|Adar Poonawalla Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 14, 1981|
Adar Poonawalla is an Indian businessperson who has served as the chief executive officer (CEO) of the Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer by the number of doses produced. Founded by his father Cyrus Poonawalla in 1966, the vaccines manufactured by the Serum Institute of India have been used in many international vaccination programs run by the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). Moreover, Adar Poonawalla was appointed as the chairperson of Magma Fincorp, after acquiring a 66% stake in the financial services company, on May 31, 2021. He was also included in Time 100, Time‘s annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world, in 2021.
Adar Poonawalla studied at The Bishop’s School located in Pune as well as attended St Edmund’s School Canterbury located in Canterbury, Kent, England. Then, he got enrolled at the University of Westminster.
Businessperson, CEO of the Serum Institute of India, Chairperson of Magma Fincorp
- Father – Cyrus S. Poonawalla (Billionaire Businessperson, Chairperson and Managing Director of the Cyrus Poonawalla Group, Philanthropist)
- Mother – Villoo Poonawalla (Sportsperson, Social Worker)
- Siblings – He is an only child.
- Others – Soli Poonawala (Paternal Grandfather) (Horse Breeder, Founder of Poonawalla Stud Farm), Gool Poonawalla (Paternal Grandmother), Zavaray Poonawalla (Paternal Uncle), Pramesh Aurora (Father-In-Law), Minnie Aurora (Mother-In-Law)
Adar Poonawalla has been represented by Cyrus Poonawalla Group (Company).
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Adar Poonawalla has dated –
- Natasha Poonawalla (2006-Present) – After meeting at a new year’s party in Goa hosted by Vijay Mallya, Adar Poonawalla got married to a businessperson and socialite named Natasha Poonawalla in the year 2006. They have been blessed with 2 sons – Cyrus Poonawalla (b. 2009) and Darius Poonawalla (b. 2015).
Race / Ethnicity
Adar Poonawalla is of Parsi descent.
Adar Poonawalla Facts
- After graduating from university, he joined the Serum Institute of India in 2001.
- He has been a board member of the GAVI Alliance, the global vaccine alliance.
- In 2017, Adar Poonawalla was honored as “Indian of the Year” in CSR Business Category on CNN-News18 as well as received the Humanitarian Endeavour Award In Hall of Fame Awards 2017.
- He was included in a Fortune magazine’s ’40 Under 40′ list in the healthcare category in 2020.
- The Serum Institute of India (SII) announced in 2020 that it would donate $66 million to the University of Oxford to fund the creation of the Poonawalla Vaccines Research Building.
- Adar Poonawalla revealed in an interview with The Times in 2020 that he was receiving threats demanding COVID-19 vaccines and has therefore left India for London. Subsequently, he was provided with ‘Y’ category security by the Indian government.
Featured Image by TheAsianAwards / YouTube / CC BY 3.0