|Sarah Chalke Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7¼ in|
|Date of Birth||August 27, 1976|
Sarah Chalke is a Canadian-American actress. She is known to many people for her role as Dr. Elliot Reid on the comedy series Scrubs, for playing Rebecca on the sitcom Roseanne, for appearing on How I Met Your Mother and many others. She lost her grandmother to breast cancer which was not detected on time. Hence, she encourages the prevention of breast cancer.
Sarah Louise Christine Chalke
Sarah Cassandra Chalke, Chalky, Second Becky (Her character on Roseanne)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles, California, United States
Sarah attended the Handsworth Secondary School in North Vancouver, Canada and graduated in 1994.
She has attended a German school and also another one where all the classes were in French.
- Father – Douglas Chalke (Lawyer and Mediator)
- Mother – Angela Chalke (Mediator)
- Siblings – Natasha Chalke (Older Sister), Piper Chalke (Younger Sister)
Sarah is represented by –
- The United Talent Agency
- John Carrabino Management situated in California.
All of her musical contributions have been for the musical series Scrubs. The soundtrack for the show has been released by Hollywood Records.
5 ft 7¼ in or 171 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sarah Chalke has dated –
- Devon Sawa (1995-1996) – Sarah and Canadian actor Devon Sawa dated in 1995 when they were both teenagers. But soon enough in 1996, they went their separate ways.
- Will Forte (2000) – Sarah was said to be in a relationship with American actor Will Forte in January 2000. However, reports claimed that their relationship was short-lived as they broke up in October 2000.
- Zach Braff (2001-2003) – The pair worked together in Scrubs for 9 seasons from 2001 to 2010. Sarah and fellow actor Zach Braff who played the on-again, off-again couple on Scrubs, dated in real life from May 2001 to 2003.
- Jamie Afifi (2003-2022) – Sarah began dating entertainment lawyer and fellow Canadian James Afifi in 2003. They dated for 3 years before getting engaged in December 2006 during a trip to Hawaii. She gave birth to their first child at 33, a son named Charlie Rhodes Afifi (b. December 24, 2009). Their son was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, which is the #1 cause of congenital heart disease, at the age of 2. The couple welcomed their second child, a daughter named Frances Afifi on April 28, 2016. In September 2022, it was revealed that Sarah and Jamie had separated and had decided to end their engagement.
Race / Ethnicity
- Blue eyes
- Box-heart shaped face
- Big eyes
Sarah has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Hanes underwear (2008)
- America’s Milk Processors (Print ad) (2002)
- Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottle
Best Known For
Playing memorable roles like Dr. Elliot Reed in Scrubs (2001-2010), the second Rebecca ‘Becky’ Conner and Andrea on the family sitcom Roseanne (1993-1997), and Stella Zinman on How I Met Your Mother (2008-2009 and 2014).
As a Singer
Sarah sang her first song titled ‘Poison’ in the My Kingdom episode of the comedy show Scrubs. However, she was not given credit for her performance.
Her first credited role as a singer came in 2004 when she performed the song “That’s The Way (I Like It)” for the “My Porcelain God” episode of Scrubs.
Sarah made her theatrical film debut in the action thriller film Y2K as Myra Soljev. The film was released in Kuwait on January 26, 2000. Otherwise, it had a direct-to-video premiere in 1999 in the United Kingdom and in 2001, in the United States.
First TV Show
She made her first appearance on a TV show in 1989 at the age of 12 on the Canadian show Kidzone (also known as Kerrisdale High). She started out on the program by playing an environmental reporter.
Sarah was actively involved in sports while growing up, trying for volleyball and basketball sports teams. She has also competed in several race-walking competitions which she herself has described as being physically demanding.
For many years, she has been a follower of the Xflowsion workout method which combines yoga, martial arts, and dance into an hour and 15 minutes workout. She has also mentioned about her aversion to hitting the gym as doing the same exercise day in and day out is not her cup of tea.
The extremely lithe actress credits the workout with building her core strength and boosting her energy levels. By performing exercises like the dancing chair, sidestep kicks, warrior twists, and modified alligator push-ups, Sarah manages to achieve a total-body workout in the least amount of time. She also loves hiking with her dog Lola and working on the treadmill when she is hard-pressed for time.
