|Abhishek Sharma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 4, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Abhishek Sharma is an Indian professional cricketer who was a part of the Indian squad that won the 2018 edition of the ICC (International Cricket Council) Under-19 Cricket World Cup. It was the country’s 4th such title, making it the most successful team in the competition’s history – Australia and India were tied at 3 titles each before this tournament. Abhishek played all 6 of India’s matches in this tournament, picking up 6 wickets in 5 innings and scoring 78 runs in 3 innings. His most telling contribution came in India’s quarter-final match against Bangladesh – he first scored 50 runs off 49 balls to help India reach a solid total of 265 runs and then bowled a tight spell (2/11 in 5 overs) to help India bundle out Bangladesh for just 134 runs. In the Indian domestic circuit, he has turned out for his home state of Punjab (2016-17-Present) across all formats. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), Abhishek has represented the Delhi Daredevils (2018) and the Sunrisers Hyderabad (2019-Present).
Amritsar, Punjab, India
- Father – Raj Kumar Sharma (Banking Executive, Former Cricketer)
- Mother – Manju Sharma
- Siblings – Sania Sharma (Older Sister), Komal Sharma (Older Sister)
He has been represented by Flair Media Group, Athlete & Artist Management Agency, Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
Slow Left-Arm Orthodox
- 4 – Delhi Daredevils (IPL)
- 18, 4 – Sunrisers Hyderabad (IPL)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, side-cropped, spiked hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Charming smile
He has been sponsored by Sareen Sports (SS) Industries, a sporting goods manufacturing company based in Uttar Pradesh, India.
Abhishek Sharma Facts
- Abhishek first came into the limelight when he scored a century on his under-19 debut for Punjab in the Vinoo Mankad Trophy (the premier limited-overs domestic competition for men’s under-19 cricket in India).
- He captained India to victory in the 2016 edition of the ACC (Asian Cricket Council) Under-19 Asia Cup. It was the 5th edition of the tournament and India’s 5th title. Abhishek was one of the stars of the tournament – finishing as the 6th highest run-getter overall (154 runs in 5 innings) as well as the 6th highest wicket-taker overall (8 wickets in 5 innings).
- He also won the ‘Player of the Match’ award in the final of the tournament – against hosts Sri Lanka. He had contributed 29 runs in India’s excellent total of 273 runs and then produced match-best bowling figures (4/37) to restrict the Sri Lankan team to 239 runs.
- In January 2018, Abhishek was acquired by the Delhi Daredevils for the upcoming season of the IPL (Indian Premier League) for INR 55 lakhs. He made his debut in the T20 format directly in the IPL – in May 2018. In that match, he smashed an unbeaten 46 runs not out off just 19 balls to turbocharge the Delhi Daredevils to a commanding total of 181 runs.
- Despite his heroics, the Royal Challengers Bangalore won that match by 5 wickets to hand the Delhi Daredevils their 9th defeat in 12 matches that season – eliminating the Delhi Daredevils from the race for a berth in the playoff stage of the competition.
- In November 2018, Abhishek was transferred to the Sunrisers Hyderabad but did not get much playing time in the 2019 edition of the IPL. He then produced below-average performances in both the 2020 and 2021 IPL seasons for the Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- In February 2021, representing Punjab, in a match against Madhya Pradesh, he scored what was the then-fastest hundred (42 balls) by an Indian cricketer in a List-A match.
- Despite his poor track record in the IPL, the majority of it with the Sunrisers Hyderabad, the franchise acquired Abhishek at the IPL mega auction in February 2022 – for a hefty price of INR 650 lakhs (32.5 times his base price). He repaid the franchise’s faith in full by finishing the 2022 IPL season with a team-best 426 runs (14 innings).
Featured Image by Abhishek Sharma / Instagram