|Vijay Mallya Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 18, 1955|
Vijay Mallya is an Indian businessman and former politician who was once reputed for his business ventures that included the Royal Challengers Bangalore (Cricket team), Force India (F1 team), Kingfisher Airlines, Kingfisher Calendar, Cine Blitz Magazine, etc.
Vijay Vittal Mallya
The King of Good Times
Mangaluru, Karnataka, India
London, England, United Kingdom
Vijay studied at La Martinière Calcutta, an elite private school until 1972.
He graduated from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata in 1976 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree (with honours).
Businessman, Former Politician
- Father – Vittal Mallya (Businessman)
- Mother – Lalitha Mallya
Mallya’s net worth was $1.2 billion according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vijay has dated –
- Sameera Sharma (1986-1987) – The larger-than-life business tycoon was married to Sameera Sharma from 1986 to 1987. Sameera worked as an air hostess with Air India. Their marriage produced a son named Siddharth Mallya (b. May 7, 1987).
- Rekha Mallya – Vijay married his childhood friend Rekha in June 1993. They have 2 daughters together named Leanna Mallya and Tanya Mallya. He legally adopted Rekha’s daughter Leila from her previous marriage.
- Pinky Lalwani – In 2018, he was reported to tie the knot for the 3rd time with his live-in girlfriend, Pinky Lalwani.
Race / Ethnicity
His hair has turned mostly ‘Gray’ due to his advancing age.
Vijay Mallya Facts
- He was formerly referred to as the Richard Branson of India.
- The crown jewel of his business empire Kingfisher Airlines went bankrupt in 2016 after less than 15 years of operation.
- Contrary to his flamboyant image, Mallya is extremely devout. He is a follower of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and his Art of Living Foundation.
- In 2016, Mallya fled to London after defaulting on debts of over US$1.2 billion (or ₹90 billion or ₹9,000 crore) from a total of 17 Indian banks.
- His net worth was estimated at ₹7,500 crores in August 2017 by a Swiss bank.
- As per CBI, in March 2023, it was revealed that Mallya bought properties worth ₹330 crores in France and the UK during 2015-2016 before he flew to the UK. At the same time, his Kingfisher Airlines was facing a shortage of cash and he defaulted on bank loans.
- He had sold his liquor business (United Spirits Limited) to Diageo Plc in 2016 and received $40 million upfront from them with the agreement that he won’t start selling liquor again in Asian markets. He further received $7 million annually from Diageo from 2017 to 2021.
Featured Image by Dana Smillie / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0