Sarah turned vegetarian overnight after reading the book Diet For A New America at the age of 12. As a result, the lack of proteins, which she obtained from the meat, stunted her growth as a teenager until she began consuming fish, chicken, and red meat in moderation again.
Following that period, she began eating a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies while also making room for decadent desserts like dark chocolates.
Sarah Chalke Favorite Things
- Gadget – iPod
- Musician – Joshua Radin
- Workout Routine – Xflowsion (A combination of martial arts, yoga, and power dance)
- Meal – Barbecued salmon with a big mixed green salad
- Dessert – Pumpkin pie
- Moisturiser – Crème de la Mer
- Comedy Film – The Jerk (1979)
- TV Show – 30 Rock
- Characters On 30 Rock – Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin)
- Workout – Yoga
- Tea – Chamomile Tea
- Tea Brand – Tazo Calm
- Indulgence – Dark chocolate (Scharffen Berger 70% bar, NewTree 73% bar)
- Place In The World – France, Her sister’s kitchen
- Meal Of The Day – Breakfast
- Way To Relax – Hot bath, drinking red wine, hiking, getting massages, reading a book, having dark chocolates
- Form Of Exercise – Hiking, skiing
- Beauty Product – Great Lash Mascara by Maybelline, Dior Diorshow Mascara
- App – Spotify
- Kids Store – Peek (for clothes), Monroe Workshop Toys
Source – YouTube, FitnessMagazine.com, Health.com, MyDomaine.com, Big City Moms
Sarah Chalke Facts
- She has two dogs named Harley and Tankers. Additionally, she also owns a brown Labrador named Lola, which her Scrubs cast members got from a charity auction and gifted her.
- As her mother is from Germany, Sarah used to attend a German school in her hometown twice a week. Therefore, she is fluent in German. She also speaks French fairly well.
- Sarah lost her aunt and grandmother to breast cancer, which was not identified in its early stages. In an effort to encourage the detection and prevention of breast cancer among women, she starred in the 2006 movie “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy”.
- She took over the role of Rebecca Conner-Healy on Roseanne in 1993 after the original actress Alicia ‘Lecy’ Goranson left the show to pursue her college education. As Alicia returned to the show and departed for the second time, the unusual role-sharing between the two actors became a running joke on the show.
- Sarah spends her free time volunteering at a hospice for terminally ill children. She also works for the Audrey Hepburn Children’s Fund.
- Her parents run a child adoption agency and once Sarah accompanied her parents to China to oversee the adoption of several orphans there.
- She played the cello for 7 years while growing up.
- One of her weird talents includes being able to write with her toes.
- Until the age of 16, she worked as a part-time ski instructor. This was her first job.
- In 2009, she became the ambassador for the Susan G. Komen Passionately Pink for the Cure program which is one of the largest breast cancer organizations in the United States.
- She has done hang gliding in the past.
- If she wasn’t an actress, she would have been a barista.
- She was in a choir but was removed when she was in 5th grade.
- When she was a child, she wanted to have a retainer for her teeth because many cool kids had that. So, she used a paper clip for that.
- Sarah had a chocolate Labrador dog named Lola. It was gifted to her by the Scrubs cast in season 1.
- On the Scrubs set, she was nicknamed Second Becky because she had played the role of Becky Conner on the ABC sitcom Roseanne.
- She has taken interpretive dance classes for 11 years in which the teacher played the drums and spoke the color and students were required to dance according to the color.
- During her pregnancy, she had food cravings like hot chocolate, quesadillas, and salt and vinegar kettle chips.
- She learned to drive in a big 12-seater car which was her family car.
- Growing up, she was not athletic and used to take part in racewalking event instead of track and field events.
- Sarah has a lot of ’80s clothes, wigs, and costumes with her at her home.
- In 1994, she got her belly button pierced in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.
- Her middle name ‘Louise’ is because of her aunt.
- She is afraid of sharks.
- Sarah’s first car was a red-colored 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser with a white roof.
- She loves theme parties.
Featured Image by Photo Larry / Flickr / CC BY 3.0