|Alfonso Cuarón Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||November 28, 1961|
Alfonso Cuarón is a talented director, screenwriter, producer, and editor. He is also a recipient of the Academy Award for Best Director and Best Film Editing, the Golden Globe Award for Best Director, the BAFTA Award for Best Direction and the Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing – Feature Film for the film, Gravity, in 2014. His other notable works include Sólo con Tu Pareja, A Little Princess, Great Expectations, Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men, and Roma.
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco
Mexico City, Mexico
He divides his time between –
- Mexico City, Mexico
- London, England, United Kingdom
Alfonso Cuarón attended the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and studied Philosophy. He also studied Filmmaking at Centro Universitario de Estudios Cinematográficos (CUEC).
Director, Screenwriter, Producer, Editor
- Father – Alfredo Cuarón (Nuclear Physicist who had worked at the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency)
- Siblings – Carlos Cuarón (Brother) (Filmmaker), Alfredo Cuarón (Brother) (Conservation Biologist)
Alfonso Cuarón is managed by Anonymous Content, Talent Management Company, Culver City, California, United States.
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alfonso Cuarón has dated –
- Mariana Elizondo – In 1980, Alfonso married Mariana Elizondo. The couple met in the early ’80s through a mutual friend, Aurelio Asiaín. They have a son named Jonás Cuarón (born 1981), who is also a director, writer, and producer by profession. However, the couple got divorced in 1993.
- Claudia Ramírez (1989-1993) – From 1989 to 1993, Alfonso was linked to model and actress, Claudia Ramírez.
- Annalisa Bugliani (2001–2008) – In 2001, Alfonso married Italian critic Annalisa Bugliani. They lived in New York City. However, the two separated in 2008 after 7 years of marriage. They have 2 children together – daughter Tess Bu Cuarón (born 2002) and son Olmo Teodoro Cuarón (born 2005).
- Sheherazade Goldsmith (2014–2018) – In 2014, Alfonso began a relationship with the co-founder of the jewelry brand Loquet London, Sheherazade Goldsmith. They have supported each other’s profession in the past and have collaborated in a few ventures.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt & Pepper
- Short rugged beard
- Long dipping chin
Best Known For
- Directing numerous popular films including A Little Princess (1995), Great Expectations (1998), Y Tu Mamá También (2001), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Children of Men (2006), Gravity (2013), and Roma (2018)
- His film Gravity (2013) which he co-wrote, produced, directed, and edited. In 2014, Alfonso won numerous awards including the Academy Award for Best Director and Best Film Editing, the Golden Globe Award for Best Director, and the BAFTA Award for Best Direction for Gravity.
In 1998, he made his feature film debut as B.J. Copp Director in the romantic comedy film, Hairshirt.
In 2008, he made his theatrical film debut as a voice actor in the action-adventure thriller film, Quantum of Solace, by providing additional voices.
First TV Show
In 2004, he made his first TV show appearance in the short documentary series, HBO First Look.
Alfonso Cuarón Facts
- Growing up, he watched a lot of TV series and movies.
- One of his first great watch as a child was an Italian film, The Bicycle Thief (1948).
- Growing up, he wanted to be an astronaut.
- He was expelled from Mexico University because of his arrogance and for the way he analyzed movies.
- In his initial days, he began by working as a technician in a television company in Mexico.
- He has also worked as boom mic handler, location scout, camera assistant, and assistant director.
- Alfonso is a vegetarian.
- In 2014, he became the first Mexican born director to win an Academy Award for Best Director.
- Emmanuel Lubezki frequently works as his director of photography.
- His signature trait as a director is the use of wide camera angles and hand-held cameras.
- He had neither read nor seen the first 2 parts of the Harry Potter series when he was offered to direct the third segment of Harry Potter.
- A few of his good director friends are Guillermo del Toro, Mira Nair, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Terry George, and Terry Gilliam.
- Actor and director, Dean Paraskevopoulos, consider him to be his mentor.
- He is a big fan of filmmaker Tim Burton’s work.
- In 2008, he acted as one of the jury members at the Cannes Film Festival.
- In the April 2014 issue of Time magazine, he was voted as “One of the 100 Most Influential People”.
- According to IMDb, Alfonso is one of the few directors whose films have received all 5 modern MPAA ratings.
- As a producer, he has worked on films like Crónicas (2004), The Assassination of Richard Nixon (2004), Pan’s Labyrinth (2006), Year of the Nail (2007), Rudo y Cursi (2008), and Desierto (2015).
- As a writer, he has worked on Roma (2018), Gravity (2013), Children of Men (2006), Y Tu Mamá También (2001), Sistole Diastole (1991), Sólo con Tu Pareja (1991), Vengeance Is Mine ( 1983), and Who’s He Anyway ( 1983), among others.
Featured Image by GabboT / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0