presenting council meeting that became her thing that everybody else identified her with. This was her first taste of performing as a comedian for an audience.
- Abbi stated that her high school years were extremely enjoyable because she became a part of a band that regularly jammed together, smoked pot, wore headscarves, and corduroys.
- She does not have any tattoos on her body and does not ever intend to get any.
- Abbi used to watch The Oprah Winfrey Show every day after school with her mother and hence, she is a huge fan of Oprah. But, she is not obsessed with her as much as her Broad City character is shown to be on the show.
- She met her professional partner, Ilana Glazer in 2007 attending classes at UCB theatre. They were the only two women in an independent Improv group who were not getting any spots in the competitive in-house performances. Hence, they joined hands and created the Broad City web series.
- After 4 seasons on Comedy Central by 2017, Abbi and Ilana became a seamless team who retained their creative control by handling every aspect of their show. The two women shared that they hardly ever have any disagreements.
- Contrary to what most people think, Abbi and Ilana never smoke or consume pot while they are working together. The two women work on their show sober.
- Abbi and Ilana’s web series won a small cult fan following which included UCB co-founder, Amy Poehler who attempted to bring Broad City to mainstream television audience through FX network.
- However, FX did not approve of the Broad City script. Abbi and Ilana were told that men in the 18-34 demographic won’t watch their show. The two women convinced representatives from Comedy Central to purchase their script from FX. By season 2 of Broad City, the show had an average of 1.2 million viewers, 60 percent of whom were men.
- Percussionist Questlove who performs at Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was an early fan of the Broad City web series. He was annoyed when everybody else started watching the show because he treated the show as a private guilty pleasure.
- In 2017, Abbi organized a comedy festival on a plane in partnership with Virgin Atlantic which was called #Livefromvirgin.
- She published two coloring books in 2013 called Color This Book: New York City and Color This Book: San Francisco with Chronicle Books.
- Abbi published an illustrative humorous comic called Carry this Book (October 2016) through Viking Press. It was a New York Times Best Seller which describes the objects carried by famous people in their bag.
- To find out more about the comedienne and illustrator, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Dominick D / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0