|Angelo Mathews Quick Info
|Date of Birth
|June 2, 1987
Angelo Mathews is a professional Sri Lankan cricketer, fitness enthusiast, and motivational speaker who has captained Sri Lanka in all formats of cricket. Also, he was a part of the Sri Lankan side that won the 2014 ICC World Twenty20.
Angelo Davis Mathews
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Angelo Mathews studied at St. Joseph’s College, a selective-entry Roman Catholic school in Colombo.
Professional Cricketer, Fitness Enthusiast, Motivational Speaker
- Father – Tyronne Mathews (Cricket Coach)
- Mother – Monica Mathews (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Trevin Suresh Mathews (Older Brother) (Former Cricketer), Melinda Mathew (Younger Sister)
6 ft or 183 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Angelo Mathews has dated –
- Heshanie Silva – He started going out with Heshanie Silva and after being together for several years, the duo decided to tie the knot on July 18, 2013, at Cinnamon Grand Hotel. The wedding was attended by many noted figures including former president Mahinda Rajapakse. The duo has been blessed with 2 children – a son named Angelo Durant Mathews and a daughter.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Asian and White)
Angelo Mathews is of Tamil descent on his father’s side and has Burgher roots on his mother’s side.
Salt and Pepper
Angelo Mathews has done endorsement work for a variety of brands such as Milo.
Angelo Mathews Facts
- In September 2005, he made his List A debut for Sri Lanka Under-23 against New Zealand A at Police Park Ground in Colombo.
- In the 2006 U-19 Cricket World Cup held in Sri Lanka, Angelo Mathews captained the Sri Lankan cricket team.
- He went on to make his first-class debut for Colombo Cricket Club in November 2006.
- In November 2008, he made his international debut in a One Day International match against Zimbabwe.
- Angelo Mathews went on to make his Test debut in July 2009 in a match against Pakistan in Galle, Sri Lanka.
- In September 2011, he scored his debut century in a match against Australia.
- He was appointed as the T20I captain (with Lasith Malinga serving as his deputy) in 2012.
- Angelo Mathews succeeded Mahela Jayawardene to become the ODI and Test captain in February 2013. With this, he achieved the feat of becoming Sri Lanka’s youngest-ever Test captain at 25.
- In 2014, he was the captain of the Sri Lankan team that won the noteworthy Test series in England.
- Angelo Mathews scored his first ODI century against India on November 16, 2014, in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- He was named as captain of the World Test XI by ICC in 2014.
- In the 2017 Indian Premier League season, he was part of Delhi Daredevils.
- Angelo Mathews has been one of the most sought-after players in the Premier League and was bought by the Pune Warriors for US$950,000 in the past.
- He was named the captain of Kandy‘s squad for the 2017–18 Super Four Provincial Tournament in March 2018 and then went on to captain the team for the 2018 Super Provincial One Day Tournament.
- For the 2018 SLC T20 League, he was named as the captain in August 2018.
- For the inaugural edition of the Lanka Premier League, Angelo Mathews became a part of the Colombo Kings in October 2020.
- He announced on July 7, 2021, that he was considering retiring from all formats of international cricket and stated that he had not signed the tour contract with SLC for the limited-overs series against India. He also went on to complain about the unethical treatment by the management towards the senior players in the team.
- For the 3rd installment of the Lanka Premier League, he was drafted by the Colombo Stars in July 2022.
- Angelo Mathews was part of the Sri Lankan squad that made the finals of the 2009 ICC World Twenty20, 2011 Cricket World Cup, and 2012 ICC World Twenty20.
Featured Image by amit_kamath1990 / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED