Adam, Ears 2 (the name his fellow colleagues gave him when he was in the Marine Corps)
San Diego, California, United States
Brooklyn Heights, New York City, U.S.
Adam graduated from the local Mishawaka High School in 2001.
His mother raised him with Midwest Bible School values and it further reinforced through Adam’s participation in the Church choir.
Later, his application to Juilliard got rejected giving a blow to his self-esteem.
After serving in the U.S. Marine Corps, Adam’s mind was set to make it as an actor. He enrolled at the University of Indianapolis for 1 year and moved to New York in 2005 after he was accepted to study drama at Juilliard School.
He acquired a Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts in 2009 and supported himself financially throughout the college and right after by working as a busboy and a waiter until he landed his first acting assignment.
- Father – Joe Douglas Driver (Works at an Office Depot)
- Mother – Nancy Wright née Needham (Paralegal at Hains Law Firm)
- Siblings – Adam has 1 older sister.
- Others – Rodney G. Wright (Minister at a Baptist Church)
The Gersh Agency, Beverly Hills, California and NYC.
6 ft 2.5 in or 189 cm
88 kg or 194 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
- Joanne Tucker (2005–Present) – Adam met Joanne at Juilliard. The two of them were in the same batch called Juilliard drama group 38. The couple dated for years and forged a solid bond before Adam ever got to see fame. They moved in together and eventually got married in a secret destination wedding in June 2013. Joanne gifted Adam a Rottweiler-Pit bull mix dog named Moose on Halloween after marriage and the actor is deeply attached to it. There is a very high possibility that Adam and Joanne had their first child together in 2016 or 2017 but the couple has been keeping that child a secret from the media. Adam accidentally let that information out during an interview and his Logan (2017) co-star Channing Tatum gave that fact away in another interview.
Race / Ethnicity
Adam’s father comes from English, German, Scottish, Irish, Northern Irish, distant Welsh, and remote Swedish ancestry.
His mother is one-fourth Dutch and has English, German and Irish lineage.
- Large head and big ears that stick out to the side
- Unconventional facial features
- Towering physical frame
The most high profile brand commercials that signed Adam for their advertisement are –
- Budweiser (2017)
- Snickers released the first-ever live Super Bowl commercial starring Driver during Super Bowl LI (2017)
In July 2021, he was featured in Burberry‘s campaign for the “Burberry Hero” fragrance.
In 2023, Adam appeared in Squarespace‘s Super Bowl commercial.
He was raised with devout Christian values. Adam stated that he stopped pursuing his family’s faith after reaching adulthood.
Best Known For
- Playing his breakthrough role of Adam Sackler in the HBO comedy-drama Girls (2012-2017).
- Earned global fame for playing the main antagonist Kylo Ren in the Star Wars sequel trilogy namely,
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)
Adam had a minor supporting character role of Walter Lyle in Clint Eastwood directed J. Edgar (2011).
First TV Show
Adam was cast as Zed in the HBO pilot The Wonderful Maladys in 2010. The network did not pick it up for a full series.
- As a former marine, Adam had a solid foundation in fitness.
- While studying at Juilliard, Adam used to start his day by consuming 6 eggs and then, ran all the way to his drama school which was a part of his everyday workout. Later in the evening, he would often cook and eat a complete chicken.
- Hence, it is more due to the habit that Adam claims he needs to move violently once every day to maintain his sanity.
- The years 2016 to 2017 were particularly challenging for the actor to transform his body to extreme proportions.
- For Martin Scorsese’s Silence (2016), Adam lost a whopping 50 lbs of weight through an extreme starvation diet. He lost 30 lbs before filming and continued to lose another 20 lbs while shooting was on to depict his survival in a land infested with disease and shortage of food.
- He primarily nibbled on controlled portions of salad and consumed weight loss generating water pills / diuretics.
- The actor confessed that diuretics kept him awake at night. While filming, he barely had the energy to speak up and express his lines.
- The process was difficult for the actor since he boasts of a large appetite and has confessed to frequently eating two dinners in a single evening.
- Once filming was over, Adam eagerly reached out for a spoonful of peanut butter that much to his relief magically switched on his foggy brain and restored its ability to think.
- He bulked up the conventional way the following year for Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) by consuming a high protein diet meant to fuel an intense weight training program.
- The actor has a standard breakfast that he has been eating for many years. It comprises of 6 eggs with 1 yolk and two pieces of smoked turkey with coffee and a couple bowls of cereal.
Adam Driver Favorite Things
- Filmmakers – The Coen Brothers (Joel David Coen, Ethan Jesse Coen)
Source – Telegraph
Adam Driver Facts
- Adam’s parents got divorced when he was 7 years old. Thereafter, he was raised in his mother’s hometown of Mishawaka, Indiana.
- After finishing high school, he briefly took up several simultaneous jobs juggling between working as a door-to-door salesman selling Kirby vacuum cleaners, telemarketer for a basement waterproofing company in the morning and for Ben Franklin Construction at night. He worked all 3 jobs at minimum wage for 6 months.
- After the 9/11 catastrophe, Adam joined the United States Marine Corps out of a sense of duty.
- He served for 2 years and 8 months without getting a chance for field service. He was medically discharged after breaking his sternum while mountain biking which was right before his unit was sent on its first deployment to Iraq.
- He was a notorious student in school who was not very good in studies and sports. Known more as a class clown, he shined only in his school’s theatre productions.
- As a rebellious teenager, Adam liked climbing radio towers and setting things on fire. Inspired by Brad Pitt starrer Fight Club (1999), he found a fight club of his own in high school.
- While still a senior in high school, Adam applied only to Juilliard when he found out it was the best school to study acting. When he was turned down, he had nowhere else to go for college education.
- Adam cracked his second Juilliard audition with a dramatic representation of Gloucester’s “Now is the winter of our discontent” speech from Richard III by Shakespeare.
- While studying in Juilliard, the actor was aggressive and intensely committed to his craft. He often made his classmates cry during rehearsals when he doubted their dedication.
- He joined the Marine Corps with the intention to seek revenge and retribution for the 9/11 tragedy.
- Adam is not close to his parents and does not like discussing his relationship with them. He simply states that he is different from both of them and it is difficult for him to stay in touch.
- With the assistance of his wife, Adam founded a non-profit organization called Arts in the Armed Forces (AIAF) which stages the performances for military personnel.
- Adam likes to sing and play musical instruments but added he has not mastered any of those skills to call himself a musician.
- He would like a professional career like that of yesteryear Greek American filmmaker John Cassavetes.
- Adam is extremely uncomfortable with the loss of anonymity that comes with fame. The actor says that it makes him lose the privilege to be a silent observer that aids him in doing his best work.
- The actor does not like watching his own work, be it movies or TV shows, and neither does he like listening to his audio clips recorded during a radio interview. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) was his only movie that he saw in the theatre and it made him so sick in the stomach that he nearly threw up!
- Adam claims he is afraid of the Internet and does not relate to sharing information online. Hence, neither he nor his wife, Joanne have any social media presence.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0