|Amber Portwood Quick Info
|5 ft 4 in
|Date of Birth
|May 14, 1990
Amber Portwood is an American reality television personality, entrepreneur, real estate investor who is best known for being cast in the reality television series 16 and Pregnant in 2009. She is also a convicted criminal who has been imprisoned for crimes like domestic violence and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. Amber has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows such as Teen Mom and Teen Mom OG.
Amber Leann Portwood
Anderson, Indiana, United States
Anderson, Indiana, United States
Amber dropped out of school when she found out she was pregnant. She was a high school senior at that time. She studied for her GED and acquired her high school equivalency diploma while serving time in prison for drug possession.
In 2015, she enrolled in a college program to major in Behavioral Science which comprised of mostly online courses in Sociology and Psychology. Her intention behind this course was to gain the competence to run a rehabilitation program of her own.
Reality TV personality, Entrepreneur, Real Estate Investor
- Father – Shawn Edwin Portwood Sr. (Expired in 2014)
- Mother – Tonya Leanne Portwood
- Siblings – Shawn Portwood Jr (Older Brother) (Former Infantryman in the US Military, Professional Babysitter), Candace Portman (Younger Sister) (Died due to SIDS)
- Others – Eli Portwood (Nephew), Frank Edwin (Paternal Grandfather), Harlean Portwood née Hutchinson (Paternal Grandmother)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Amber Portwood has dated –
- Gary Shirley (2007–2012) – Amber first met Gary in her school library. He studied in a senior class and was her brother’s friend. Her unexpected pregnancy at the age of 17 and the troubled life that followed was documented on an MTV reality show. The unexpected onset of fame that blew into a major TV show won Gary the attention of several women and he eventually gave in to the temptation of cheating on Amber. Amber gave birth to Gary’s daughter Leah Leann Shirley in November 2008. During the filming of the show, MTV camera crew recorded footage of Amber slapping and choking Gary in a fit of anger that led to charges of domestic violence against her. Gary dropped the restraining order against Amber in 2011 to give their relationship another try but things did not work out between the two due to Amber’s drug addiction and fits of depression and they separated in 2012.
- Clinton Yunker (2010) – During a brief period of the bitter split from Gary, Amber dated Clinton, an MMA fighter from her hometown, Anderson for a little while.
- Jessie Stone (2011) – Amber dated a local man she met at a redneck pub in Anderson for a month but did not get along with him due to his flirtatious nature with other women.
- Matt Baier (2013–2016) – The Boston native was introduced as Amber’s new boyfriend in Teen Mom Season 5 renamed as Teen Mom OG (Original Girls). The couple first met each other on Twitter. They got engaged in 2015 and were due to get married in mid-2016. Amber called off their wedding when she found out that Matt had a shady past.
- Andrew Glennon (2017–2019) – Amber first met cinematographer, Andrew Glennon on the sets of Marriage Boot Camp in mid-2017, where Andrew was a part of the camera crew. She befriended Andrew and invited him to visit her in her hometown after shooting of the show was over. Sure enough, Andrew paid her a visit in August 2017. In November 2017, Amber found herself unexpectedly pregnant for the 2nd time. She released a statement declaring that she was expecting a baby boy with Andrew Glennon and was happy with the surprise occurrence. The couple welcomed a son named James Andrew Glennon on May 8, 2018. In 2019, it was revealed that Amber and Andrew had separated and in July 2022, it was announced that Amber had lost the custody of her son.
Race / Ethnicity
Her father possibly had the Hispanic lineage.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She often tends to dye her hair ‘blonde’, ‘pink’, and ‘purple’.
In October 2021, during an episode of Teen Mom OG, Amber came out as bisexual.
- Broad, round face
- Small, deep-set icy blue eyes
- Frequently promotes FabFitFun hampers on social media.
- Advertises and markets her own online brand called Forever Haute boutique and makeup on social media.
Best Known For
Being a regular cast member of Teen Mom.
First TV Show
In 2009, she made her television show debut on the reality show 16 and Pregnant.
- Post-childbirth, Amber’s heaviest bodyweight was 72.5 kg (160 lbs). In the summer of 2015, she managed to lose 30-36 lbs of weight by cutting out sugars and simple carbs such as pasta. At her leanest, she weighed 59 kg or 130 lbs. In the same year, Amber purchased an Elliptical to stay active.
- In 2016, Amber started feeling depressed and lethargic again for inexplicable reasons. Apart from anxiety and bipolar disorder, she was additionally diagnosed with Borderline Personality disorder. The medication for these conditions gave her unbearable food cravings and she gained most of her lost weight back again.
- After few months of self-indulgence, Amber realized that the ‘no sugar-no carb’ diet was not proving to be sustainable.
- She visits a gym at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes of cardio.
- In diet, her focus is to include more healthy and fresh foods while consuming controlled portions of high-calorie foods. She started MMA training to feel stronger and is particularly fascinated by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Amber Portwood’s Favorite Things
- Hobby – Kickboxing
- Waterpark – Wilderness at the Smokies
- Indulgent Foods – Mac and Cheese
Amber Portwood Facts
- She owns many pets, both cats as well as dogs.
- When Amber found out she was pregnant, she was working at Wendy’s hoping to get promoted to a management position.
- Amber told Dr. Phil during a TV interview that before her prison sentence, she was high during the filming of all the episodes of 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom.
- Amber went to prison in March 2012 and served 17 months of a 5-year sentence. Amber was let out early for good behavior.
- Since the revival of the reality show in 2015, Amber has successfully maintained her sobriety.
- In 2011, Amber turned down an offer by Vivid Entertainment to star in an X-rated film for $500,000.
- As a responsible mother, she already has a college fund set aside for her daughter Leah.
- She published a book on her life named Never Too Late (2014) in collaboration with writer/editor, Beth Roeser.
- She has a massive tattoo of her daughter’s face on the side of her midriff alongside a purple rose.
- In July 2019, Amber was arrested in Indianapolis and was later charged with one count of criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and two counts of domestic battery after she reportedly struck Andrew Glennon in the neck and also used a machete to break into the room where Glennon was hiding with their son, James. In October 2019, she pled guilty to the charges and was sentenced to 906 days of probation.
Featured Image by Amber Portwood / Instagram