|Anurag Kashyap Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 10, 1972|
Anurag Kashyap is an Indian film director, writer, editor, producer, and actor who is best known for directing several gritty and dark films including Black Friday (2007), Dev.D (2009), Gulaal (2009), Gangs of Wasseypur (2012), Ugly (2014), and Raman Raghav 2.0 (2016). He has produced/co-produced critically acclaimed films such as Aamir (2008), Udaan (2010), Shahid (2012), The Lunchbox (2013), Queen (2014), and Masaan (2015). Anurag has also co-founded the film production companies Anurag Kashyap Films and Phantom Films. Apart from films, short films, and documentaries, he has been involved in varying capacities with TV/Web series such as Yudh (2014), Sacred Games (2018-2019), and Ghoul (2018). In 2013, the Government of France honored him with the ‘Ordre des Arts et des Lettres’ (Knight of the Order of Arts and letters) for his contribution to films.
Anurag Singh Kashyap
Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Anurag completed his schooling from the Green School Dehradun and The Scindia School in Gwalior. He then joined Hans Raj College (University of Delhi) and graduated in 1993 with a degree in zoology.
Film Director, Writer, Editor, Producer, Actor
- Father – Sri Prakash Singh (Retired Engineer)
- Siblings – Abhinav Kashyap (Younger Brother) (Film Director, Screenwriter), Anubhuti Kashyap (Sister) (Film Production Assistant)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anurag has dated –
- Aarti Bajaj (1997–2009) – Anurag married Indian film editor Aarti Bajaj in 1997 and they have a daughter together named Aaliya. The couple got divorced in 2009.
- Kalki Koechlin (2011-2015) – Anurag got married to actress and writer Kalki Koechlin in 2011. They had first met on the sets of the 2009 film Dev.D, in Ooty. The pair parted ways in 2013 and eventually got divorced in 2015.
- Shubhra Shetty (2017-Present) – Anurag began dating Shubhra Shetty, an associate at one of his production companies, in 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
- Stocky frame
- Sports a rugged beard
- Has a mole near his nose
- Short-cropped hair
Anurag Kashyap Facts
- He began his career by writing for TV series and got his breakthrough in the Hindi-language film industry when he co-wrote the script for the 1998 crime-drama film Satya.
- His directorial debut film, a crime thriller called Paanch (2003), struggled to get a theatrical or home-video release as the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in India objected to the depiction of violence, drug abuse, and filthy language in it. After Anurag agreed to cut major portions of the film, CBFC cleared it for a release but it could not make it to the big screen due to issues with the film’s producer. It had to be eventually screened only at film festivals.
- For the 2010 coming-of-age drama film Udaan, he won the Filmfare award for both ‘Best Story’ and ‘Best Screenplay’. For the 2012 crime drama film Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1, he won the Filmfare award for ‘Best Dialogue’. He won his 4th Filmfare award in the 4th different category of ‘Best Editing’ for the comedy-drama film Queen (2016).
- He has served on the juries of several film festivals including the 2009 Venice Film Festival, the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, the 2013 Marrakech Film Festival, and the 2015 Busan International Film Festival.
Featured Image by Anurag Kashyap / Instagram